gym workout advice - first timer

Options
Hi
I've recently just signed up to the gym, I have had my induction so can use it and know how to work the equipment but I haven't had a plan yet I was told to just get used to the gym and sort a plan in a week or so but I was just wanting a bit of advice on the best machines to start with until I get a proper workout plan - my current goal is to lose weight and tone up (my stomach being my biggest problem area)
I know I can ask the instructor but feel like a bit of an idiot after just having my induction and it's my first time using the gym so all a bit new and scary lol

Thanks

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You only feel like an idiot because you aren't comfortable with what you should be doing.... so make a plan- before you get to the gym- have an idea of what you want to do.

Go when there are less people if that works for you. Take your time don't rush.

know that there is certain gym etiquette- wiping down your machines- asking about rotating in/how many sets you have left- re-racking weights- all important things.

Please please please- do some research on free weights/bar bell training- don't be scared of that section of the gym. The more prepared you are- the less uncomfortable you will feel.

If you have a walk around- have someone a trainer or staff member show you how to adjust the racks and stuff so you are safe. Those can be tricky sometimes- safety rack railing things they function on the same premise- but different manufactures go about it in different ways and if you already don't know- it can be uncomfortable standing there fiddling with equipment.

look up
    New Rules of Lifting for Woman
    Starting Strength
    Strong Lifts
    Strong Curves.

All great programs to get you started with free weight/barbell training. useful things to know.

Also remember- there is no such thing as a "woman's" training program. Or a "Man's training" program. There are just lifting programs.

what's good for the goose- is good for the gander!

Good luck to you!!! Don't be afraid to ask questions!
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to look like an idiot when asking questions! Just remember: the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked!

As someone who works in customer service (albeit in a library not a gym) people asking 'stupid questions' are my bread and butter! I don't think they're stupid/an idiot for asking it, because I get asked that question by someone at least once a week!
  • ct320
    ct320 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies :) I will deffo do some research and look into those!
    Think I'm just feeling a bit out my depth because it's something I thought I'd never have the guts to do on my own but I've got to the point where I really wanted to do it so thought I'd just go for it! I'm sure in a week or 2 once I've got used to it I will feel a bit more confident and just relax and enjoy it :)
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer a beginner class for the weight room? Do you get any personal trainer time with your membership? If not, could you pay a personal trainer at the gym to set up a program to get you started?
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I've recently just signed up to the gym, I have had my induction so can use it and know how to work the equipment but I haven't had a plan yet I was told to just get used to the gym and sort a plan in a week or so but I was just wanting a bit of advice on the best machines to start with until I get a proper workout plan - my current goal is to lose weight and tone up (my stomach being my biggest problem area)
    I know I can ask the instructor but feel like a bit of an idiot after just having my induction and it's my first time using the gym so all a bit new and scary lol

Thanks

I wanted to add, you will not be able to "tone up" your abdomen. You have lose that layer of fat before you can see the muscles underneath. (Calorie Deficit)

But the awesome part is that working out and lifting 'heavy' allows you to keep and maintain those lovely muscles so that when the fat is gone they will have that definition and look amazing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    seems like now is the most natural time to ask questions and look for direction.

any of the programs already suggested are great. so long as you are hitting every body area at least twice a week, and its not so high volume it turns you off, you really can't go wrong

I wouldn't recommend that you just sort of go in there an wing it without a plan. thats something you don't really want to do until you've got some more expereince, and even then a plan is probably better.
  • hosegirl
    hosegirl Posts: 157
    Options
    I felt the same way about the gym. Lucky for me the gym I belong to had a 14 week nutrition and exercise classes. AI also agree if you can afford a personal trainer for 2-3 times a week for 6 weeks you will be amazed the difference it make. It just someone to get yuo started. New Rules for Lifting is good once you have a routine in place and see results. Ask about the resistance band. They can give yu a work out.going.
  • kateuzairi
    Options
    Good luck it's a scary thing to do , I've just joined the gym and it can feel a bit intimidating but I just started talking to a few different people and got some good advice and found a lot of people in there are in the same boat as us . I hope you find something that you really enjoy using in the gym .