Protein and Fiber Intake

heidiu
heidiu Posts: 1
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I go over on my fiber and protein "budget" everyday. You wouldn't think it's possible to get too much fiber and protein but if it wasn't then I wouldn't have big red negative number staring at me at the end of every day. So my questions are: Is too much fiber and protein hindering my weight loss?

Replies

• championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Always taught that to much of anything is not good! With that being said, Fiber helps keep you full[eat less]. Protein is important to repairing body. The two catagories we are concerned about are calories and carbs. If you manage these two, you will be alright. Remember to eat ALL your alloted carbs and calories for the day![body can tell if not and sabatage you and fight weight loss]! You can choose if you want to include your exercising in total calories[we don't]. If you complete this everyday you will hit your goal! "Took a while to gain weight will take just as long to lose it" [enjoy the journey]
  • Hey, I'm in no way a medical expert but I guess a general rule is to keep a balanced diet between fat (good), carbs and protein. Basic calorie intake will determine your overall weight although certain foods can fuel your metabolism helping you burn more calories than other foods (berries for example are good for fast metabolism). If you're exercising, then the amount of protein, carbs and fat will make a difference. Simply speaking, low intensity exercise burns fat (walking, swimming), medium intensity burns carbs (football, jogging) and sugar is needed for high intensity exercise (sprinting, weights). Protein is needed for repairing muscles after exercise so depending on your exercise levels and intensity, it's not necessarily a bad thing to go over your daily allowances for each category.

Hope that helps!
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    MFP has protein/carbs/fat set up on a particular ratio.

I changed mine so its 40/40/20

you can do this under goals. Change to custom goals and then change the ratio to what you choose not what they say.

Hope this helps so you dont see red again :)
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Right on,good info,copyed this to remember! Keep posting !:tongue:
  • Americans in general never have their daily allowance of fiber, so if you're coming close or exceeding, you're doing better than most. I find it tough to get to the protein and fiber allowances each day without ample portions of meat and whole grains. And, if I eat out, and almost never get there, while exceeding my sodium intake dramatically.

I really don't worry about the big red numbers unless it's in the fat, carbs, sodium, or cholestoral lines. It's not like too much fiber, calcium or Vitamin C will be a bad thing.
This discussion has been closed.