my neck/back is soooo stiff!

chanstriste13
chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
i have been sick since saturday, so i haven't been to the gym since friday. is it possible that my upper body has gotten this sore from not working out in 4 days? it's horrible! i'm back on schedule as of today, so i'm hoping my class will work out the kinks. i'm going to make sure that if i am not going to the gym for a period of time that i at least stretch out everyday! this is sooooo not cool!

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'd think it is probably more related to you being sick (although I'm not sure what you have - a lot of illness' affect your muscles). Gentle movements like stretching will help you feel better and get out the kinks and stuff.
  • As a healthcare worker, there is not a lot here to work with but neck and back stiffness are symptoms of other possible ailments. I'd suggest you research WebMD and see if you can further define what has caused your pain. If there is any kind of elevation in temperature associated with this, you need to consult a physician immediately.

This WebMD link might help you start you research.
    http://www.webmd.com/search/search_results/default.aspx?query=neck and back stiffness&sourceType=undefined
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    I'm pretty sure that it's playing a major part in the pain from personal experience. These are my suggestions to help deal with the muscle and joint pains from heavy work outs;

1. Try to vary your exercise to different muscle groups.
    2. Eat more proteins as it helps to rebuild muscle tissue quicker than other food groups.
    3. Take at least 2 days off a week from your workout to give the body time to recover if you're a novice to exercising.
    4. Consider taking a good quality multi-vitamin supplement and something like Glucosamine/ Chondroitin/ Cod Liver Oil to help your joints and replace lost minerals in your workout.
    5. Warm up and warm down after your workout. So many people ignore this and end up paying a price, even pro atheletes pick up injuries from ignoring warm ups.
    6. Consider relaxing in a warm bath or sauna if you have the time, it makes the workout so much worthwhile.....Oh and if you can get someone to slip a little massage in too, it'll cap it off!

Don't let the aches and pains put you off, your body will eventually get used to it.

T
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    thanks for all the advice, everyone!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    My suggestion is of course listen to those above, but also consider seeing a massage therapist. The massage works the toxins out of your muscles and if you drink lots of water like the suggest it removes them from the body. And it feels ooohhhh so good. I usually go to mine about twice a month, just to keep things moving smoothly.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Heating pad. Works wonders and you can sit at your desk and get unstiff/unsore.

Stretching and varying the muscles you work is also a good idea though. Never work the same muscle group on back to back days.
  • GingerDarlene
    GingerDarlene Posts: 164 Member
    I have this all the time; I see a chiropractor; use icy hot patches. Also walking helps; if i dont workout and stay in bed too much; my back kills me.
This discussion has been closed.