my fitness pal weight vs scales

Options
Just a quick question I have been doing high intensity workouts twice a week for four weeks and log my food diary every day. At the end of each day it says If you ate like this for five weeks you will be x pound I know it's just to give you a rough idea and everyone will be different but when I got on scales I expected to be slightly lower than what I was anyone any tips or ideas as to why thanks

Replies

• bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Don't rely too heavily on the MFP weight guesstimate or you'll be disappointed (maybe, or eventually). It's a good tool to use to see how your intake affects your rate of loss (it's a good motivator if you overeat and you see that number go up from the previous day!), but the only way to know what you'll weigh in five weeks is to wait five weeks and weigh yourself.

ETA: Have more patience. Four weeks isn't that long. Also, watch your sodium, drink a lot of water, realize the impact a new exercise program will have on your body, and keep going. You could be losing inches.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's just a raw projection. Weight loss isn't a linear function, so it's not going to be right on...plus, every day isn't like today in most cases.

Also, there are all kinds of other things the cause weight fluctuations that have nothing to do with fat which make this whole thing very non-linear...new or increased intensity on your workouts will cause you to retain fluids for muscle repair...electrolyte imbalance and/or a big sodium day will cause you to retain fluids...more or less waste in your system on any given day, etc.
  • jolenegrew
    jolenegrew Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your replies I drink about 2 litres a day of water was drinking alot more until a week or so ago didn't want to drown my system either.

Just hope I see a bit more weight loss soon :-)