Weighing Daily

Options
I'm considering making the switch from weighing once/twice a week to weighing daily.

I've already seen how too much sodium, TOM or a hard workout can have a huge impact on the next morning's weigh-in. I get frustrated when I work hard for days, only to not see the loss.

I've had quite a few people recommend I weigh in daily. I'll be able to see the downward trend, and even if I have bad days, I'll be able to see it correct itself.

I'm looking at the Runtastic Libra app.

Does anyone have any experience with daily weighing, or the app?

Thanks!

Replies

• TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    For the most part I have been a daily weigher. I stopped for a while and did once or twice a week for a couple months, but I actually gained weight (Yes, my eating played a big part, couldn't stop myself from eating the Christmas cookies!). So I went back to daily weigh-in's. It's just better for me to track the daily trends, and know when I need to back off the sodium or drink more water.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you can do it without freaking out about every little 1/2 lb then go for it. I usually do.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is just part of what I do. I don't change my weight on MFP unless it's been steady for a few days. Especially right now when it's going up. I stay in denial as long as long as I can :P
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    For the most part I have been a daily weigher. I stopped for a while and did once or twice a week for a couple months, but I actually gained weight (Yes, my eating played a big part, couldn't stop myself from eating the Christmas cookies!). So I went back to daily weigh-in's. It's just better for me to track the daily trends, and know when I need to back off the sodium or drink more water.

Do you use a specific app, or do you remember your weights a different way?

Yup, the daily trends are exactly what I want to keep an eye on!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of weighing every three weeks.

Weighing daily can cause serious frustration and depression, to the point that many times we throw our hands up and wonder why we are even doing this.

Weighing every three weeks typically shows a loss and is more motivating.
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I personally don't think it's necessary or even helpful to weigh daily. There are always going to be fluctuations from day to day. It's about creating healthy habits to get lasting results. Weight loss will happen with those habits, but certainly won't happen overnight. It's nearly impossible to measure changes in your habits with daily weigh ins. I think once a week is more than enough. In my journey (I've lost 30 pounds so far), I don't even weigh myself that often. I weigh myself on results tracking days - usually every 4 weeks. Because I stick to a strict meal plan and exercise daily, I'm not worried about the number on the scale, but focus on how I look and feel. That's a much better measure of success.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think weighing daily is a good idea for a couple of reasons.

It is less discouraging to see the number bounce up a little knowing that tomorrow it could bounce right back down. Rather than feeling like an entire week's worth of work was for nothing, it's more like a one day setback. After a while, seeing the scale bump up by a pound or so from yesterday won't even phase you.

Also, if you're only weighing once a week, it's easier to let yourself go overboard (especially the few days right after a weigh in), thinking you'll make up for it later. So it keeps you more accountable to staying within your goals.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you can do it without freaking out about every little 1/2 lb then go for it. I usually do.
    This. Realize that you will see daily fluctuations up and down, or sometimes no change at all. Don't let it mess with your head.

In addition to weighing, you might want to track your measurements once or twice a month as well. I went six months without any significant change on the scale (just up and down the same few pounds), but dropped a full size during that time. Take progress pics as well.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day or every couple of days, just depends on my mood really. When I have my TOM, I usually still weigh myself and get all excited when I drop a big amount of weight when it's finished! :)
  • KarenGMT
    Options
    I weigh daily. If you do want to do that but get discouraged about a bump up from the previous day, just look back a week or two ago to get the right perspective. If *that* shows a gain, then you know you need to switch things up.

Good luck!
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it's necessary or even helpful to weigh daily. There are always going to be fluctuations from day to day. It's about creating healthy habits to get lasting results. Weight loss will happen with those habits, but certainly won't happen overnight. It's nearly impossible to measure changes in your habits with daily weigh ins. I think once a week is more than enough. In my journey (I've lost 30 pounds so far), I don't even weigh myself that often. I weigh myself on results tracking days - usually every 4 weeks. Because I stick to a strict meal plan and exercise daily, I'm not worried about the number on the scale, but focus on how I look and feel. That's a much better measure of success.

Took the words out of my mouth....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This.

I weigh daily then put it into an excel spreadsheet, which graphs it and plots a trend line. Last week I was down to 157, today 160, the trend line is somewhere in between those numbers.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's all about personal preference. Of course it's not necessary, and it's only a bad thing if little increases affect you emotionally in a negative way. I weigh every morning under the same conditions. But I am able to handle the fluctuations, and I like to see the patterns. I find sometimes it takes until the second day for an increase to show up there, but it's definitely the reason I started paying closer attention to my salt intake. I also take my measurments every 2 weeks. Figure out what works for you and do that.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I weigh every day. I roll out of bed, get my son some milk weigh myself and then do my morning workout. If the scale has gone up a bit, then I use that knowledge as an opportunity to add an extra bit of time to my workout, if it's gone down a decent amount then sometimes I reward myself with a bigger breakfast than normal, and a longer jog.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I use the libra app, I like it for its simplicity.
    I weigh myself daily to see the impact of what I do (good or bad) does to my body. also I am experimenting with different foods and the "bloat" factor.

if you get frustrated with the numbers fluctuating I would suggest weekly or monthly weigh ins, but if you dont mind seeing the scale move up and down...alot...then do it daily to see the trend. =)
  • alibee88
    Options
    I've really gotten into the habit of weighing daily recently. I use trendweight.com to smooth out the daily water weight fluctuations. I love watching my trend line go down everyday.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. If you do want to do that but get discouraged about a bump up from the previous day, just look back a week or two ago to get the right perspective. If *that* shows a gain, then you know you need to switch things up.

Good luck!

Wise words
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I do. and I use an app on iPhone called 'True Weight' that basically looks at trends in your weight fluctuations to report your 'actual' weight. I find it helpful
  • dj59lane
    dj59lane Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigh-in person do it first thing in the morning
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I weighed daily for a while, and used Libra to record. The app is really great...although I found you need about 2 weeks of data to get a good trend line. My trend line was all over the place when I first started because there wasn't enough data for it to figure out which way to go...so just expect that it might show you gaining at first.