Low(er)-calorie foods that we couldn't live without...

Options
As I've been adjusting my eating habits over the past few months, I've been looking at nutrition information more carefully and as a result have tried some new foods that now I couldn't live without! These are the weekly "staples" at the grocery store that really help us stay on track while fulfilling the random cravings that might normally kill an otherwise healthy day. So... I wanted to share mine and get some ideas from others that maybe I've missed but should add to my list! I realize it's all prepackage and processed, but since I never have time to cook I'm doing the best I can.

My staples:
Jello Mousse Temptations (helps with chocolate cravings, especially during TOM...)
Wheat Thins Flatbreads, Tuscan Herb (for when I need a cracker-like crunch)
Laughing Cow Light Cheese wedges
Chobani Greek Yogurts and Breyer's Light yogurts
100 Calorie packs of crackers or cookies (great for lunches at work)
Fiber One Bars

What are your favorites?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Fiber One Strawberry Yogurt (it's delicious and 60 calories w/ 5g of fiber!)
    Light String Cheese
    Blue Corn Tortilla Chips from Trader Joes and Guacamole
    Herbal tea or Green tea (I drink 2+ cups a day)
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Great post idea!:flowerforyou:
    nut thins crackers and the new mini tubs of strawberry cream cheese as an occasional treat.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Almonds
    String Cheese
    Tuna Fish
    Sunflower Seeds (for that Salty Craving)
  • Buccinator
    Options
    As I've been adjusting my eating habits over the past few months, I've been looking at nutrition information more carefully and as a result have tried some new foods that now I couldn't live without! These are the weekly "staples" at the grocery store that really help us stay on track while fulfilling the random cravings that might normally kill an otherwise healthy day. So... I wanted to share mine and get some ideas from others that maybe I've missed but should add to my list! I realize it's all prepackage and processed, but since I never have time to cook I'm doing the best I can.

My staples:
    Jello Mousse Temptations (helps with chocolate cravings, especially during TOM...)
    Fiber One Bars

What are your favorites?

I think pandalady is my twin. I use all of those, plus sun-dried tomatoes, apples, and romaine lettuce. At least one of the things mentioned seems to work its way into my daily menu.
  • bocagirl
    Options
    Arnolds Sandwich thins
    Laughing Cow Light Wedges
    Chocolate Chips (a small handful goes a long way for a chocolate craving)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I agree with Arnold's and laughing Cow - I also go in spurts (mostly in winter) when I eat tons of spaghetti squash and homemade tomato sauce. Yummy fun-textured veggies and almost no calories. Gotta love that!
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    im right there with you on the greek yogurt - i have some every day i love it!
    also i look forward to my breakfast of porridge every morning - mmm, warm, healthy and filling
    fruit - every type of fruit apart from mango yuck!
  • jenni185
    Options
    Low fat fudge bars....110 calories of pure chocolate bliss and little guilt :)

100 calorie Ritz and a wedge of Laughing Cow low fat cheese spread.

And lots and lots of water.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    eggs, oatmeal and whole wheat bread are my staples.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Love the chocolate chip idea thanks!! I recently found Dippin' Sticks they make apple slices with caramel and nuts or apple slices with caramel or carrot sticks with ranch they also make apple sticks with yogurt. I love that my two year old thinks they are a real treat!!! Yea!! He is growing up right ;) His favorite is the apple with yogurt and of course he cant have the one with the nuts. Also I have learned that 4-8 oz of Orange juice depending on how many calories I need that day really fills me up...I have it as an actual snack with a bananna MMM! I have also learned that the low fat food with sweetners just makes me hungry so I have cut the low fat from my diet for the most part. If I want PB I have regular but just watch the calorie count and serving size. I also am in love with Stacy's Simply Naked Pita chips dipped in Laughing Cow Swiss oh and lets see... I make fruit salad with Strawberries blueberries bannanas and unsweetened coconut very filling and very low fat!!!!:smile: Hope this wasnt too wordy here is a run down for those who do not want to read all this :wink: :laugh: :wink:
    Dippin Sticks (Apple with Yogurt, Carrots with Ranch Apple with Caramel)
    4-8 Oz Orange Juice
    banana
    Fruit salad with Blueberries bananas strawberries and unsweetened coconut
    Stacy's Simply Nakes Pita Chips with Laughing cow
  • ilikeredlipstick
    Options
    I couldn't live without:

String Cheese
    Skinny Cow Truffle Bars
    Grapes (When I want to munch munch munch without the guilt)
    Yo Crunch 100 Calorie Yogurts (Gives me a chocolate fix!)
    Thomas' Bagel Thins
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    White Rice
    Franks Red Hot
    Heinz Ketchup
    Jello Mousse Temptations
    Quaker True Delights Quakes Rice Snacks
    Kudos 100 cal granola bar.

All these can be found in my house.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The pre-made salads. I know they cost WAY more than making them myself, but they make it possible for me to just grab a bowl of salad for part of my lunch or as a quick side dish with dinner. I love them! Plus a $2 bag lasts like 2 - 3 days, which is way longer than any other side dish I could buy.

Kraft Rice Krispy Bars totally help my sweet cravings.
    Healthy Gourmet Steamers for lunchs can not be beat! Again expensive but totally worth it.
    A low sugar jam (I am blanking on what brand we use)
  • scolnik
    Options

My staples:
    Fiber One Bars

What are your favorites?

Wow you got almost all my favorites on there! I just recently discovered the Laughing Cow cheese wedges and they are amazing. I'm also a huge fan of the Arnold's 100-calorie "thins" which are great for that sandwich craving. Also on my "can't-live-without-them" list are: summer fruits (peaches!), light cottage cheese, raw almonds, raw cashews, and anything with greek yogurt.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Ooo Ooo Oooo!!! I have to say the Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwhiches. They are 140 calories! That is my must have before bed treat!!!!! :laugh:

100892.png
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Poached eggs for breakfast! Seems to fill me up Waaaaay longer than anything else.
    Peppermint tea - after every meal, also redbush with vanilla tea too.
    Aldi's Del Rio orange and mango smoothie
    Blackberries - plundered off the bush at the side of my cycle track home.
    Paul Newman light balsamic vinagarette
    Butterkist microwave popcorn
    Iceland Choc Ices
  • HerbieSue
    Options
    I'm loving Almond Breeze unsweetened chocolate milk in my whey chocolate protein shake with flaxseed, vanilla & cinnamon, very low calorie and filling! (sometimes I add frozen strawberries, always been a fan of strawberries and chocolate)
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    whole tomatoes from costco,

rice cakes from Ralphs, 5 cal less than Quaker and fairly good quality, only 30 cal each,

Fiber One original cereal,

nonfat milk,

nonfat cottage cheese,

Starkist Albacore Tuna in pouch-low sodium water pack,

apples,

pb2,

bananas,

Crystal Lite, tub makes 8 glasses, make fresh pitcher each night, nice and cold for next day, just need to drink whole pitcher to get my 8,

Equal, in my instant coffee--easy, will not give up my 2TBS of half and half, my 'treat"

hard boiled egg yolks

LCC of course,
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    low fat string cheese
    egg whites
    lowfat yogurt
    ... and, I'd have never have guessed it, but...

Starkist Chicken in Water on soda crackers. Here's a testimonial - my 3 yr old put down (AND DIDN'T FINISH) his ice cream and cake so that he could help me eat my chicken on crackers! True story. And my very finicky 6 yr old said he liked it too.
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Tofu Shirataki! A whole bag is amazingly filling and costs practically nothing!