HRM Questions, advice pls!!

Options
I want to get into the habit of using an HRM. They seem confusing to me but I would like to keep better track of calories burned. I've never had one.

How do they work? What are the best ones? Which are the most precise? I've seen that some need the chest thing while others don't, which should I get? I was thinking about getting the one below.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-jewellery-watches-New-MIO-heart-rate-monitor-watch-W0QQAdIdZ562115470

Replies

• Scuds_NC
    Scuds_NC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The good ones work with a chest strap, that you wear just under your sternum. Polar is probably the most popular, and for good reason, as they've been in the HRM game for quite a while. The FT4 is very popular, and for the money, is likely impossible to beat.

Are you looking to track calories being burnt all day, or just during exercise?
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I'm looking to mainly just track calories during exercise. I want to make sure I am burning as many calories as I think I am during my HIIT workouts and jogging.
  • Scuds_NC
    Scuds_NC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In that case, I would say an FT4 or FT7 would probably suit you just fine, but I'm sure other people have some great info to offer up too!

ETA: I just saw your link. I honestly don't know anything about the MIO one way or another, maybe someone can help on that one?
  • NoExcusesFitnessCoach
    Options
    I also use a Polar and find mine to be very accurate. I've used it during HIIT workouts as well. Almost any of the models would work well, depending on any other features you might want. I use the RS300x, but there are plenty of others out there that will do the trick.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    I'm really loving the FT4 Polar. I think I'm going to pick that up as soon as I can. :)