Free Foods?

Options
I had to loose weight several years ago and never counted vegetables such as Tomatoes, Lettuce, cucumber, onion, peppers or celery. I lost weight nearly every week and even made soups using carrots, swede, onions and again had these as fillers and with every meal to fill me up and make my plate look full. Yet when I put in a salad that consists of the Toms, Lettuce, peppers cucumber and celery it tells me I have eaten 122 calories. Which is right and it now means I have gone over my daily allowance by that amount. Surely the free veg are 9% water and so should not count. Even the dietician at the hospital tell me not to count the salad & veg as long as it has no dressing on and does not consist of veg such as mange tout, sugar snap peas, baby sweet corn or the winter veg such as parsnip. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• tegalicious
    Options
    All calories count when you are using a calorie counting weight loss system.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    All calories count when you are using a calorie counting weight loss system.

This^^^^^^
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    If you are a person that is counting calories, then you have to count ALL of them, not just some of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    a calorie is just a unit of energy...they all count.
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    As long as its fresh veggies and it used to work for you then I would not beat yourself up over it. True, it is some calories but its not like an extra 500 from ice cream or a cheeseburger.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I had to loose weight several years ago and never counted vegetables such as Tomatoes, Lettuce, cucumber, onion, peppers or celery. I lost weight nearly every week and even made soups using carrots, swede, onions and again had these as fillers and with every meal to fill me up and make my plate look full. Yet when I put in a salad that consists of the Toms, Lettuce, peppers cucumber and celery it tells me I have eaten 122 calories. Which is right and it now means I have gone over my daily allowance by that amount. Surely the free veg are 9% water and so should not count. Even the dietician at the hospital tell me not to count the salad & veg as long as it has no dressing on and does not consist of veg such as mange tout, sugar snap peas, baby sweet corn or the winter veg such as parsnip. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

If you ate it, your body counts it. It counts.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    As long as its fresh veggies and it used to work for you then I would not beat yourself up over it. True, it is some calories but its not like an extra 500 from ice cream or a cheeseburger.
    calories from vegetables and fruit store exactly the same way as calories from ice cream or cheeseburgers, if they put you at a surplus. All calories count.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree... all calories count, but you are way better off eating 120 calories of salad than eating a candy bar!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    All calories count. There are programs like Weight Watchers that factor in those "free" foods for you already, but this isn't one of them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yup, I agree... all calories count, but you are way better off eating 120 calories of salad than eating a candy bar!

Not if the candy bar is 120 calories and you have already met your macros...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    AFAIK, the only reason fruits and veggies are "free foods" is to get people to eat more of them.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yes you've gone over your daily allowance, but that probably means you're still in a deficit for the day. Depending on what your goals are, you're probably set up for a 500-1000 calorie daily deficit. So going "over" by 122 calories, still means you're in a deficit, so yes you'll lose even if you don't count those 122 calories. But if you are counting calories, you should count all of them. If you eat 1500 calories of "countable" food, and then 500 calories of "non-countable" foods, you could eliminate your deficit.
  • lessofless
    lessofless Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do what is right for you. I wouldn't worry too much about tracking those vegetables. I generally do for the most part, but I'm not worried if I go over my intake when I eat a cucumber. It's better to be eating those things that others. I know a lot of people who don't track their vegetables (at least not low calorie ones).

You can use this program anyway that is right for you. If you don't want to count your vegetables, Don't! As long as you keep eating them.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Not if the candy bar is 120 calories and you have already met your macros...

Oh yes, this!

Also, I accept free foods. ..but I log them ;D