Interval Training v. Regular Walking

Options
Is interval training - say for 20 minutes, ranging between 3.0-4.5 mph on a treadmill more effective or less effective than 40 minutes on the treadmill at 3.3 mph.

I have heard so much about interval training and how it helps. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Any input is appreciated.

Replies

• fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    Interval training burns more energy. So technically it does become more effective
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training

ok wikipedia says that training at same intensity for longer periods may just give you the same results.
    Personally i like to switch it up. Some days i will have a long steady run. other days i will do 25 min of intervals. I feel that it improves my running. and I do not get bored.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I much prefer interval training, and it's generally accepted as better at burning fat than a constant steady pace. There are quite a few workout programs built on interval training out there. I like to do the hills mode when on the elliptical and stationary bike. And when I run, I'll run for 10 minutes, walk, and run for another 10 minutes. I'd suggest trying to walk or jog intervals to mix things up. Your body gets used to exercise after a while. For me walking at a steady pace flat barely gets my heart rate up. But you can also increase the incline of the treadmill for a few minutes at a time and that will really improve your workout.
  • dimplesgreen
    Options
    I enjoy interval training. I have a couple of DVD where Denise Austin does this and just when the aerobics is getting tough she switches. The minute of weight lifting is almost like a short break for me. I'm just getting started AGAIN on my weight loss journey and it one of the DVDs I cleaned the dust off. :ohwell:
  • rolandhulme
    rolandhulme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    How funny - I JUST discovered Interval Training yesterday and I LOVE it. It's what big-time athletes use and increases your fitness far quicker than lower intensity/longer duration cardio.
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think interval training is the best way to go... I try to do a system of cardiovascular exercise known as High Intensity Cardio Interval Training - which has definitely worked for me. The premise is to jam your heart rate to near maximum for a period of time and then back it off for a period of time, bringing your heart rate back to your target heart rate range. I've worked my way up to walking for a 1/4 mile at 4.0, then jogging at 5.0 for 1/4 mile, then walk at 4.0, then jog at 6.0...and so on. 6.0 is as fast as I can go for a 1/4 mile - so I'm still working my way up. I do this for about 3.5 miles, and it's a great workout!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I took up Interval Training to learn how to run.. and I love it. My time goes by much faster on the treadmill because I am switching back and forth between running and walking.

My trainer started me off on a very simple training for running two weeks ago... he had me Walk 2 minutes @ 2.5 and jog for 30 seconds @4.0.. I am now walking at 3.0 for 2 minutes and jogging at 4.7 for 40 seconds
  • lucijakordic
    Options
    Once in awhile I use an app called "IntervalRunner" which has presets and allows you to customize your intervals. I noticed interval training on the treadmill (along with cardio classes) made a difference in my physique.
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    I definitely starting seeing more results when I added interval training to my workout.
  • ShaneT99
    ShaneT99 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Is interval training - say for 20 minutes, ranging between 3.0-4.5 mph on a treadmill more effective or less effective than 40 minutes on the treadmill at 3.3 mph.

I have heard so much about interval training and how it helps. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Any input is appreciated.

Interval training at 3.0 to 4.5 mph for 20 minutes probably isn't going to do much for you compared to walking at 3.3 mph for 40 minutes. Now, if you were going to do high intensity intervals for 20 minutes then I would say that would certainly be more beneficial than 40 minutes of walking, with high intensity being defined as something like the following:

Warmup - Moderately fast walk for 5 minutes

60 seconds - run as hard and as fast as you can
    120 seconds - moderately fast walk or slow jog

Repeat 60/120 cycle above for 3 to 6 cycles.

Cooldown - Easy 5 minute walk.

Don't be afraid to push yourself. I see far too many people going for leisurely strolls on the treadmill when they could be really challenging themselves. I run sprints several times a week. Sometimes they are 50 yard sprints (pretty easy) and sometimes they are 300 yard sprints (very hard). They challenge me. Don't be afraid to really push yourself. You can do so much more than 4.5 mph on that treadmill. Believe it. Do it.