what to do when you cant find nutritional info for a meal?

Options
i have a 12 pound boneless pork tenderloin that i am cooking for my super bowl party, and i am trying to find recipes for it. my problem is finding nutritional information along with the few recipes that i have found. what do you do when you cant find an accurate calorie count for your meal?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    enter the ingrediants into the recipe database here...
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest either looking at the individual ingredients or you could try doing a generic search in the database and build the recipe that way.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

I agree. I do the same.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Recipe database all the way! Love that thing!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Recipe database all the way! Love that thing!

Me too! I have over 100 recipes created, and it has helped cut down on my logging time, since I occasionally recycle recipes.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Echoing recipe database. I just used it for the first time the other day -- it's awesome. Enter in all your ingredients and tell it how many servings it makes, and it calculates it for you. It'll only be as accurate as the ingredients you choose, but if you're careful, you'll definitely be in a pretty close ballpark.

It takes a bit the first time you add it, but if you don't add it, then you have to add it all manually into your diary anyway. Putting it first as a recipe means you can use it over and over again ;)
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Question on the recipe database.
    So you get your recipe in and then all you can do is log only the calories per serving..quick add ?
    Is there a way to also transfer carbs, protein, sodium etc ?
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Question on the recipe database.
    So you get your recipe in and then all you can do is log only the calories per serving..quick add ?
    Is there a way to also transfer carbs, protein, sodium etc ?

With the recipe you assemble all the ingredients from existing database entries, then state how many servings the sum of all those ingredients comes to. It'll work out the macros for you per serving.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Nope, you don't do a quick add. You click on the recipes tab when in 'add food' mode (it defaults to recent or most used tab) and select the recipe and tell it how many servings you had. It will have your macros.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to the food section. Find recipe, and create your recipe. You can do this for every homemade meal you have. I have used it for my mom's rolls, and was surprised at how little the calories are.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I do this every time. I've found that most of the time, the calorie count that recipes give you are off anyway (probably because they have no idea how to weigh food and just use cups, but I digress). Just enter everything you actually use and figure out the number of servings.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Pretend it didn't happen, what else.:tongue:
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe builder, then weigh once cooked. If my entire batch comes out to 650 grams, I enter it as 650 servings. If I eat 125 grams myself, then I enter it in my diary as eating 125 servings.