Eating Mexican Out? Here's a tip!

Becky011
Becky011 Posts: 384
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Hi All :)

Last night we went out for Mexican (power outage, didn't leave us too many options.)

Immediately i was nervous that i would go over on calories and waste my morning workout on a dinner I didn't necessarily plan for.

A few quick checks on line (and my Bf's advice) helped me come up with a good meal option.

I LOVE the chicken fajitas at this authentic mexican place. But by the time you add all the cheese, toppings and tortillas the calories are shot.

What i did was order the chicken fajitas - no cheese, no tortillas and I enjoyed the delicious fajita meat and veggies along with the healthy toppings in a sort of salad (fajita meat and veggies, lettuce, diced tomatoes, a little salsa.)

i added a little dab of sour cream (not the best) but overall it gave me a satisfying Mexican meal out and I didn't feel deprived.

And i know myself - if I feel deprived eating right I won't stick with it :)

Wanted to share with the MFP family. I hope this helps and you too can enjoy a night out for Mexican.

Replies

• cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Thanks for sharing!
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    ive been eating fajita salads for 4 months and still managed to lose 41lbs.

i eat them about every other day.

but mine are mixed with beef and chicken and then i put chile con queso on it too! its amazing, not exactly the healthiest after the queso but when i have 1000 calories remaining i know my fajita salad isnt going to hurt.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    I guess Hermine really did some serious damage in Texas......we lost our favorite tree in Olmos Park

Panchitos has great chicken fajitas and Zesty Chicken Tacos.........love em

I am going to a Mexican Rest tonite , pulled out their menu online, figured out my calories ahead of time, before we get there, Ill know what I can eat, and am looking to it........

sadly, no Margaritas...............boo hoo........but its Ok, Ive had plenty in the past, and Im too tooo too focused on losing the last of my goal weight loss to ruin it.........

Im so proud of the way we all are staying focused.............Great story abou the fajitas...thanks Lloyd
  • great idea....and way to go!!!
  • Our local mexican restaurant offers a chicken fajita salad... It's the grilled chicken, onions, peppers and mushrooms over a bed of lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and carrots. They serve it with a packet of Ranch dressing, but i use Salsa instead. OH SO GOOD! I just love it, and never feel guilty for eating it :) Also, they make homemade quacamole tableside... A few table spoons of that on the side and I'm set!

Great choice for your dinner!
  • I love having tasty guilt free options :) it was nice to incorporate all the stuff i love from my fajitas. the mexican restaurants by me dont have great salads so this was a nice substitute for me.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    becky
    Every once in a while, when I go out to them, I get the chicken fajitas taco, its just 3 strips of plain chicken breast meat, grilled

then I order one extra corn tortilla..........

I make 2 of em, and use Pico De Gallo as topping...........talk about filling

its about 200 calories for both, but VERY filling and healthy

some people rag about corn tortillas, but 3 or so a week is OK.................

Thanks for your tip........I live in Texas and Mexican food is big here, and we all love it......thanks
  • fun_mom
    fun_mom Posts: 54 Member
    Thanks for the tip! I love love love Mexican and have worried about how I might handle that when I have my next Mexican restraunt meal. Great idea!!!
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    How do you avoid the basket-o-chips and margaritas???? :)
This discussion has been closed.