Mexican or Mexican't?

Options
2»

Replies

• Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I still eat Mexican food. It's hard not to living in SoCal, we do have the best Mexican food!!! I just changed it up a bit, eating more Baja style. Lots of seafood and no fried stuff. It's still so very delish!!

21525558.png
  • OCTAVlO
    OCTAVlO Posts: 12
    Options
    Now that sounds good! I love Seafood, I know how to make soups, ceviche and shrimp cocktail, I'd like to add more variety though.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    yay!! add me!!! i know what u mean so I moved my *kitten* to Miami..lol no good Mexican food here and i hate Cuban food :D
  • OCTAVlO
    Options
    added up, did you know that Tortas cubanas are actually a product of mexico? They're know for having everything on them, and I cannot stress EVERYTHING enough, supposedly because of the full figure of Cuban startlets of the 40s-50s.
  • sgrabowicz91
    sgrabowicz91 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel you......believe me I feel you.. Mexican raised married into a Puerto Rican family...If it ain't wrapped in a tortilla at home it's deep fried at the in laws.....there's ways to cook it healthier believe me check my diary I eat my Arroz con frijoles damn near everyday...it's all about moderation with other food...and watch the tortilla those are the devil dropping those out helped me out more than I ever thought
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    added up, did you know that Tortas cubanas are actually a product of mexico? They're know for having everything on them, and I cannot stress EVERYTHING enough, supposedly because of the full figure of Cuban startlets of the 40s-50s.
    well i guess it gets messed up when cubans handle it! :P Im a Burrito chick!! :))
  • DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love tacos too.

I was surprised to learn that each corn tortilla is about 100 calories.
    So often tacos are sold double wrapped--- ba da bing that's 200 calories in just tortillas.

I'd say buy your taco meat by weight, then make your own tacos.
    You get the flavor, but you control the tortilla count and veggies.

If you like to cook, learn to make your favorite meats at home.
    There's bound to be ways to improve the nutrition, while keeping the flavor.

Ay! Asi me he engordado en Dallas!
    So this is how I've gotten fat since I moved to Dallas!

I'll eat anything on a tortilla. Lots of great Tex-Mex and Mexican restaurants here, but I've stopped going to them since I've been trying to lose weight with myfitnesspal.com. But I can't stay away forever! I would be grateful to anyone who could help me with the following:

1. What are the lower calorie options when eating at a Tex-Mex or Mexican restaurant? (Besides not eating the tortillas)

2. Lots of places I eat at are family-owned restaurants, not a chain, like Chili's. How can I possibly figure out how many calories are in those refried beans or chile rellenos or chicken in mole sauce?

(Entiendo español, pero no lo escribo bien.)
  • OCTAVlO
    Options
    If you enter the quantity and the ingridients of your meal this app can give you a ballpark figure, good luck getting rid of the tortillas!.
  • DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm part of a community organization that has its regularly scheduled meeting at a Tex-Mex restaurant, so I have to figure out something. Here's what I did last night. I decided to try to go paleo. I ordered the steak fajitas. They were served with flour tortillas, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, grated cheese, plus Mexican rice and refried beans. I ate everything on the sizzling platter: the strips of steak, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. I ate the guacamole and the pico de gallo. I did NOT eat any of the tortillas. I did NOT eat the dairy products (sour cream and cheese). I was still somewhat hungry, so I cut the servings of the rice and the beans in HALF and just ate the partial portions. To figure out about how many calories I consumed, I looked up the published (online) nutritional data for these dishes at the big chain restaurants (Chili's and On the Border). Bottom line: 890 calories. Which is kinda a lot for a meal for me. Plus I felt really frustrated.
  • angelcake684
    Options
    Mexi-CAN! I LOVE mexican food! I use to eat way too much! But I definitely don't deny myself any now. I just eat less and smarter options. I do splurge here and there. That would be a sin to cut mexican out completely!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm going to chime in here, despite being told by a professor a number of years ago that I have no business talking about Mexican food... (He was from California and insisted that as a Canadian I don't know what real Mexican food tastes like...). In any case, I definitely love what my city calls Mexican and I cannot live without it. I do eat as a treat sometimes, but more often I choose to make things at home, just tweaking the recipes (and usually forgoing the tortillas). My experience has been that if you're craving something but you don't want all the calories, just make it yourself - that way you control the ingredients!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I eat Mexican at least once a week, if not more. I've lost weight. It can be done. You just have to watch portion size.
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    LOL, my sister always says that!!!!! I went thru it, It was hard avoiding foods when i went to my mom's house when i first started which was everyday since she was watchung my babygirls....... Now its all good i enjoy her cooking once a week just like last night I couldn't say no to homemade tortillas, carne guisada, rice, beans, papas, ahhh it was great i just keep from over eating which is hard sometimes... Be a MEXEEEEECAN!!!
  • twigsymctwigerson
    Options
    We (my partner and I) eat mexican style food all the time, but we've made some decisions that put it in a more healthy direction. Fajitas are our mainstay, pollo and/or camarones are the way to go with the grilled veggies and loaded down with tomatillo picante sauce. YUM! In fact, we're having them tonight. The trick is to avoid the tortillas as much as possible. We usually share a fajita plate between the two of us with an extra order of tortillas (that's 3 small tortillas each), or you can skip the tortillas and just chow down on the fajitas with a fork and use those extra calories to enjoy some chips and salsa.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    well i guess it gets messed up when cubans handle it! :P Im a Burrito chick!! :))

This is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read around MFP. (Well, at least for a non-Cuban living in South Florida.) OP - totally doable. Like everybody said, moderation is key. If you can cook your own meals and control the ingredients even better. Good Luck.
  • Renegade706
    Options
    I know it's not the same thing but I make some fish taco's that are pretty damn good! And 2 of them only come in at 350 calories! I have also found that having one meal a week to reward myself for a good week of working out and eating right, takes care of my cravings. Good luck feel free to add me
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    MysteriousMer: Tacos going your way, double tortilla dipped in lard!.

Which reminds me, to me, Mexican means Mole, Pozole, Menudo, Barbacoa, Enchiladas, etc, tacos are a snack and burritos are mostly unknown in Mexico, I'm not talking about a DelTaco or Taco Bell menu lol.

Well well Mr Hoity-Toity :laugh: Just send me the tacos and cerveza and no one gets hurt, capisce? :drinker:
  • OCTAVlO
    Options
    No comprende lol, don't get me started with Beer! I refuse to drink anything light, might as well drink water! Funny though, I cannot eat while drinking beer, I don't want the food to spoil the taste of the beer yet I don't have issues with wine, loco! lol