How do end a plateau?

Options
I started out strong and lost forty pounds in about seven months. (I focused on calorie defect and worked out 3-5 days each week.) I lost some momentum because I got a part-time job in addition to my full-time job. Then I lost a little more momentum when I started taking online classes as well. I didn't gain any weight back during this time, I just stopped loosing.

When I went home for the holidays, I gained ten pounds from my family's delicious, but super unhealthy cooking. My first week back to my normal schedule, I lost three of those ten. The scale has not moved since.

I am almost always under my calories for the day. I understand that a lot of people underestimate their intake, so I started measuring everything.

I wear my Fitbit each day because I think that MFP tends to overestimate output.

I exercise almost every day. I switch it up between circuit training, jogging, yoga, Zumba, 30DS (I can't do it 30 consecutive days because the idea of doing anything for 30 days straight makes my little ADHD brain want to explode), and strength training. Even on my rest days, I'm still walking about five miles each day.

Since I'm not seeing results, I'm obviously not doing enough. What is your suggestion? Is it as simple as just lowering my calorie goal or is there something else I should be doing. Any polite advice is welcome.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am almost always under my calories for the day.

Be under your calories every day.

Other than that, get a food scale if you don't have one and make sure that you've recalculated your numbers since you've lost.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you are going through a plateau. I understand how frustrating it can be. Over the course of my weight loss journey, I have endured quite a few of them, the most recent one was until yesterday.

Make sure you are doing all the right things (eating at a deficit and making sure to weigh your food, moving, getting plenty of water and sleep). If you are doing all the right things, then you just need to be patient (I know, it is hard), but usually, a couple of weeks of patience is enough to start seeing losses again.

You can also try switching up your exercise routine, eating at maintenance for a few days, and getting more sleep than you have been getting.

Best of luck. I hope your plateau ends soon.