• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Werewolf diet?

HA! ...tears...
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi! Like another person said above, many factors contribute to hair loss, including thyroid issues, hormone imbalances (e.g., androgen excess), and nutritional deficits. These are relatively easy things to rule out, so it's definitely worth a trip to your doc!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I applaud the choice of prenatal vitamin. Does it have 100% of your vitamin D, iron, calcium, magnesium, and vitamin K? I believe those were the ones ended up deficient in. Also, if they can be cut in half, you might want to take it more than once a day.

Definitely get your bloodwork done. After losing 100#, my doctor was so happy... no, THRILLED with me. My blood pressure was down, my triglycerides and cholesterol was going down... then she looked at my anemia. Then she looked at my bone density test. Then she looked at my heart murmur.

Above all else, if your knees can handle it, please do weight-bearing, mild impact exercises to keep your bone mass up. Roller skating is a nice one that isn't too jarring on the knees.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    My average tends to be around 1100.

....and this would be the reason for the hair loss.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are saying my deficit is too large. That is a loss of 2 lbs a week, which is pretty standard. I eat anywhere from 1600 - 1800 calories a day. I have 260 pounds total to lose (well, 190 lbs now that I have lost 70 of it). It doesn't make sense to cut back to only 1 lb a week.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Werewolf diet?

I'm bad, that was my first thought too. :tongue:
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had that happen when my doctor recommended a 1200 calorie diet, but I didn't know about balancing macros. Thankfully I didn't stay on it very long, because I just couldn't eat that little. When I started eating normally again it stopped. Haven't had it happen since I've been at a reasonable deficit for my height/weight.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people are saying my deficit is too large. That is a loss of 2 lbs a week, which is pretty standard. I eat anywhere from 1600 - 1800 calories a day. I have 260 pounds total to lose (well, 190 lbs now that I have lost 70 of it). It doesn't make sense to cut back to only 1 lb a week.

OP, I think what people are trying to say is that your body is telling you to eat more. Even though a 2 lbs a week loss is ok with as much as you have to lose, your body seems to not be ok with that.

I would definitely up your protein to around 25% though, I think your 15% is way to low and probably part of the problem here.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

They are saying it because a lot of times, it's true. Aside from a trip to the doctor's, maybe try upping your protein to around 30% and see if that helps any. When I was 245lbs, I was trying to eat at a large deficit and one of the side effects from the large deficit was hair loss.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lack of protien and throid problems are common for causeing hair loss
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options

It makes sense if you want to still have some hair left when you reach your goal.
  • Snake_Pliskin
    Options
    I'm curious (and worried!), what were you doing that resulted in those issues? I'm technically eating "low calorie" (~1200 per day), is that low enough to cause concern?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My hair has ALWAYS been bad for shedding....I'm surprised I'm not bald yet.

Haven't noticed much of a difference since I've lost weight though.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'll make an appointment with my doctor before changing anything. I also have all the symptoms of Hashimoto's, so maybe a thyroid issue is the problem.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm curious (and worried!), what were you doing that resulted in those issues? I'm technically eating "low calorie" (~1200 per day), is that low enough to cause concern?

If you are concerned - eat more. I was eating low calorie foods at one point but when I increased my intake to 1500-1800, less than a month my hair grew back. The thickness has decreased but I assume that will get back to normal over time. OP it may be not enough calories or a medical issue.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Most of the time, if a person's diet is responsible for hair loss, it is protein that is lacking.

I've had a doctor tell me once that unless a person is very short, they should be getting 100 grams of protein per day, minimum. If they do weight training, or have wounds that need to heal, or other special considerations they will need more than 100 grams per day. I don't know if he was right or not, because some doctors don't really know much about nutrition, however, for me that guideline seems to work.

100 grams is my bottom of the barrel minimum in terms of protein, I usually get between 125-180 though.

Other signs of protein deficiency, besides shedding hair... are constant cravings, never feeling satisfied; muscle or joint pain; sleep difficulties; weak and brittle nails; and low energy with moodiness.

The problem is that most of those things can be caused by other things.. but if your hair is shedding its worth it to increase your protein intake.