Do I sleep too much?

During the work week, I can go to bed as early as 6:30. I wake up a few times during the night but fall right back to sleep. I get up at 4:30 to get my 30 minute workout in before work. So I get approximately 8-9 hours sleep but I feel I am wasting my life away by going to bed almost immediately after work.

What's your schedule like?

Replies

• bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Oh gosh me too.. Sometimes I am just exhausted.Up at 4:30, 45 to 60 min drive each way to work. Ugh. And I usually work straight thru my shift, no breaks or lunch. Hospital work its long and hard. So, I just crash when I get home.....:frown:
  • As a teacher, it seems I have to get up half an hour before I go to bed.

On a serious note, I think as long as you follow a regular schedule, the amount of sleep is a secondary concern.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    I don't sleep ENOUGH lol
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Oh gosh me too.. Sometimes I am just exhausted.Up at 4:30, 45 to 60 min drive each way to work. Ugh. And I usually work straight thru my shift, no breaks or lunch. Hospital work its long and hard. So, I just crash when I get home.....:frown:

I work in the medical field as well but I sit on my *kitten* all day!! My work is mentally exhausting, not physically. But just a few years ago (2010), I worked two jobs!! I was going on dates after work, going line dancing, how did I do it????
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    as long as it's not negatively affecting you, why would it be too much? or too little, for those of us on the opposite spectrum.

we humans, we're adaptive.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I wouldn't say 8-9 hours is excessive. I tend to get between 7 and 8 hours on average but sometimes sleep 9 or 10 hours. The recommended amount of sleep for adults is 7-8 hours.

However, I have to wonder, since this happens now and then on this site, if you're not getting enough calories and/or nutrients and that's why you're feeling so tired. Make sure your calorie goal is appropriate (1 to 1.5 pounds per week for the amount of weight you're trying to lose, per the ticker on your profile) and try to meet that daily calorie goal (not come in under, the deficit is already built in). Also make sure you're eating at least half of your exercise calories back. And get a good balance of carbs, protein and fat per the numbers set on your diary whether they're custom set percentages or MFP's recommendations.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    Everyone is different. 8.5 hours is ideal for me. 9 hours is awesome but not necessary. More than that, I feel sluggish all day. Less than 7 hours, you don't want to be around me.

Unless sleep is interfering with your ability to get things done, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Everyone is different. 8.5 hours is ideal for me. 9 hours is awesome but not necessary. More than that, I feel sluggish all day. Less than 7 hours, you don't want to be around me.

Unless sleep is interfering with your ability to get things done, I wouldn't worry about it.

Aaahhhh the good old days! It is funny how this changes once you have a kid. Now it's like, just let me get 3 straight hours!
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220

Aaahhhh the good old days! It is funny how this changes once you have a kid. Now it's like, just let me get 3 straight hours!

I feel for you!

Thank you everyone for your responses, I don't feel so bad anymore :smile:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Nahhh I have no problem sleeping for 1/3 of my life, I think it's time well spent :smile: