Too few calories?

Options
5'10 - 180 pounds - Male
TDEE- 2950
BMR- 1920

I'm going to the gym twice a day (weekdays) and trying to lose another 7-8 pounds of fat, then gain it back in muscle once I complete that goal. I'm doing 45 minutes of cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and then about 40 minutes of strength training. I'm currently eating around 2300 calories a day to try and lose weight.

Is 2300 not enough calories to fuel my workouts? I sometimes feel I'm lacking a little bit of energy/not getting enough protein for muscle growth. What do you think?

Replies

• Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    What I would suggest, which is what is working for me (of course we are all different) - figure out your TDEE at a stationary pace, then eat back your exercise calories... or drinking in protein shakes... anyway, you would possibly be safer doing that...

That is my method of choice...
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bgar1585,

Open your dietary and exercise diary, please, so we can take a closer look.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You can either up your calories or cut back on the workouts, twice a day is overdoing it in my opinion. Unless you're training for some big event you don't need to train twice a day, after all a calorie deficit is all that's required to lose weight.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What I would suggest, which is what is working for me (of course we are all different) - figure out your TDEE at a stationary pace, then eat back your exercise calories... or drinking in protein shakes... anyway, you would possibly be safer doing that...

That is my method of choice...

+1

Unless your workouts mainly consist of weightlifting. Then I would follow the TDEE method including workouts, and not eating exercise calories.
  • LH85DC
    LH85DC Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    How much are you trying to lose? A 650 calorie deficit seems a bit extreme for a 5'10" male at a 180 lb starting point. I'd try a 15% deficit for a while and see if that helps with how you feel energy wise. Finding the right balance between protein and carbs should also help with energy levels.

ETA: Of course this assumes that your TDEE estimates are accurate. If you're exercising less or more than you put into the TDEE calculator, then you'll need to recalculate your numbers.
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It could be about right. How old are you? The only way to really find out is over time. how much have you lost over the last 2 weeks? The first time I was losing weight, I was eating 2200ish with an intense weight lifting workout. I tried adding a LISS cardio session to it, but I totally screwed up my diet with it. If I didn't matter if I ate back my calories or not, I stopped losing weight and was starving... So I went back to the 1 work out a day.

I do the opposite of Always_Smilin with TDEE/BMR numbers. I figure my work out is always done, so it is in my normal routine of activity. But it is only a technique difference, not better or worse.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    It could be about right. How old are you? The only way to really find out is over time. how much have you lost over the last 2 weeks? The first time I was losing weight, I was eating 2200ish with an intense weight lifting workout. I tried adding a LISS cardio session to it, but I totally screwed up my diet with it. If I didn't matter if I ate back my calories or not, I stopped losing weight and was starving... So I went back to the 1 work out a day.

I do the opposite of Always_Smilin with TDEE/BMR numbers. I figure my work out is always done, so it is in my normal routine of activity. But it is only a technique difference, not better or worse.

I'm 23. I've lost about 2-3 pounds in the passed 2 weeks. About 7 since I started dieting and doing cardio (after the holidays)
  • tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    7 LBS since early Jan is a good glide path. keep it up.