thoughts on intermittent fasting

Options
Hello everyone,
I was just wondering what everyone thought about intermittent fasting? I have been doing it for about 5 weeks now and I love it. you choose a period of time where you can eat normally 8 hours the rest of the day you fast. I know everyone says eat small regular meals but that is to much temptation for me. I don't eat breakfast but I make sure to get my 1200-1500 calories in everyday. Since fasting and drinking water my face is clearer, brighter and not broke out. I find that I am not as hungry because I am drinking so much water. I have alot of energy. I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this and there thoughts on it!!! Thanks and have a great Monday :)

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I practice IF and it works great for me.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I like that it blew up a lot of the (bad science behind) ideas of nutritent timing and meal timing, but dislike that it kind of said "so do this instead".
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 16:8 since the end of last year. It works great for me, much to my surprise. MUCH easier to stay under my calorie goal this way.
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    I know it helps that I only have a certain amount of time to be with food. hahaha some days are harder than others but it has been amazing I feel great!!!
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    at the begininng I was scared that I would not like it but after alot of research and testimonies I realized the reason you don't hear alot about this type of life style is there is nothing people can sell you. No bars shakes etc. so of course it is not widely known :)
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I practice 21/3 or 22/2 fasting daily and it works best for me. I don't have to worry about stopping to eat during the day and can enjoy very large meals at night, which is how I prefer it.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    at the begininng I was scared that I would not like it but after alot of research and testimonies I realized the reason you don't hear alot about this type of life style is there is nothing people can sell you. No bars shakes etc. so of course it is not widely known :)

LOL! Very true.

I fast once a year for religious reasons. The amount of time varies since there is something I am doing during that fast, and how long it takes determines how long I go without eating meals. The longest was 35 days. I drank only clear liquids and when the sun set I would eat 4 saltine crackers every other day. That was only because I was so hungry! There's no rhyme or reason as to why I chose saltines, but looking back, I probably needed that little bit of sodium. When I finished my studies, my skin was amazing. It was smooth, even, tight. I had my hair back in a bun every day, so I never used a mirror. I didn't even recognize myself. It helped that I lost 30 pounds that month, but I didn't do it for weight loss. Like I said, this an annual fast for faith-based reasons.

Small intermittent fasting can be mentally refreshing. It is entirely possible to take your mind off of it when you focus on something else, forcing your body to utilize stored fat which releases toxins and further cleanses the body. I totally support it.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    This group may interest you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

MFP has many members who practice IF in its many forms
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    There were only 2 major reasons why I liked IF at the time (I did it for over 6 months)

1) My teeth got a lot whiter
    2) It worked with my schedule --> aka busy all day then eat a bigass meal out with friends.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat breakfast because I'm busy and not hungry in the mornings. I usually eat between 11am and 7pm.
    I don't plan it that way, just how my body prefers it. Didn't know there was a term for it or that people did it on purpose
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    This group may interest you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/66-intermittent-fasting

MFP has many members who practice IF in its many forms
    thanks I will check it out :)
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    I usually don't eat breakfast because I'm busy and not hungry in the mornings. I usually eat between 11am and 7pm.
    I don't plan it that way, just how my body prefers it. Didn't know there was a term for it or that people did it on purpose
    It was the same for me. My little sister told me about it and I have not looked back :)
  • baptistforlife
    Options

LOL! Very true.

I fast once a year for religious reasons. The amount of time varies since there is something I am doing during that fast, and how long it takes determines how long I go without eating meals. The longest was 35 days. I drank only clear liquids and when the sun set I would eat 4 saltine crackers every other day. That was only because I was so hungry! There's no rhyme or reason as to why I chose saltines, but looking back, I probably needed that little bit of sodium. When I finished my studies, my skin was amazing. It was smooth, even, tight. I had my hair back in a bun every day, so I never used a mirror. I didn't even recognize myself. It helped that I lost 30 pounds that month, but I didn't do it for weight loss. Like I said, this an annual fast for faith-based reasons.

Small intermittent fasting can be mentally refreshing. It is entirely possible to take your mind off of it when you focus on something else, forcing your body to utilize stored fat which releases toxins and further cleanses the body. I totally support it.
    I agree a hundred percent!!!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would like to start IF soon but I was wondering if during my fast I am aloud to have at least 30 calories in my morning coffee without wrecking the fast? I drink/ need 1/2 cup of coffee in the morning, I only use sugar or splenda and milk.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I would like to start IF soon but I was wondering if during my fast I am aloud to have at least 30 calories in my morning coffee without wrecking the fast? I drink/ need 1/2 cup of coffee in the morning, I only use sugar or splenda and milk.

There are different kinds of IF. Some people choose to go 24 hrs once a week (for instance, eat Saturday night and not again until Sunday night). Others do daily fasting of 16 hours a day (skipping breakfast and only eating lunch and dinner). Others just do it once a month. JUDDD is a program where your "fast" is a day that doesn't exceed 500 calories, every other day. The days in between you don't track and eat what you want. It can be a yo-yo at first, but you adapt after a few weeks. So absolutely you can have some sugar and milk in your morning coffee if you choose to practice IF.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Been doing IF for about 2 years now. On a 16:8 window. Did alternate day fasting before that but it really didn't fit my schedule well.

16:8 is kinda close to what I naturally always did before, excepg that part of my life I was forcing myself to eat first thing in the morning and every 2-3 hrs. Ha what a pain that way lol
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    when im cutting like i am now, i eat after i get home from working all day and i train fasted. usually eat from 8pm till 11pm give or take an hour either way
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    what i read is that under 50 calories is ok...but I'd do some more research before starting.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I naturally never eat breakfast (unless I am seriously hungry) but I seem to automatically do a 15:9 ratio. is this considered IF or does the fasting range have to be longer and eating be shorter? I realized that if I don't eat breakfast and eat a late lunch I naturally eat less food that normal. Also being in college I sometimes don't get time to eat or forget too so the ratio is approximate.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Been doing IF for about 2 years now. On a 16:8 window. Did alternate day fasting before that but it really didn't fit my schedule well.

16:8 is kinda close to what I naturally always did before, excepg that part of my life I was forcing myself to eat first thing in the morning and every 2-3 hrs. Ha what a pain that way lol

Pretty much exactly this...eating in the morning made me nauseous and I used to carry around protein in a container. IF means freedom from that kind of thinking.