What technically counts as calories for "today"?

Options
Now we all know our recommended calorie amounts. And eating beyond this amount will count as excess. But how do we know what exactly counts as calories for "today"?

As far as time goes, as soon as the clock strikes midnight, it's considered to be the next day. But I don't think our bodies suddenly go "oh, hey it's the next day. Time to clean the slate and allow for another X calories to be consumed without packing on the pounds".

So if I eat past midnight, would that count towards my calories for "yesterday", even though it's technically "today?". Is this the reason why people think they gain more weight if they eat past midnight? Why does going to sleep suddenly erase the slate for a new day of calorie consumption?

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Well, I log for whichever day it is. If I eat after midnight, I'm eating for that particular day so I put it down as part of my breakfast.

However, it's up to you how you log it because it's really the end week calorie that counts.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you log it. Technically, you could log all of your calories for the week as Monday calories as long as you were in a deficit for the week and not undereating because of it. What matters is the calorie deficit over time.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I just log for the day that it is. If I have a snack at 1 AM it counts as that day's calories.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    This is something you have to decide for yourself. Your body works over a more extended period.