P90/Insanity ... sorry y'all

Options
I know people ask this all the time but I can't seem to find the threads. I've really gotten into setting monthly/periodic challenges for myself, and I'm looking at starting either P90X or Insanity for my October challenge. What is the difference between the two, and what are your collective opinions/thoughts on either/or?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your insight :flowerforyou:

Replies

• GingerDarlene
    Options
    I have only done Insanity once; my trainer had us do it once in boot camp; lets just say I left with all my make-up on my shirt!!!!!
  • irchrismm
    irchrismm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am doing P90X, and am in week 6. I don't think insanity uses weights or pull up bars. I know P90X is both a diet and fitness program designed to kick your butt. I have heard that insanity lives up to it's name-sake. So I think it is a matter of what goals you have set for yourself. P90X not only makes you stronger, and leaner, but it also has a lot of things that make you more flexible. I know of several people who have added insanity to their P90X workouts after a while. Well that's my 2 cents anyways/
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    p90x= cardio + strength training, it can be fairly intense starting out but there is a good bit of modifyable moves in P90x. You'll neeed a pullup bar(or bands with door attachment, since it has pullups), some sort of weights if you don't have them already. But all in all its a awesome program for losing weight while really toning up the body. So great for losing weight and getting or getting closer to abs

insanity= Intense *kitten* cardio, that will shred bodyfat, if you can keep up with the program. If you don't have the will to keep going with this one, its very easy to get discouraged when you're not keeping up with the DVD. But if you want the best home cardio workout that will burn a metric ton of calories lol, Insanity is definately what you want. great for shredding weight, getting abs in a shorter amount of time. also just alott more intense overall.

Either are good programs and both will be challenging to most people. Right now I use p90x's lifting portions and use Insanity Cardio as my main base program along with Turbofire (on double cardio days)
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Only done Insanity but I LOVE IT!!! Just finished my first round. My main pic is the before and after. I still have much more photos to post up! lol

You don' t need extra equipment either.

Shaun T is a great fitness instructor and just motivates you!

My sister just got P90X but I'm not sure if she is doing it or just her husband.
  • Cina04
    Options
    *sorry double post
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have the P90X DVDs, got them as a gift from a friend. I tried most of them...But don't have an hour a day to work out with my schedule. Did really love the yoga DVD, but it's 1.5 hours long. The P90X DVDs also require extra equipment...I think a pull up bar and I don't think the insanity needs anything but you and your sweat. I could be wrong on that though.

Hope this helps, Clew!
  • nijeka
    Options
    And, my question about Insanity is.....I am so, so, so out of shape. How hard is it starting the program? I am afraid that I won't be able to do it and will end up discouraged and give up if I can't keep up with it. That has happened so many times in the past. I know anything is going to be tough in the beginning, but......is it "do-able"????
  • Cina04
    Options
    oh and Insanity also has strength training - you are just using your body weight for the resistance =)
  • Cina04
    Options
    And, my question about Insanity is.....I am so, so, so out of shape. How hard is it starting the program? I am afraid that I won't be able to do it and will end up discouraged and give up if I can't keep up with it. That has happened so many times in the past. I know anything is going to be tough in the beginning, but......is it "do-able"????

I was so out of shape but jump right in....there is no way to prepare for Insanity...people in the video take their own breaks! which I like to see because it doesn't make me feel bad. Instead I know I'm pushing my body as hard as I can.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have did p90x, I am on my second round.....I think from what I have heard insanity is suposed to be a bit more intense...alot of people start with p90x then after a few round go to insanity and then mix the programs together.....So depending on where your fitness lever is....I started with power 90 then did p90x lean and now am doing p90x classic...next either p90x doubles or i nsanity....admittedly gettting a little tired of looking at tony.
  • AmenoKaji
    AmenoKaji Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Very tough. I remember the first time I tried insanity (promo DVD because I am a coach) I got killed within the first 15minutes and that was the warmup. If you get discouarged easily, Insanity is not for you. Although If I remember right there was some guy that started it at 350 and lost alot of weight for it but Insanity is more mental/will power then physical, if you can follow the diet and just try to do the workouts and don't give up you'll get some results. If you're really out of shaping and looking for something begineer level, try power 90, its older but it works. :) i know it does. If you want to attempt something more challenging and newer, get p90x but be prepared to modify it. Its alright if you can' t keep up, you just have to do your best and push yourself out of your comfort zone.

Edit: there is also Turbofire, which is pretty fun, it can bring an intense burn and you can go at your own pace.
  • Amara15
    Amara15 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I did insanity once and loved it. I had borrowed it from a friend but as soon as i have the extra spending cash to buy for myself I'm hoping to do it again.

Nijeka- I was really outta shape when I started and I'm not gonna lie, I couldnt do it at first. I just would do what I could and take breaks when I needed. It helped that I did it with another girl that was in my same spot so we just took turns picking challenges to go a little further each day, like "this day we are gonna make it this far without taking a break, and tomorrow 3 minutes further than that" etc. after about a week and a half/two weeks I could pretty much do it. So go for it! You can do it!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    THANKS so much for your input, everyone! You've all been a great help! I've been working out pretty hard for several months so I'm hoping that will help keep me from getting too overwhelmed. The equipment part is good to know - I wasn't aware of that. We have weights but not a bar. The hubby and I were going to do this together - I'll discuss all this info with him. Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • yrluck
    Options
    I haven't done either but have lots of friends that have done both... and I get the same response from everyone - Insanity is HARDER!

Ray and I started Power 90 yesterday... which is supposed to be a bit easier than P90X. We have a Beachbody "Coach" and after personally consulting with him over the phone and doing TONS of research, we decided Power 90 was best for us to start.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    pull up bars are not expensive...I bought mine at walmart for $20....It doesn't require any hole be put in your wall...it goes up in the doorway...and it hold like 250 #.
  • nijeka
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input....love this site - everyone has such great advice/experience!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Power 90 is a good precursor to P90X if you are really out of shape. P90X is mostly weight training, however the plyometrics in the program is a beast. The plyo is a good precursor to the Insanity program. I've done both programs completely and now I'm currently doing a P90X/Insanity hybrid for 90 days.
  • katlou2
    katlou2 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks Clew for asking! I'm leaning more toward insanity...
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I got lots of good information!
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I only just got Insanity and watched a few minutes of it to see what it's like. My goodness :noway: , I felt tired just watching them do the circuits. REALLY intense! I think my blood pressure would sky rocket if I do these. HIIT training turned on its head I think! Can't wait to get started!