why so few calories burned for yoga?

Options
I worked my butt off in a yoga class this morning! So I was shocked when I logged the 65 minutes and only got 165 calories? Really? The yoga was not exactly aerobic, but by the end of class I was literally shaking with fatigue. Does yoga only burn 165 calories an hour? Sure feels like I expended a lot more energy than that! I want to continue yoga, but wish there was a bigger calorie burn for the buck. Is the 165 calories an hour accurate?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. Weight lifting doesn't burn very much either. Don't do it to burn calories, do it because you enjoy it and it's healthy for you.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. Weight lifting doesn't burn very much either. Don't do it to burn calories, do it because you enjoy it and it's healthy for you.
    ^^^This.

Overestimating your calorie burns will not get you closer to your goal.
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For something like vinyasa yoga, that sounds about right. For something like hatha yoga, I would actually say MFP's estimate is way too generous. Bottom line though - do yoga for the enjoyment of it and the incredible effect it has on your flexibility, balance and overall fitness.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    Yoga utilises muscles that we don't use every day. The shaking will probably stop the longer you do yoga and the more familiar your body gets with the various positions. I agree with BusyRae and editorgrrl - yoga won't burn you the most calories but in my experience, the knock-on effect will definitely help you with your calorie intake. It can really help get your mind and body balanced - and that has a lasting effect on weight loss and healthy eating. Any calories you can subtract through a session are just a bonus.
  • chipingirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! I will keep up with the Yoga regardless of the few calories burned. I just thought I'd had my workout for the day - guess not! I will look forward to being more toned, centered, and at peace through Yoga, and go for the calorie burn elsewhere.