"Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork"

Options
I saw this subject quote on another member's tagline right after the nurse called and told me my LDL was up another 30 points to 197. I'm 3 weeks into MFP and changing my eating habits. I sure hope I'm doing enough to lower my cholesterol naturally. I've heard horrible things about Crestor and/or Simvastatin, which the doctor has now prescribed for me.

Someone once told me to eat blueberries, walnuts, and one glass of red wine every day. Has anyone been able to significantly lower their cholesterol levels without the use of prescribed medicines?

Replies

• Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I know that my grand parents, and a few other people I know eat a couple of dried peas every day to keep a handle on their cholesterol, I know sounds different, but might be worth looking into if something so simple can help...

"Dried peas, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only can dried peas help lower cholesterol, they are also of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal."
  • bonnienm
    bonnienm Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I lowered mine by cutting out most of the butter I used to use and using Move Over Butter or I Can't Believe It's Not Butter light, cutting out most of the red meat I used to eat and replacing it with chicken (though I read that the cholesterol amount is about the same in both but the fat content isn't), eating a ton more fruits and veggies, exercising 30-60 min 5-7 days a week (mostly walking 3-4+ mph) and losing a significant amount of weight. This isn't a guarantee that your cholesterol will go down to within normal limits but it helps. Right now I'm back to normal but with my family history there is no guarantee that it will stay there even with diet. Good luck.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    You could try fish oil with Omega 3 and not Omega 6.....its found to lower cholesterol. Also I've taken simvastatin for years with a positive result and no adverse side effects....so good luck.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    oatmeal is supposed to assist, and you can incorporate your berries into the oatmeal so you get a doulbe effect and it tastes good. i honestly dont know other then that, my issue is triglycerides not cholestrol so all i can say is give it a try and see what happens.
  • tralalara
    Options
    I've had good luck with changing my eating to 40/30/30. Carbs, fat, protein. I don't try to eat no carb but lowering the refined carbs and eating more fruits and veggies has really helped mine. I do eat whole grain bread, pasta, and rice but smaller servings and totally switched out white potatoes for sweet potatoes. I never realized how much more tasty sweet potatoes are than white ones. Oh, I also eat whole grain oatmeal (not instant) at least twice a week. I've also cut out all refined sugar. I very occasionally have something with added sugar. I use stevia or Agave to sweeten. I eat a Zone bar if I crave something sweet which I rarely do. I eat protein with each meal or snack. I truly believe these tips have really helped my health. My cholesterol dropped around 20 pts if I remember right. My total cholesterol was 172 when last checked.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with changing my eating to 40/30/30. Carbs, fat, protein. I don't try to eat no carb but lowering the refined carbs and eating more fruits and veggies has really helped mine. I do eat whole grain bread, pasta, and rice but smaller servings and totally switched out white potatoes for sweet potatoes. I never realized how much more tasty sweet potatoes are than white ones. Oh, I also eat whole grain oatmeal (not instant) at least twice a week. I've also cut out all refined sugar. I very occasionally have something with added sugar. I use stevia or Agave to sweeten. I eat a Zone bar if I crave something sweet which I rarely do. I eat protein with each meal or snack. I truly believe these tips have really helped my health. My cholesterol dropped around 20 pts if I remember right. My total cholesterol was 172 when last checked.
    :drinker: to that.
    That's what I did. In 3 months lowered my cholesterol from 239 to 189. That's total, but in addition my good and bad leveled out and I have no problems with either now.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Mesmereyes, I dropped my Cholesterol, Total from 187 to 103

Also, my HDL , and LDC are now in opt range......Hurray

Sugars are at 90

How did I get them down so fast?

In 7 months, my diet consisted of about 40 percent fruits, 50 percent vegetables, and about 10 percent chicken breasts grilled and pinto beans with cilantro.......mmm, mmm

I decreased all my vital stats about 50 %, and I diid it all thru eating mostly raw fruits and vegetables

I STOPPED EATING ALL PROCESSED FOODS............period

I didnt have the luxury of cutting back on certain things, my blood pressure was in teh 170 s back in late Sept, so time was ciritcal

Dont stress, just eat lots and lots of raw fruits and vegetables....and YES, blueberries are great for reducing blood pressure, and cholesterol

Also, RED APPLE CIDER VINEGAR has incredibel medical benefits.....

.google it, my dr told me to drink it, use it, bathe in it, breath it, you name it, its got awesome health benefits

I used to have symptoms of exercise induced asthma, and it was hell trying to exercise, so I would drink about 1/4 of a cup of hot apple cider vinegar with lemon and then hit Mr Treadmill..............it worked for me awesomely

Apple cider vinegar is known to drop cholesterol rates and blood pressure rates.............I am quoting my polmonologist, when he make sure I knew how benefical was for exercise induced, or any other type of ashtma......

Good luck, I know the importance of eating well in order to get your health back in shape......Ill keep you in my thoughts and prayers......Lloyd