Been told not to lose weight...

Options
lynleeg88
lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
Ok, so outside of this forum, only a few very close friends know I want to get pregnant soon. That is why I knew it was time to get healthy. Two weeks ago my 5'7" body weighed in at 206. I'm big! And I know it needs to change. My idea was that I would start clean eating to prepare the body and let my liver and kidneys detox me. That I would exercise to improve cardio health and overall health. Walking up the stairs even bothered me some. And to try and at least get down to 160 lbs before I try.

So I told them why I was losing weight and they looked at my like I was nuts. Told me heavy women still get pregnant and have healthy babies. And why would i go and lose all that weight when I'll only gain it back while pregnant. So am I being silly?? Cause they are really making me feel down about this. I KNOW I'll gain weight, I'm not stupid.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You're not being silly at all. Certainly many overweight and obese women have healthy pregnancies and babies, but they also increase their risk of not having healthy pregnancies and babies.

Plus, while you will certainly gain some weight while pregnant, if you eat healthy and continue an exercise routine (doctor-approved), there is no reason you have to gain EXCESS weight and therefore you'll get back to your pre-pregnancy weight more quickly.

Or you'll be "lucky" like I was and have such awful morning sickness that you end up losing 20 pounds and not gaining anything until the end. lol I gained everything in my belly (in the right clothing, people didn't realize I was pregnant a week before I delivered!) and lost it within six months and I wasn't even trying.

Of course it's a great idea to be as healthy as possible to give your baby a healthy start.
  • exercise2day2
    exercise2day2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It is true that lots of overweight people have healthy babies, but the more overweight a person is, the riskier the pregnancy has the potential to be. I think you have the right idea. The healthier you are to begin with the easier your pregnancy will be. If you are having trouble with stairs now, imagine what it would be like with and extra 35 pounds (give or take) of pregnancy weight added on.
  • scrocke
    scrocke Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not a Doctor, but I have read a few news articles lately showing study results that children of overweight mothers are more prone to certain illnesses. I think you should speak to your doctor so you get medically sound advice.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    These comments are by friends, not medical professionals? What they're saying seems awfully ridiculous - don't lose weight because you'll only gain it back? Really???? If you feel you need to get healthier to do this then go right ahead. I would consult with a doctor anyway, a medical professional can guide you better than any lay person. What your friends are saying doesn't support their own argument because even if you don't lose weight you will gain some during the pregnancy, so you'll be that much further behind after the pregnancy. I think you probably know your body & how you feel much better than anybody else can, so talk to the doctor & make the decision that's best for you after that..........
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I didn't think it was foolish. I got into this routine knowing 9 months from then I'd be dieting and exercising and have new stretch marks, etc. It just shocked me because none of them are obese, and barely overweight if at all. I figured they would be more supportive.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Ugh, people.

I don't think you're being silly at all. Especially when you say you have trouble with stairs. I think it just makes sense to want to be in better shape and maybe reduce risks of complications or something.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I have not been pregnant, but I would imagine being at a healthy weight would help you have a easier if not healthier pregnancy,, you gain weight when your pregnant.. adding baby weight to your 206 pounds is not going to be easy on your joints, not to mention the energy it will drain out of you.. carrying baby weight at a healthy weight i have seen people exhausted. can you imagine how tired you would be weighing 206 pounds. gaining baby weight on top of that.. and lastly i would figure you would have less chances of having complications related to your weight...

this is just my opinion.. i say get healthy and than get pregnant. than after you have the baby.. you can work on getting back to pre pregnancy weight and you will have more energy to take care of your little one..

just my thoughts, but let others chime in that have been pregnant.
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Of course you will gain weight, but heavier women can suffer with high blood pressure, more severe pregnancy ailments like swelling, heartburn and general discomfort. I was thinner with my first child and very heavy with the last one. I had an easier time at a lower weight. I've also been a doula for eight years and have seen clients who are heavier undergo more complications. That's not to say every heavy woman will have complications and that thinner women won't, but if you can take some time to look after your health and be more physically ready to undergo the very hard work of growing a baby, why wouldn't you? This is about you and your future child and what you think is best for the two of you, not your family, friends or anyone else. The healthier and more fit you are when you get pregnant the better off you will be. And the less you weigh when you get pregnant, the less (potentially) you'll have to lose when you give birth. If you're still uncertain, sit down with your doctor or midwife and get their input, I'm sure they'll agree that a healthier you is the best starting point.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The healthier you are at the start of pregnancy, the better.

Plus, if you lose weight, get pregnant, and then eat healthy during the pregnancy (not use it as an excuse to "eat for two") you won't gain THAT much back. I mean, yes, you'll gain... but a lot of it will be baby, placenta, amniotic fluid, and retained water. You will only regain a small amount of fat if you eat healthy while pregnant.

So baby will be better off, and you'll be better off if you lose some weight first. The pregnancy will be easier on your body if you aren't carrying extra weight at the start, your feet, knees, hips, will all be better off.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea. Obesity in pregnancy increases the risk of suffering pregnancy complications such as high blood pressure and gestational diabetes, to name a couple. It can also reduce fertility, so some overweight women will have difficulty conceiving. Also these women will usually have a much more uncomfortable pregnancy, pelvic and hip pain. swollen feet and ankles, reflux, etc. Labour and birth can also be more difficult. All the best in your efforts. :smile:
  • Rainyday816
    Rainyday816 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor and I have never had any children, so I'm definitely no expert, but I have honestly never heard of a better reason to get healthy or a more mature attitude when it comes to having a baby. If you have doubts, I think you should see your doctor. I'm sure they'd be supportive and maybe they could give you some suggestions about particular nutrients you should make sure to get and around how much you should lose.

Plus, you could get in some good habits to keep from gaining too much baby weight (I know, it's normal, but it doesn't sound fun) and then lose what you inevitably gain. You have such a good attitude, I can already tell you're going to be a good mom - Good luck!
  • sbelina
    Options
    I just did a paper in school about symphysis pubis dysfunction in pregnancy. I've had it twice, and let me just say it's no fun! Basically, it occurs more in women that are heavier. Your pelvis becomes very unstable and it's quite painful. Get the weight off while you can. As long as you're eating healthy foods and losing weight that way you'll be fine! Whatever you start now in pre-pregnancy you'll be able to continue during. I know a few ladies that have done cross-fit until the day they gave birth. (I'm not that motivated...) I think you're a smart mama-to-be!
  • MrsCMHopper
    MrsCMHopper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're not silly! It's absolutely true that the babies of overweight & obese mothers are at a substantially higher of many conditions and complications. By losing weight, you'd be not only making yourself feel better but you'd be doing helping future babies have higher chances of being healthy! Here's an article with more details:

http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/overweight-and-obesity-during-pregnancy.aspx
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You are doing the best thing for yourself and your baby. You have the right idea.
  • span74
    span74 Posts: 32
    Options
    Definitely much easier to conceive if you are at a healthy weight. Even losing 5kgs can improve your chances of conceiving naturally. Having been through IVF can tell you that they encourage prospective parents to lose weight if they are overweight - both male and female.
    Good luck with your weight loss and your journey to being a parent.
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    you absolutely have the right idea...coming from a person who was obese with all 3 of my children...girl it is HARD!!!! I wished that I was smaller when I started because at the end I could barely walk...and it's more likely you will have to have a C-section as well, and let me tell you those are no fun at all!! And if you get used to eating healthy, you will continue after the baby and lose that baby weight really fast! Way to go you!! :)
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all. It is smart to lose weight before you gain it especially if you are currently overweight (or obese). Studies have shown that women that lose as little as 5% of their body weight reduce their chances of having problems during pregnancy!

And really, if you already need to lose weight why would anyone want to gain another 30-50 pounds and put all that stress on their joints!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Not stupid at all. Of course you will gain weight, but if you start healthy habits now, you will probably gain less weight during pregnancy and it will easier for you to lose after having the baby.
  • momwhosbusy
    momwhosbusy Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Not dumb at all. I would also like to add that the more physically fit you are pre-pregnancy the easier labor can be. (this is not always the case, however, I found this to be true. I was fittest with my 2nd pregnancy and that was the easiest labor of them all...momma of 4 here)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Who is " They " ?