Cluesless how to do it..

Options
I have a knee injury so i cant run. Its been to cold and snowy to walk. And i have NO clue what is a good way to work out in the house that will actually burn calories. I work a job that is shifts anywhere between 7am - 8pm so its just a matter of getting time to work out and how to do it. Anyone have any tips? I know how to eat healthy. i just don't know how to exercise when i cant go walk. I have 22 weeks to lose 44lbs. I need to start exercising now, i cant wait for it to warm up and i can start walking again. I do 40 crunches a day but what else can i do? what would be a good workout routine?

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Leslie Sansone workouts. You might enjoy some workout DVDs. There are also some good ones online. I think you could try YouTube and see what you come up with. But Leslie Sansone has DVD workouts that mimic walking. Many of them are very low impact and not bad on the knees.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have a knee injury so i cant run. Its been to cold and snowy to walk. And i have NO clue what is a good way to work out in the house that will actually burn calories. I work a job that is shifts anywhere between 7am - 8pm so its just a matter of getting time to work out and how to do it. Anyone have any tips? I know how to eat healthy. i just don't know how to exercise when i cant go walk. I have 22 weeks to lose 44lbs. I need to start exercising now, i cant wait for it to warm up and i can start walking again. I do 40 crunches a day but what else can i do? what would be a good workout routine?

eating "healthy" isn't going to help you lose weight unless you are eating fewer calories than you burn. Are you weighing and logging all of your food? your caloric intake is a MUCH bigger factor in weight loss than exercise. exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, just eat at a deficit. exercise is healthy of course, and can help you earn more calories and hold on to your muscle as you lose weight, along with lots of other health benefits.

You are going to want both cardio and strength. I use the You Are Your Own Gym app for strength. for cardio i use a treadmill when it's too cold to be outside, but there's TONS of exercise videos on YouTube. If you want to try yoga, doyogawithme.com is free and fantastic.

lastly, 44lbs in 22 weeks is a very aggressive goal. Depending on your starting weight, you might expect to lose 2lbs a week for the first few weeks/months, but as you get closer to a healthy weight, it's harder to lose and 1lb a week or less becomes the norm. This is not a race. If you want to reach and maintain a healthy weight, you have to change your lifestyle forever. It's not about rushing to the goal.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    You can lose weight from eating at a calorie deficit.

However, here's a link to an upper body workout that you can do three times a week to help maintain/build muscle and burn some extra calories:
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/20-Minute-Home-Upper-Body-Workout-Routine/8b/
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    A more realistic goal is 1 lb. per week. You lose weight by eating at a deficit, so while you're healing work on your logging. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. Log your exercise (swimming is low-impact), and eat back your exercise calories. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    stationary bike would be beneficial very little impact and usually not very expensive
  • MatthewNSW
    Options

eating "healthy" isn't going to help you lose weight unless you are eating fewer calories than you burn. Are you weighing and logging all of your food? your caloric intake is a MUCH bigger factor in weight loss than exercise. exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, just eat at a deficit. exercise is healthy of course, and can help you earn more calories and hold on to your muscle as you lose weight, along with lots of other health benefits.

You are going to want both cardio and strength. I use the You Are Your Own Gym app for strength. for cardio i use a treadmill when it's too cold to be outside, but there's TONS of exercise videos on YouTube. If you want to try yoga, doyogawithme.com is free and fantastic.

lastly, 44lbs in 22 weeks is a very aggressive goal. Depending on your starting weight, you might expect to lose 2lbs a week for the first few weeks/months, but as you get closer to a healthy weight, it's harder to lose and 1lb a week or less becomes the norm. This is not a race. If you want to reach and maintain a healthy weight, you have to change your lifestyle forever. It's not about rushing to the goal.

I was going to suggest yoga. Admittedly it's not the most calorie-consuming exercise though and it sounds like you're looking for a significant calorie burn?
  • momstreet
    Options
    i LOVE the website hasfit.com they have some great home workouts that you don't need equipment. they are free to watch...
  • starchile
    starchile Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com has free workouts as well! And you can specify "no impact", "beginner", etc.

Oh yeah, and +1 for Leslie Sansome's walk away the pounds. Probably your best bet and they are also on YouTube.
  • dwanb83
    Options
    I go on to dailymotion.com and do my Zumba from there. For a while I was at home with my son and found it hard to get out for lack of having a sitter. I would put him down for nap and get moving with my Zumba workouts. I still use it today. Just type in Zumba Cardio Party in the search bar on the dailymotion web page. It's about a 45 minute video and really gets you moving and sweating. There are a bunch of the Zumba videos ranging from about 20 to 60 minutes. Hopes this helps!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I walk at our local rec centre when it's too cold out - 8 laps around the indoor hockey rink is 1 mile
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've been using my Wii for my workouts lately and it's pretty great! Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, EA Sports Active 2, The Biggest Loser Challenge, and ALL of the Just Dance titles keep things fresh!

Leslie Sansone has some really great DVDs as does The Biggest Loser- they're all pretty cheap through eBay, amazon, and WalMart. If you're strapped for cash, youtube and local libraries come in pretty handy!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    time based weight loss goals will lead to utter frustration and stress - which won't help fat loss either.

2 lb per week right up until goal weight. Read around how unrealistic that's going to be as you have less to lose.

Will everyone see you with a scale hanging on your back with current weight on it - and what the goal weight desired was?

Or rather will they be seeing you? And the inches you are, no matter the weight?

Reset your mindset and goal to have success and not hate yourself later when things don't work out so linear.

Diet is for weight loss - done right only fat loss - done wrong includes muscle mass (and sets you up for doing this many times in the future likely).

Exercise is for heart health and body improvements, which many times doesn't include weight loss, and can help or hinder fat-only loss.

You want strength training, with decent easy cardio so you can get the most out of the weight lifting.
    Pullups, dips, pushups, squats with extra weight, ect. Something so you have a hard time and bad burn by the 12th rep, then do 3 sets.
    Several great sites mentioned above for body weight exercises.

That lifting will allow a reasonable deficit to result in just fat loss, retaining muscle mass. Perhaps at start even adding a tad amount.

Then stick to the program and meet your goals, log your exercise and eat those calories back, or at least 80% of them.

Bigger deficit will come back to bite you badly, either in your body adapting to extreme deficit, or your compliance to the eating level will be terrible.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I walk at our local rec centre when it's too cold out - 8 laps around the indoor hockey rink is 1 mile

+ 1 to this suggestion, you can *always* walk, you just have to find a place to do it. I go to the mall if it's raining, or walk around my house in circles. DH pokes fun at me a little bit about it, and my kitten paws at my hair from the cat tree as I go by, but if I haven't met my walking goal, I will do whatever it takes. Get a pedometer and try and work your way up to 10,000 steps. It's good for you (by which I mean, it's been really good for me).

And bodyweight exercises are great if you don't have money for a gym/equipment, at least for a little while.
  • ticred
    ticred Posts: 5
    Options
    I have knee issues as well but find I can dance fine so I put my fav on every morning, ..... Mama Mia movie and dance to all the songs. Then keep other favorite music on when I am doing dishes, laundry, etc, it keeps me moving and keeps me mentally up!