How do you start an exercise habit?

Options
Hi all
I'm hoping you guys can help me, I have tried the "just do it" route, but it hasn't really been useful for me. How do you guys build up from not exercising regularly to making a good habit of it?
I did bootcamp in the summer for 3 months and saw some great results, but it was too expensive for me. After the classes ended I found it hard to stick with it. I'm sad to say my great muscle tone I was starting to see is quickly fading. I find having scheduled classes each week that you cant really miss is the best road to success for me, but I have yet to find a financially viable option.

Any suggestions on how to stay accountable and focused in the way weekly classes might do?

(I'm also finding exercise difficult in the polar vortex temps! I know - worst excuse ever - but I can't help it!)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started is just to keep it simple. If the idea of doing some insane workout in your living room makes you not want to exercise at all, then don't do it. Try 45 minute walks 3 times a week. While it may not seem like a lot, you are moving more than you usually would and that will count for something. Do that for a couple of weeks and gradually build on it.

When I first started losing weight, all I did was walk 3-4 times a week. Now, almost 3 years later, I jog 5 days a week and lift weights 3 times a week. And I love it, look forward to it and don't feel overwhelmed by it. Start small and build.

Best of luck to you!

Edit to fix my own typo!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    The best way to get started is just to keep it simple. If the idea of doing some insane workout in your living room makes you not want to exercise at all, then don't do it. Try 45 minute walks 3 times a week. While it may not seem like a lot, you are moving more than you usually would and that will count for something. Do that for a couple of weeks and gradually build on it.

When I first started losing weight, all I did was walk 3-4 times a week. Now, almost 3 years later, I jog 5 days a week and lift weights 3 times a week. And I love it, look forward to it and don't feel overwhelmed by it. Start small and build.

Best of luck to you!

Edit to fix my own typo!

^^^ This is great advice!^^^.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Start with a small goal, such as "I will do this exercise DVD for 10 minutes." You can do practically anything for 10 minutes, right? And funny thing is, once you pass 10 minutes, you can keep going.

At least that's how it works for me, and that's what I do when I have a hard time starting something. "just 10 minutes, kenaz; you can do anything for 10 minutes".
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Like the last person said, start off small and work your way up.

Also, find something you love, get addicted to it, and never stop. That's what I did with running and I've been doing it for about a year now.
  • valerielite
    valerielite Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi , I find if I try the 30 day challenges from Facebook or online motivates me to continue after the challenge is completed. Right now I am doing a 30 day plank challenge. I tell myself that I only have to do ten minutes of exercises a day. Then when I start, I find that I continue to workout longer? Good luck!
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm hoping you guys can help me, I have tried the "just do it" route, but it hasn't really been useful for me. How do you guys build up from not exercising regularly to making a good habit of it?
    I did bootcamp in the summer for 3 months and saw some great results, but it was too expensive for me. After the classes ended I found it hard to stick with it. I'm sad to say my great muscle tone I was starting to see is quickly fading. I find having scheduled classes each week that you cant really miss is the best road to success for me, but I have yet to find a financially viable option.

Any suggestions on how to stay accountable and focused in the way weekly classes might do?

(I'm also finding exercise difficult in the polar vortex temps! I know - worst excuse ever - but I can't help it!)

Thanks in advance!

Part of it for me was making it my own thing, I set up my own programs, my own schedule with which lifts to do and when, which variations, etc.
    I time when I want to try for new 1 rep maxes, or when I want to set PRs.
    Basically, you have to make it a project, something you can work on and progress in beyond just pounds on the scale.
    Be it running a mile further without getting winded, upping your deadlift, etc. etc.

It's like anything else, it's not a habit for me just because I like to do it, it's a habit because it gives me a sense of accomplishment.
    Think of it as playing a videogame, we wouldn't really play videogames if they didn't reward us for doing things right. You do things right, you get to the next level, you get a shiny weapon, you get to progress.
    Progress is the keyword, and what a lot of those programs won't do is provide you that sense of progress that you need in order to truly enjoy something. Those workouts will help you reach your goals, but the goals are something you have to set yourself.

Try it out, start out light. If you have a gym membership go to the gym and start squatting, deadlifting, just for example. Try making those numbers go up. Once you have tangible results, numbers, distance, so on and so forth, all of a sudden it can become an addiction to try and beat yourself.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Don't do too much at once. Aim for maybe 3 times per week, half an hour each time. Or whatever works for you. Schedule it in and make sure all your stuff (clothes, etc.) is ready to go so you've got no excuse to back out.
    Set goals- I decided to do the c25k program so I ran 3 times per week and it was really satisfying ticking off each session. Sometimes it was hard, but that's the idea. But I saw it through and now I have started c210k and a weight lifting program. My results are measurable, which means I can see my progression and that makes me not want to 'waste' my previous efforts, if that makes sense.
    Also, find something you genuinely enjoy. You don't have to be super gung-ho about it, but don't do something you despise. Anything works! Swimming, golf, dance, yoga, kayaking, boxing, ultimate frisbee- whatever floats your goat, as they say! :drinker:

Best of luck :happy:
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input:) I appreciate it. Thankfully when I move March 1st the apartment I'm moving to has an indoor pool and a decent workout room. So I think that will help a lot, but I don't want to simply wait until then. I've been going to hot yoga once a week, but thats not much. I just can't seem to get a good routine down, I think maybe I'm expecting too much too soon, gotta ease into it like you all suggested. Maybe I'll try 2 work outs per week and then work up from there...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Finding something I like doing. Not everyone loves running or walking. It's good to do those things for your health, but if that's all you do and you're not a runner it just sucks.

Try lifting weights (like, on a program not just doping around), or try a class, or a sport, or something.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Pick something that won't have hurdles in the way of you sticking with it. If classes don't fit easily in your schedule, that's not the right option. Obviously the expense of boot camp made that not work long term.

Maybe start with a program like C25k that's free and you can do it according to your schedule.

Or a strength program like "you are your own gym" that you can do at home until you have gym access.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Finding something I like doing. Not everyone loves running or walking. It's good to do those things for your health, but if that's all you do and you're not a runner it just sucks.

Try lifting weights (like, on a program not just doping around), or try a class, or a sport, or something.

On one hand I agree- long term commitment has to be something you like...

But on the other hand....unfit sedentary people probably don't like anything...yet. That beginner's inertia is hard to overcome, and you probably have to start by forcing yourself to do something you don't like. If you reject everything you don't like, you might end up back on the couch with a party size bag of chex mix and a ton of excuses.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Walking is my route to fitness and weight loss. I too started small - 20min walk 3 times a week. And built upon that little by little.

If you decide walking/running is your cup of tea and if you want some help with accountability , try out the Move Your @ss Challenge Group - a great way to find motivation for getting out and walking/jogging/running/swimming/biking.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17713-move-your-ss-challenge
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Like all things, make a schedule and stick to it. No exceptions, no excuses. You schedule the time into your schedule and commit to it, like a job. If you need to do something else, don't plan it during your work out time. That time is for working out only. If you are tired, do something less intensive. Go for a walk. But do something.

You don't need to go to the gym, there are tons of home options - from DVDs to youtube videos, home gym systems, a few dumbells.... really, no excuses.

ETA: I put a star in my schedule and a description of what I did next to it. That way, as I go through my day planner, I can count the stars and see what I've accomplished. It's easier than going through old logs on mfp. It sounds silly and juvenile, but I look forward to my little stars, they keep me accountable and motivated. I take pride in accumulating them!
  • FrnkLft
    Options

On one hand I agree- long term commitment has to be something you like...

But on the other hand....unfit sedentary people probably don't like anything...yet. That beginner's inertia is hard to overcome, and you probably have to start by forcing yourself to do something you don't like. If you reject everything you don't like, you might end up back on the couch with a party size bag of chex mix and a ton of excuses.

Oh sure, you gotta get up and try things first. Just wanted to make the point that 90% of fit people do what they do because they like it and/or value it, and generally don't feel like they "have" to. I've never forced myself to the gym, not after I found something I liked doing and in the case of weight lifting, got on a program that has me working competently.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

This. I also always failed when I tried to do things I thought were good for me rather than what I liked. Now I lift cause thats what I like. Also something to consider- I started lifting by hiring a trainer. Paid for 8 weeks in advanced (2 sessions a week). Had a habbit by the end. It was worth every penny (check universities for cheap trainers). Liking it is what keeps me going though.
  • FrnkLft
    Options
    Like all things, make a schedule and stick to it. No exceptions, no excuses. You schedule the time into your schedule and commit to it, like a job. If you need to do something else, don't plan it during your work out time. That time is for working out only. If you are tired, do something less intensive. Go for a walk. But do something.

You don't need to go to the gym, there are tons of home options - from DVDs to youtube videos, home gym systems, a few dumbells.... really, no excuses.

Oh this too. Give it the priority it deserves. And be dead serious about making the time.

Also, again I can't stress this enough, educate yourself about exercising and use a program so you have goals and you understand how to get there. Couch to 5 K, a stronglifts 5x5, New rules of lifting for women, whatever. The more you know about what you're doing the more you won't feel like it futile or like you're being dumb.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    There is a "7 minute workout" that you can restart with. No weights needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options

^^^

it has to be something you like..then it doesn't feel like a chore..
  • MoreBean13
    Options

ETA: I put a star in my schedule and a description of what I did next to it. That way, as I go through my day planner, I can count the stars and see what I've accomplished. It's easier than going through old logs on mfp. It sounds silly and juvenile, but I look forward to my little stars, they keep me accountable and motivated. I take pride in accumulating them!

Hold up.

You have a paper day planner?

DYEnewmillenium?:laugh: :drinker:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    How do you start an exercise habit?

You start.

That's all.

No wait, then you continue to do it till it becomes a natural habit. It takes 21 days to form a habit.

I was lucky & my habit formed day 1. But then I can break a habit just as fast.

You start working out, next day you do it again, then the following day. Soon you have no idea why you were not working out.