Weight loss is not the only measure of success

Options
Rayman79
Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
I'll be honest, it feels a bit wrong to be posting in this section. I still have so much I want to achieve and am certainly not happy with the way I look yet, but...

It is important that we remember weight loss (or fat loss as it should be) is not the only way to measure your progress. Little milestones that bring you closer to a fitter, healthier life should be acknowledged. So that's what I'm doing here.

Only three short months ago, a friend of mine convinced me to take up cycling. I hadn't been on a bike for years, and had only ridden a handful of times since being a young teenager (dangerously close to 20 years ago). Nevertheless, I finally agreed as it was a chance to get in some cardio and hang out with some other fit people once a week on our rides.

The first couple of weeks were a bit tough as my body adjusted, but I soon got in the groove and set myself a lofty goal - to ride in the Tour Down Under community ride. All 156kms (97 miles) of it!

Long story short. As of this weekend just passed, I have achieved my first cycling goal. I rode 169kms (105 miles) in one ride. I couldn't help but look back on my 'old self' who stumbled into the gym for the first time as a 20-something year old guy who couldn't even run 1km on a treadmill.

I am not close to my goal yet, but I am fitter and healthier than I have ever been, and I think the former fat kid would be happy with the change ;)

BCYA7772.jpeg

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Also, finding something you love to do that helps you progress towards your body composition goal helps when things do not go as well as you want - you have something else to focus on that is a goal in itself.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Congrats that's some achievement. For anyone reading the Tour down Under has been done with temperatures inthe 40's
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You ae totally correct...the weight loss part is great but being able to do things without feeling like you are dying is a great plus...going to the doctor and hearing that all your numbers look better than they have in years and that you look wonderful is a gratifying experience...so good luck with your cycling!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!