500m sprint - rowing. Time + technique question

Hi

Looking for advice from members(m + f) who has rowing experience(indoor/concept 2)

I am looking to get on the top 3 time board at my crossfit gym for the 500m row.

I'm fairly new to rowing but I got the technique down ok. I use a damper setting of 5-6(I'm a big guy, 6' 240lbs) and I can pull sub 1:45 quite easily for 500m.

I am quite confident I can get close to 1:30 - 1:35 with that damper setting.

I tried using a damper setting of 10 the other day and rowed for only 250m.

I was able to pull 1:19 at my lowest and averaged out at 1:21 /500m pace for 250m.

I felt just regular fatigued(heart thumping, slightly fatigued) but I wasn't dying or nauseous.

My question is this:

Can I keep rowing at damper setting 10, utilizing my weight + strength ? If so, is my current pace of 1:21 sustainable? I pulled as HARD as I could for 250m... I'm not sure if I can for 500m.

I don't want to try 500m before the actual trial because I know I'll be dead after one go.

Replies

• rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Hello,

Ex rower from high school here.

Damper - I can't remember which end of the scale is which, but lets say open is 1 (ie air fully allowed in, higher resistance) and closed is 10 (air intake closed, spools up quicker).

We used the damper to control rating (strokes / minute) for 'control' rows. ie 2km, 5km and 10km fixed-rating rows. It's much, MUCH harder to hold a rating of say 18-20 strokes / minute and keep the splits under 1:50 long distance with the damper open (letting in heaps of air). Your power increases by doing this, and you can spend a lot of time focussing on your technique, which can see speed gains in the short distance.

If you can do 2km in sub 7 minutes especially rating between 22 and 30 spm for 1500 of the distance, you will absolutely nail 500m.

In approach on a 500 - first half = control, second half = beserk.

Start with a limited stroke rate for the first 250 - say, no more than 28spm - but 100% effort.

Then when the 250 hits: UNLEASH HELL. Raise your rating into a complete sprint, and go for it.

ideally you should stop rowing when you fall off the rower sideways gasping for air and dry vomiting. This is what rowers call 'fun'. seriously though, don't get up for a few minutes after your set. you *will* pass out.

edit: oh, forgot to address your actual question.

If you do it on the low resistance setting you'll be able to spin the fan super quick, but it's harder to put down all that power so if your technique is crap you'll end up jerking your body all over the show and wasting energy / bouncing the chain / fatiguing. Rowing is about control.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    If you have really good form that damper isn't gonna matter much. Keep your back straight, drive with the legs and keep it at about 80% for all but the last 100m. Then rip it.

I dunno, I rowed in Florida so we spent all our time in the boats and didn't erg much. I don't pay attention to the damper setting. Well... I don't have it completely open....

So you're just erging 500 m?