v8 for veggies?

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've tried all versions of V8, but as you've read, the salt gets in the way, even in the low sodium version. I've quite an aversion to salt. it looks by the other replies I'm not the only one.

In the 11.5 oz can of low sodium V8, there is 200 mg of sodium and 1180 mg of potassium. Unless you are getting a LOT of sodium in the rest of your diet, the sodium in this drink should not be a problem.
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Invest in a small juicer and make your own, maybe. Or make a vegetable 'soup', mimicking ingredients in V8, blend, add water and cool and drink that? As an above poster said, there's only so much a processed/pasteurised product can do. I don't understand why it's so difficult to 'get' veggies in though, my average meal has around 3 at least.

I agree with the above! I blended a portion of ratatouille which was a tasty 'drink'. (A bowl of ratatouille with a tablespoon of parmesan cheese has been my lunchtime friend this last week and packed the veggies in. I added a bit of chilli powder for a different taste.)
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Regular version is, that's why I said low sodium. I've been having a time with veggies and sodium. Most veggies are in a salad and most dressings have high sodium content as well. Kinda two birds one stone kinda thought.

I started making my own dressing to cut out the sodium and sugar found in bottled dressings. Pretty easy, for one serving: 2 tsp olive oil, 2 tsp red-wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper. Whisk together and pour over salad.

Another option is 2 tsp olive oil, lemon juice (to taste), 1/4 tsp minced garlic, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper.

However, I too like the low-sodium V8 juice to fill in the "gaps" if I'm short on my fruit/veggie vitamins for the day. :)
  • Bellusion
    Options
    I'm going to try that salad dressing with lemon juice recipe for lunch today since my husband took our bottle of salad dressing to work with him, lol.

Topic: I love low sodium V8