Snacks 100 calories or less

Options
I LOVE to Snack! It is something I have fought with even when I was in the best shape of my life.
When I first started MFP I was really discouraged because my snacks were just barely pushing me over.

When studying nutrition I learned grazing is actually beneficial. So I decided: instead of thinking of it as snacking I will think of myself as a grazer! Instead of eating most of my calories at Breakfast and Lunch; I decided to dedicate quite a bit to my Grazing/Snacking and have a decent Dinner.

With 1,440 calories my goals are typically similar to the following. Of course this varies. However, I usually plan my breakfast and my Lunches the week before to keep on track. Dinner is usually up in the air.

250 Breakfast
250 Lunch
500 Dinner
This gives me around 400 calories for snaking :happy:

Working 10 hour days and tending to want a midnight snack. I have to make these calories stretch! I tried the 100 cal packs of snacks only to want two of them for every snack. I love bananas but if that were my only snack I could only have 3. So I want to share my list of snacks that I carry to work in order to be able to have lots of snacks throughout the day and not feel guilty or like a pig :blushing:

Sugar Free Jell-O: I like the Wild Cherry and Strawberry 10 calories per serving.

Weight watchers Light String Cheese: I like this because I can take my time eating it. And I LOVE cheese! 50 Calories per serving.

Sugar Free Jell-O puddings: I like double chocolate and Vanilla but they have lots to choose from if you get bored. 50-60 calories per serving depending on flavor

Pretzel Sticks: I like these in place of regular pretzels because with these I can eat one at a time so it doesn’t seem to disappear in one bite. Around 52 of these are right at 100 calories.

Rice Cake minis: They have lots of flavors to choose from so you won’t get bored. My favorite flavors are cheddar and the caramel. I like these in place of movie popcorn you can have 9 for around 70 calories or 18 for around 140 depending on flavor. (This adds calories but try these with peanut butter!)

Kettle Corn 100 calorie bags: I love that it is sweet and warm. Fixes my sweet tooth and it’s a huge snack that also takes a while to eat.

No Sugar added Ice pops: I have found these in lots of fruit flavors. Around 25-40 calories per Popsicle!

No sugar added Fudge Pops: around 45 calories each!

Dill Pickles: I can only eat a few spears and satisfy my sodium craving. 5 calories per spear!!!

Breakstone’s Cottage Cheese doubles: My favorite is Pineapple but they also have blueberry. 100 calories

Diet Cherry Lime-Aid from Sonic: My weakness!!!! I like to stop by after the park it’s cold and refreshing and hits my sweet tooth. The regular Cherry Lime-Aid is 340 calories. The Diet one in a large is only 10 Calories.

Please share your favorite Snacks that are 100 calories or less. These are awesome snacks but I don’t want to get bored. If I get board I will get discouraged. I want to stick to this!!!
Thanks for reading.

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Oh I am totally with you on this one! I love to snack as well and I snack on very small healthy things throughout the day. Sometimes like every two hours or so.

I always start out with a healthy breakfast e.g., yogurt and fruit, egg whites, etc. and then start to snack, graze, whatever you want to call it. It's the best thing to do! You are never hungry and you keep your metabolism going all day long.

Some of my favorites are as follows:
    - Hard boiled egg whites filled with hummus
    - Red apple slices with either hummus or greek yogurt spread on top
    - Baby carrots
    - A couple of slices of no salt turkey rolled up with a string cheese stick
    - A handful of cocoa roasted almonds (100 calorie pack, or half of that pack)
    - Almonds (noted above) mixed with some fresh blueberries
    - Egg white bites
    - Wasa rye crisp bread cracker with laughing cow light cheese spread on it
    - Raw vegan sprouted seed crisps

There are just a few.

I also spread out my calories and end up with around 400 to 500 to spare for dinner (and more snacking) :smile:

Great post, thanks!
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    I love eggs! I will have to try the hard boiled egg whites with Hummus!
    The Cheese stick warped in turkey is an Awesome Idea! Like I said I love cheese!
    I Have not tried the Wasa rye crisps bread crackers. But I love the Laughing cow wedges.

Thanks so Much for the New Ideas!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    My go-to snacks:

- Crispy Green freeze-dried pineapple (from Whole Foods) at 30 cals/pack

- 100-calorie pack dried cranberries

- almonds

- apples, apples, and more apples :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Here are some that I like (some are repeats...):

Hard-boiled egg (80 calories)
    Clementines (around 40 calories each)
    Cherries (5 calories each or so, so 10-20 are a good snack)
    Laughing cow light (most varieties are 35 calories per wedge) and 4-5 Ritz crackers (just about 100 cals total)
    Carrots (about 35 calories per 3 oz)
    Celery (100g is 16 calories)
    Pears, Apples, navel oranges (medium are usually 80-100 calories)
    Nature's Own Wheat Bread, toasted, with jam (50 cals for the bread, 50 for the jam)
    Popcorn (about 30 calories per cup for air-popped. Add butter (1/3" X 1" square) for another 36 calories) and you can have 2 cups for about 96 calories.
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    OMG I Must try the Frozen Pineapples :)
    Thanks For your suggestions! This really helps!
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    OMG I Must try the Frozen Pineapples :)
    Thanks For your suggestions! This really helps!
    My go-to snacks:

- Crispy Green freeze-dried pineapple (from Whole Foods) at 30 cals/pack

- 100-calorie pack dried cranberries

- almonds

- apples, apples, and more apples :)
  • jnmaddock
    jnmaddock Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The Cheese stick warped in turkey is an Awesome Idea! Like I said I love cheese!
    I Have not tried the Wasa rye crisps bread crackers. But I love the Laughing cow wedges.

Wasa rye crisp breads are good. Ryvitas!
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    I Didn't realize clementines were so low in calories! Same with the Natures on toast with jam. Gonna add some of these to my list! I
    Here are some that I like (some are repeats...):

Hard-boiled egg (80 calories)
    Clementines (around 40 calories each)
    Cherries (5 calories each or so, so 10-20 are a good snack)
    Laughing cow light (most varieties are 35 calories per wedge) and 4-5 Ritz crackers (just about 100 cals total)
    Carrots (about 35 calories per 3 oz)
    Celery (100g is 16 calories)
    Pears, Apples, navel oranges (medium are usually 80-100 calories)
    Nature's Own Wheat Bread, toasted, with jam (50 cals for the bread, 50 for the jam)
    Popcorn (about 30 calories per cup for air-popped. Add butter (1/3" X 1" square) for another 36 calories) and you can have 2 cups for about 96 calories.
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    I like the fact that most of what everyone is posting is affordable. I have a limited budget so it's nice to see some affordable ideas apposed to all the fancy ones.
  • Jamie_durham
    Options
    I will have to get some on my next trip to the store :) Excited to add some new Items!

Wasa rye crisp breads are good. Ryvitas!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    For low carb I like to spread laughing cow cheese on cucumber slices or grape tomatoes (12 are about 35 calories) and a quarter cup of 1% cottage cheese(45 calories)
  • dshearrer
    dshearrer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    These are some great idea's-

i eat alot of grapes/apples/carrots/celary but i am going to look into these other options too!!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like 30-45g of guacamole (I make it myself, just avocado, salsa, lemon juice, garlic salt) with baby carrots or other veggie sticks. I also like an ounce of thin deli ham or turkey slices with half an ounce of very thin deli cheese slices rolled up with some chives. I keep light string cheese and some turkey jerky sticks at work, too. And I dip pretzel sticks in Laughing Cow (half a serving keeps it under a hundred cals).
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I like to have a chopped apple with cinnamon sprinkled on the wedges
    chopped celery sticks with 3 tbsp spicy hummus
    air popped popcorn with a bit of sea salt
    1 cup broccoli with soy sauce
    a miso soup packet
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I was running out of ideas but now have a lot to add to my grocery list!
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is spicy hummus on cucumber

I also really love dry toast. I know its weird but I eat 3 pieces a day. Oroweat healthfull nutty bread is my favorite and only 80 calories for a large slice
  • YesIAre
    YesIAre Posts: 15
    Options
    Bump .... big time snacker. Saving this for later! Great post!
  • beckyhaa
    beckyhaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some of these are repeats, but I also like:

Low fat string cheese (50 cal)

Lots and lots of fruit and veggies!! - blueberries, blackberries, apples, grapes, baby carrots, grape tomatoes, and peapods are some of my favorites. I shop at Aldi, which I've found to have a really good selection of produce for cheap! (Might depend on the store)

Half an avocado with garlic salt (and lemon juice if available) - got avocados for 50 cents at Aldi this week! (around 117 cal)

Popcorn - I pop it on the stove top with some Canola oil, have been meaning to buy some coconut oil to try.

unsalted peanuts or almonds
  • medeamama
    medeamama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I nibble on d'noir prunes! So tasty, and so low in calories & high in fiber!
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like the following:

Cinnamon Applesauce
    Sunsweet Prunes
    Any of the 100 calorie packs (Cheez-its, Cookies, Pretzels)
    Sugar free Jello
    Kellogg's Fruit Crisps
    Apples (I like to do a 1 Tbsp of peanut butter to dip in, but that would make it over 100 calories in this thread)
    Chocolate...yes chocolate... kisses, hearts, squares, mint patties etc
    String cheese
    Dill pickles
    Blue Bunny Orange Dream Bars

I tend to like any of the portioned out things for snacks, such as the snack size Doritos, Lays, Little Debbie cakes etc. It works best for me. I love Kar's Sweet & Salty snack mix packets.