Ok. Ive heard this but dont know if it's true

I heard your body burns more calories during that time of the month than others even though you are bloated..

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    I'm not sure, but would like to know...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I would say that if it does, it's not enough to make a significant difference.

I've been at this for about 2 years (maintaining for the last 6 months or so) and I have yet to notice a calorie burn/weight loss difference related to my TOM. If anything, I put on a few pounds of water weight and then it's gone by the end of the cycle.
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    I've heard up to 15%, and then I've heard 100 - 300 hundred calories more.

I personally know I do get much hungrier on my period, but I still try my hardest not to go over. I typically just fill my body in with more protein and it helps keep me satisfied.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I heard that on this site and did a little research. It does seem you may burn up to 300 calories more per day but of course it would vary by person. I wouldn't adjust calories for it given it's such a small amount. But, I feel a little less guilty when I go over at that time of month LOL.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I would say that if it does, it's not enough to make a significant difference.

I've been at this for about 2 years (maintaining for the last 6 months or so) and I have yet to notice a calorie burn/weight loss difference related to my TOM. If anything, I put on a few pounds of water weight and then it's gone by the end of the cycle.

This. It makes sense that since your uterus is a muscle and it's working to shed your endometrial tissue, it is in effect "working out," but I wouldn't eat more during that time just because of that.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    I've noticed decent weight loss during and right after my period. I seem to bloat before/after my period rather than during.

I had actually wondered if my body was burning more calories, interesting to hear that might be the case! It definitely makes sense.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It's impossible to know honestly. I only lose weight after TOM. I gain 2-3 lbs before. That's all I know.
  • EternalFiend
    EternalFiend Posts: 9 Member
    I've heard about 200 calories a day more when it's the TOM so you ca lose more weight that week if your calories stay the same, but then this will level out in the week after :) I'm not sure if that is true, but during that time (well, most of the time really), I do try and listen to my body - so if I am hungry I will eat a healthy snack - trying my best to ignore the salt and sugar cravings!