Eating Too Many Carbs!

Options
I've finally admitted to myself that I am eating too many carbs. Its obvious when I input my daily food intake here, but I didn't want to pay attention to the red numbers. I am on a tight budget, and may not be able to afford any substitutes. Besides, I am back to my size 6 (yay me!) and I'm re-gaining any weight, so I must be fine, right?

But no, I can't ignore those red numbers anymore. I eat too many carbs, period. And they are mostly "good" carbs, like whole grain, fruits and veggies. But its still too much. I'm looking around for alternatives, but they are so pricey!

How do any of you here deal with controlling your carb intake while keeping control of your budget?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I've finally admitted to myself that I am eating too many carbs. Its obvious when I input my daily food intake here, but I didn't want to pay attention to the red numbers. I am on a tight budget, and may not be able to afford any substitutes. Besides, I am back to my size 6 (yay me!) and I'm re-gaining any weight, so I must be fine, right?

But no, I can't ignore those red numbers anymore. I eat too many carbs, period. And they are mostly "good" carbs, like whole grain, fruits and veggies. But its still too much. I'm looking around for alternatives, but they are so pricey!

How do any of you here deal with controlling your carb intake while keeping control of your budget?
    Your losing weight, your maintain it, your carbs are coming from natural sources and your questioning yourself. Red is just a color that the website assigns to your imput, it's not an evil doer, just adjust your account to reflect more carbs.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If ALL of your carbs are coming from whole grain, whole fruits (not juices) and vegies, I'm not entirely sure you're eating too many carbs. Are you pre-diabetic or anything that would make your body digest carbs poorly?

However, if you'd like to add healthy fats and proteins on a budget, I have TONS of tips. But I'll stick to just a few that I found have the biggest bang for your buck (in my shopping region, I mean. YMMV).

-Cheapest "good" fats foods that also have tons of vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. and are actually food: walnuts, avocado (in season)
    -Cheapest proteins: eggs, protein powder, chicken breast, frozen ground turkey
    -Best, cheapest, most filling, whole grain with tons of protein and fiber: lentils
    -Best, cheapest, most filling, whole fruit: clementines, apples, bananas (frozen blueberries are also cheap and good for you)
  • CielArdent9
    Options
    If ALL of your carbs are coming from whole grain, whole fruits (not juices) and vegies, I'm not entirely sure you're eating too many carbs. Are you pre-diabetic or anything that would make your body digest carbs poorly?

However, if you'd like to add healthy fats and proteins on a budget, I have TONS of tips. But I'll stick to just a few that I found have the biggest bang for your buck (in my shopping region, I mean. YMMV).

-Cheapest "good" fats foods that also have tons of vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc. and are actually food: walnuts, avocado (in season)
    -Cheapest proteins: eggs, protein powder, chicken breast, frozen ground turkey
    -Best, cheapest, most filling, whole grain with tons of protein and fiber: lentils
    -Best, cheapest, most filling, whole fruit: clementines, apples, bananas (frozen blueberries are also cheap and good for you)

No, I have no health problems. I just see the red numbers and worry that I may reverse all my hard work.

But thanks for the list!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Your diary is locked, so we can't see what you mean by 'too many carbs.' However, as long as you're staying within your allotted calorie amount then you'll lose weight. Same with maintenance-as long as you stay within your maintenance calories you'll maintain.

I didn't even track macros while I was losing weight, just calories (before I found MFP and I was tracking calories with pen and paper). I still don't really pay attention to them, now that I'm in maintenance :)
  • Fit_little_vegan
    Options
    I eat 80-90% of my calories a day ALL from carbs yet I'm losing weight
    Hmmmmm funny
    Lol carbs from natural place like fruit don't make you fat
    If your eating things like cake and cookies which people think are carbs but there actually a fat than yes, you could gain weight.
    Mfp doesn't set up your macros right you usually have to do it yourself depending what your going for.