Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can you follow TDEE with an inconsistent activity level?

I'm interested in trying out the IIFYM way. However my activity level is very inconsistent and since TDEE is taking in your exercise I wasn't sure if it would work for me.

- desk job
- when time and health allow, I dance, zumba and horseback ride. Not all at once but sometimes more than one thing in a day.
- I'm in overtime right now so I'm less active

Should I set my TDEE to sedentary and use a HRM to eat back exercise calories or just set it to sedentary and not eat anything back or something else?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    hmmm Yes you can use the TDEE Method with inconsistent activity just be honest about your activity...if you are mainly sedentary right now use that and don't eat back calories.

If at some point you become more active reasses you TDEE.

TDEE method means you don't eat back calories...if that's what you want than use the NEAT method and set your macros to what you want.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I would probably use the 1-3 hours of light exercise option, and adjust based on real-world results. Give it a month, and if you are maintaining lower it a bit, losing too fast up it a bit. I find the calculators to not offer enough activity options anyway, so you pretty much always have to adjust to get the results you need.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Thanks!

Right now I'm not losing anything and haven't been. I've actually been mostly maintaining but over a year I've still gained a lot. There's something wrong or at least not quite right and I'm in the middle of securing a diagnosis. In the meantime, I'm just trying different things for 5-6 weeks at a time to see if anything happens.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Are you fairly consistent within a week's time at least? For me, I'm not very consistent day-to-day, but I know that I workout at least 3 hours a week at medium intensity, whether it's 6 30 minute workouts or 2 intense activities for 2-3 hours. So, I set my level to that and if I get extra activity in, it's a bonus.
  • VelveteenArabian
    Are you fairly consistent within a week's time at least? For me, I'm not very consistent day-to-day, but I know that I workout at least 3 hours a week at medium intensity, whether it's 6 30 minute workouts or 2 intense activities for 2-3 hours. So, I set my level to that and if I get extra activity in, it's a bonus.

I was before tax season started. I used to be active 7 days a week. Now I'm working 10-11 hours a day, 6 days a week with a 45 min commute each way, so it gets hard to feel up to much. My horse thinks the break is awesome and my dance/Zumba classes are befuddled that now I'm in the back, LOL. I've been doing a little bit over the past couple weeks but randomly.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Fair warning. Using your HRM for activities other than walking/jogging/running is going to yield you sloppy results.

Those things are only meant to calculate calories burned during those activities.

Otherwise, just use your head about it. Look at your average exercise per week, and go from there.

I've been injured lately, so I had to drop down from TDEE to sedentary + entering calories burned whenever I do exercise. It suits me best for right now.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    I would actually recommend a Fitbit for your problem, thought I would not wear it on a horse...

Then you know what you are actually accomplishing on a day to day basis!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Thanks!

Right now I'm not losing anything and haven't been. I've actually been mostly maintaining but over a year I've still gained a lot. There's something wrong or at least not quite right and I'm in the middle of securing a diagnosis. In the meantime, I'm just trying different things for 5-6 weeks at a time to see if anything happens.

I just read this. Why do you think you have a problem? How many calories are you consuming gross and net? Why haven't you tried dropping your net by 200 calories for a few weeks to see if that helps?
  • VelveteenArabian
    Thanks!

I just read this. Why do you think you have a problem? How many calories are you consuming gross and net? Why haven't you tried dropping your net by 200 calories for a few weeks to see if that helps?

I have tried eating 1200, 1500 and 1800 calories per day eating back 0/25%/50%/80%/100% or calories. I've used a HRM while doing cardio (mostly dance and Zumba but certain methods of riding definitely get your heartbeat up). I've tried using calories from online calculators and from the HRM. In the past year I've gained 20 pounds, all tracked by MFP.

Yes with consistent weighing and measuring.

My TDEE is at 1803 and my BMR was 1540somethint set to sedentary as of this morning. So I've been eating at a deficit even based on that.

I was 105 in 2008, working on a farm (riding, wrangling animals, etc). I gained 20 pounds. Worked in a warehouse (moving boxes) for 2 years and gained a bunch more.

Even tried the stupid shake diet for a three week period in 2012 and nothing happened.

But mostly because my thyroid labs are barely normal and my cortisol level is about 6 times what it should be. They are thinking its an adrenal issue and recommended that I get some scans. Already made the appt, just gotta wait for it.

Up until Dec 2013 I was logging then I gave up. Now I'm waiting for the endrochronologist to set me an appt after the scans.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    - when time and health allow, I dance, zumba and horseback ride. Not all at once but sometimes more than one thing in a day.

Maybe you should try doing all at once? And sell tickets, perhaps? At least I'd like to see that.

In all seriousness, good luck with figuring out what's going on and good luck on your goals! :flowerforyou:
  • VelveteenArabian

Maybe you should try doing all at once? And sell tickets, perhaps? At least I'd like to see that.

In all seriousness, good luck with figuring out what's going on and good luck on your goals! :flowerforyou:

LOL and thank you :)
    If you want to see crazy stuff on horseback, check out vaulting. It's gymnastics on a horse.