Weightlifting shoes

Options
The other day I was reading an article on form for different weight exercises. It said not to wear shoes with cushioning, such as running shoes or cross trainers. I always wear running shoes when I lift. What is so bad about this?

So should I get different shoes or just lift barefoot? I exercise in my basement.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the cushioning creates unwanted movement and instability.

you want-
    barefood
    chucks
    vibrams
    mimamlist shoes
    power lfiting shoes

roughly in order of least expensive- to most expensive.

barefoot is an excellent option. or your socks. So much more stability than cross trainers.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    What type of running shoes? I wear Skoras, a minimalist style running shoe for lifting and they work great! As long as they don't have a lot of drop they should be fine. You don't want to feel your toes pushing forward when you're squatting.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    What type of running shoes? I wear Skoras, a minimalist style running shoe for lifting and they work great! As long as they don't have a lot of drop they should be fine. You don't want to feel your toes pushing forward when you're squatting.

My running shoes are stability shoes. I usually run on the treadmill for 15-20 minutes before lifting, so I can just take off my shoes and lift barefoot. No big deal.
  • Matt_C_195
    Matt_C_195 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    the cushioning creates unwanted movement and instability.

you want-
    barefood
    chucks
    vibrams
    mimamlist shoes
    power lfiting shoes

roughly in order of least expensive- to most expensive.

barefoot is an excellent option. or your socks. So much more stability than cross trainers.

Vibrams!