MapMyWalk app

Options
Okay, so for those of you that like to walk, MFP is sponsoring a free app called MapMyFitness. After going to their website, I discovered they have a lot of "MapMy"....whatever apps. One includes MapMyWalk. That one seemed to appeal to me more than the others.

It is a cool app that works off your phone's GPS. The interface is simple to use and the available features are pretty nice. After setting up your profile, age, weight, gender, etc., you're ready to roll.

The feature I like is the ability to to create my own route, or have the app create one for me based on my location, distance of the walk I want to take, etc. Once it has your location, you can just keep flipping through different routes until you find the one you want. You can send the route to your phone and when you're ready to walk, start it and it maps your time, speed, calories burned, etc. You can then save the route for future use as well as sync it to MFP for automatic posting and logging of the exercise.

Cheers!

Replies

• ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been using Map My Walk for a couple of years - I love it, and now it syncs with My Fitness Pal and my Fit Bit! Great!!
  • ScottH_200
    ScottH_200 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I've been using Map My Walk for a couple of years - I love it, and now it syncs with My Fitness Pal and my Fit Bit! Great!!

Great! I'm just getting started with it. So, we'll see how it goes.
  • kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I've been using it for about a month and am not so impressed. Apparently for a 3 mile walk I burn less than 150 calories. For the same walk Runtastic gave me about 500 calories, whereas MFP gives me just over 300. :huh:
  • ScottH_200
    Options
    I've been using it for about a month and am not so impressed. Apparently for a 3 mile walk I burn less than 150 calories. For the same walk Runtastic gave me about 500 calories, whereas MFP gives me just over 300. :huh:

That's funny, because the app shows more calories burned for me than does MFP ;-)
  • trippymace
    Options
    @kcasey155 Get a HRM. I use MapMyFitness, which gives me roughly the amount of calories that my HRM says I burned when I walk. It's waaay off when I use an elliptical. The only halfway accurate number you'll probably get with a HRM. At least in my experience.
  • rachelemily_xo
    Options
    My friend uses MPW with MFP but we can't seem to get it to sync?? we've connected the two but the exercise doesn't come up on MFP :( anyone might know why?
  • dawnee68
    dawnee68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love Map My Walk, syncs no problem with MFP. Just been on a massive hike and got lost, the GPS got me back on track!
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    Nice! Ive seen people use MapMyRun, didn't kbow they had a walking one as well. Good info.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    Think I've sorted mine out with an adjustment to the settings online. Also got it to sync with mfp and the calories burned are now similar. However, as an app I thought Runtastic was the bees knees even for walking, just that I thought it overestimated calories burned. Now I'm thinking perhaps I had the setting wrong on that one too :ohwell:
  • oceanbreeze22
    oceanbreeze22 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just used Mapmywalk yesterday and it was great!

Great tool to time my pace and distance.
  • kcasey155
    Options
    I have been using MapMyWalk for the last couple years. It's a great app for tracking your walks, but I would caution new users on 2 things: (1) The distances reported by the app are roughly 50% greater than in actuality and (2) The calories burned according to the app are nearly double what is generally accepted for the given exercise.

I've not had a problem with the distance and if your calories are much off 100 cals per mile perhaps you should re-check your settings like I had to! You may be lighter now than you were when you started for instance.
  • ScottH_200
    Options
    I have been using MapMyWalk for the last couple years. It's a great app for tracking your walks, but I would caution new users on 2 things: (1) The distances reported by the app are roughly 50% greater than in actuality and (2) The calories burned according to the app are nearly double what is generally accepted for the given exercise.

That hasn't been my experience at all. The minutes per mile speed shown are very accurate in calculating what I know to be the speed I'm walking. The subsequent distance walked shown is pretty much right on. Not only that, I've cross checked it with my fitbit pedometer and the numbers correlate very closely.

There can always be some discrepancy when relying on these apps and gadgets, however, being off by "roughly 50% than in actuality", is a bit of a stretch.

In addition, I've cross-checked the calories burned per session numbers displayed after my walks with various online calculators and have found that the numbers for my gender, age & current weight are right in line.

That said, the only numbers that really count in the long run for someone like me trying to get back into good shape are inches & pounds lost. So far, in 105 days I've dropped 2 clothes sizes and right around 50 lbs. I'm pretty sure that the MapMyWalk app, nor my fitbit pedometer lost those inches and pounds for me. I did ;-)