Scales and numbers.....

Options
beaches61
beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
My question is, I have a manual (dial type) scale at home where I weigh myself in the morning. It's a heavy-duty scale and I tested it with dumbells to calibrate it so I know that it's accurate. However, I cannot determine my weight with a huge degree of accuracy. That scale may vary by a pound or two, depending on how you stand on it.

I also weigh myself on the gym scale, where there is a very nice, very good digital scale that weighs with great precision. However, I don't always weight myself there at the same time of day or under the same circumstances (after eating, before eating, afternoon, evening, after a lot of water, etc.) so that number fluctuates depending on the circumstances.

Both scales seem to be showing the trend of a pretty slow, gradual weight loss. And my clothes are fitting a little looser, and I can see some subtle body changes.

So the indications are I'm going in the right direction. The problem is, I can't say with exactness HOW MUCH weight I've lost.

I know that it's not about the numbers, it's about health, how I feel, etc.

However, the numbers are a BIG BIG motivator. Not the only motivator, but an important one.

I'm debating whether I should buy a digital scale for my home so I can know exactly what I weigh. I don't really NEED one, since I have a perfectly good scale, though not an especially precise one. I don't want to spend $50 for a new scale I don't need. Then again, if it motivates me and keeps me going, maybe it's worth it?

I also don't want to lie to myself or anyone else about how much weight I've lost. But it's kind of hard to know.

Thoughts?

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I had one of those scales that would tell me a few different weights depending on how I stood on it. So I was never exactly sure what I weighed. I was also a bit jealous :) to see everyone else logging their .4lb losses so I bought an inexpensive $20 digital scale from walmart and it has worked just fine for me.
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I know about that, thanks! I don't feel comfortable logging my weight when I'm not sure what it is!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I was lucky to get a digital scale for three bucks at a local pharmacy due to a promotion they were having, but I'd say it's roughly along the lines of something you could buy for $20-30 in Target or similar.

I weigh myself every morning, in a t-shirt or less, after using the restroom but before eating or drinking anything. That is the only weight I count. I don't weigh myself later in the day, ever.

My mom has the same kind of scale I do, but hers routinely weighs at 3-5 lb lower than my own. It was so tempting when I was at 200-202 lb to use the 198-199 at my mom's house hehe

I just think using the same scale (which you know is accurate) would be best. Good luck!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    lol,

I would just check-in with the lowest weight :laugh:

Your body weight will fluctuate throughout the day and month so there never is an exact weight