Running

Options
I started running 4 months ago and I'm up to 3 miles. My question is how long should I rest between my runs? On some days I can run 3 miles no problem but on other days I'm lucky to get a mile or 2 in and I'm trying to go for 4 miles but I can't seem to get there. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I started running 4 months ago and I'm up to 3 miles. My question is how long should I rest between my runs? On some days I can run 3 miles no problem but on other days I'm lucky to get a mile or 2 in and I'm trying to go for 4 miles but I can't seem to get there. Am I doing something wrong?

No, you are doing everything correct.

Try running every other day, so one day run, one day rest, one day run, one day rest etc etc.

Set aside one day per week when you will do your longest run, so in your case, aim for three and a quarter miles, this takes you quarter of a mile over your personal best as it stands at the moment. Pick one day per week to do interval running, this will give you oxygen deficit and get your lungs strong for the longer runs. Interval running may be something like, run for half a mile, walk briskly for 300 metres, run for half a mile, walk briskly for 300 metres - do 3 x 800m with 300 metres brisk walk inbetween. Then on the remaining day, do a medium distant run of, say two miles at a comfortable pace, a pace that you will not feel you have to stop and walk.

Do this for two weeks and then up the longer run to three and a half mile, the medium comfortable run to two and a quarter miles and the interval training at faster shorter runs adding another rep in (eg 4 x 800m with 300metre walk inbetween or 4 x 600 metres with 200 metres walk inbetween).

You see, by building up very gradually, you will not notice how you are improving and it will become easier and easier until, the week arrives when your long run means running that 4 miles and run it you will as you will now be fitter and stronger.

Don't ever rush it, just take it really gradually, you will breeze it if you give yourself time xxx
  • Angila
    Angila Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much that is really good advice, I will try that and let you know. And thanks for wanting to be my friend!!:bigsmile: