Stuck at a certain weight? (and: any vegans out there?)

Options
Hey everyone!

I've just started keeping track of my daily calories in order to reach my goal, looking very slim, toned (and fitting into European/German size 36 pants, but that's not that important).

In the past year, I've already lost approximately 6kg/13 lbs by cutting back on "bad" stuff and incorporating exercise into my weekly routine. I now weigh around 63 kg/139 lbs but seem to be stuck at that number. I'd love to be around 57 kg/126 lbs but I'm starting to feel as if I can't achieve my goal (at least not in a healthy and sustainable way) because I've already tried so hard to break my plateau for more than 5 months.
Does anyone have the same problem? Did anyone of you eventually find out that they can't go below a certain weight?
Btw, I'm almost 5'8'' (172 cm) and have a rather broad frame.

Anyway, by keeping a food diary, eating approximately 1300 kcal/day and increasing my level of acitivity I hope to achieve my goal despite my doubts. I know I have to be patient to see results as I'm not at all overweight.

Another problem is that I've found that what really boosts my weight loss is cutting back on carbs. As I'm a vegan (for ethical reasons) a low carb diet is extremely hard to follow, and quite impossible to maintain forever. Are there any other vegans out there who know what I'm speaking of?

Thanks for your input!

Julia

P.S.: I'm not a native speaker, so please excuse any spelling/grammar mistakes.

Replies

• nicolared1
    Options
    I'm a vegan! And yes, eating low carb is really difficult. I did a stint on full-on low carb (using Rose Elliot's book), but it was just too repetitive, which is why I'm just counting calories now. I buy a lot of fake meat burgers, sausages etc for protein, and I do eat a lot of tofu. I love tofu, but even I got a bit sick of it on the low carb diet.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    vegan here!!
  • ganjafitness
    Options
    here!!!
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    @nicolared1: I can imagine how hard that was! I love tofu too, but I don't want to incorporate too many soy products into my diet. Don' t think permanent low-carbing is really healthy on a vegan diet.

@veganbettie and @ganjafitness: Nice to know that I'm not the only one! :)
  • jenelleyork1
    Options
    Hello! I am a registered dietitian & vegan. I'd love to talk you through breaking your plateau. I am just learning the interactive features of myfitnesspal. PM me & I'll ask some questions to get a full picture of what you're doing now. I mostly use the app to motivate me to exercise & ocassionally check in on my protein intake. Also feel free to visit my website www.yorkandspoon.com
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @juliafromrf Being vegan is a great choice! I would look at alternative protein supplements that contain pea and hemp. They are the most absorbed proteins in vegetarian form. PM/friend me and I can give you a link to read. :)
  • rob9n
    rob9n Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vegan here!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I now weigh around 63 kg/139 lbs but seem to be stuck at that number. I'd love to be around 57 kg/126 lbs but I'm starting to feel as if I can't achieve my goal (at least not in a healthy and sustainable way) because I've already tried so hard to break my plateau for more than 5 months.

Does anyone have the same problem? Did anyone of you eventually find out that they can't go below a certain weight?
    Btw, I'm almost 5'8'' (172 cm) and have a rather broad frame.

Anyway, by keeping a food diary, eating approximately 1300 kcal/day and increasing my level of acitivity I hope to achieve my goal despite my doubts. I know I have to be patient.
    The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. Set your weight-loss goal to the slowest rate (in pounds, it's .5 lb. per week), and be patient.

If you haven't lost anything at all in 5 months, then you're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your exercise. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants