After I'm done cutting......

Options
After I'm done cutting towards the end of March, I would like to start my first bulk. My TDEE is 2920 and my BMR is around 1900.

Can you give me some tips on how to bulk? How many calories I should eat based on my TDEE? What should I eat/what should I not eat? How often should I do cardio, if at all?

Every little bit of info helps.... thanks!

Replies

• skipotronik
    skipotronik Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you want to bulk you shoud eat your weight in pounds x 20 = number of calories.
    you should eat 40 % protein 40 % fat and 20 % carbs.

Example : i weigh 185 pounds , i should eat 3700 calories , 1480 from protein, 1480 from fat and 740 from carbs

what : protein eggs,:turkey,steak, chicken and fish (horse meat if you want also )
    fat : almonds, coco oil ,eggs
    carbs : sweet potatoes, oat , green vegetebles.
    you will be eating 6-7 meals a day

Skip
  • bgar1585
    Options
    If you want to bulk you shoud eat your weight in pounds x 20 = number of calories.

Example : i weigh 185 pounds , i should eat 3700 calories , 1480 from protein, 1480 from fat and 740 from carbs

what : protein eggs,:turkey,steak, chicken and fish (horse meat if you want also )

Skip

Great, thanks man. Is there any foods I should stay away from? Does it matter what I eat, as long as I stay within those calorie and ratio numbers?
  • ChaoticUT
    Options

Skip

Great advice to start with.

If you struggle eating enough calories milk is always a cheap, easy, quick way to get extra calories.

Make sure your water intake is really high too! Shoot for at least a gallon.
  • bgar1585
    Options

Skip

Great advice to start with.

If you struggle eating enough calories milk is always a cheap, easy, quick way to get extra calories.

Make sure your water intake is really high too! Shoot for at least a gallon.

Thanks for the advice! I drink around 11-14 cups of water a day so I'm good in that department
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    subscribed
  • helpwithbulk
    Options

370 grams of protein a day... maybe if you're Mr. Olympia lol, Even if you were on a super gear stack (tren/test/etc.) there is still no way you could utilize even double your LBM in protein.
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options

370 grams of protein a day... maybe if you're Mr. Olympia lol, Even if you were on a super gear stack (tren/test/etc.) there is still no way you could utilize even double your LBM in protein.

lol, this.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    So what's a more realistic ratio?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Do you plan on doing a lean bulk or dirty bulk?
  • bgar1585
    Options
    Do you plan on doing a lean bulk or dirty bulk?

A Lean bulk
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    1-1.5g protein per lb of LBM (use an online calculator to find this out), 0.5g per lb LBM fat - the rest carbs. Some people like a bit more protein than that, find what works for you.

You want to try and eat 500 cals over your TDEE to begin with. This is known as a 'clean' bulk, because people think it optimises the muscle to fat ratio in your gain. Or, you could just eat all the foods - this is a 'dirty' bulk.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Try eating 300-500 cals over your TDEE to start with
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    IMHO this is a good writeup.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-best-way-to-gain-muscle-not-fat/

He doesn't go too much into setting macos but this article does:

http://www.muscleforlife.com/healthy-meal-planning-tips/

TL:DR (taken from second link) - When you’re in a calorie surplus, limit your protein intake to 1 gram per pound of body weight, get 20% of your daily calories from fat, and get the rest from carbohydrate. (note this does assume you are not obese. If for some reason you are wanting to bulk but currently have a lot of body fat, then use 1 gram per pound of lean body mass)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to do a lean bulk, take your TDEE and try to eat 300-500 calories above that. If that's too much food for you, try to lower your TDEE (I had to stop running because I couldn't eat enough food)! For ratios, an easy way is to eat at least your total weight in protein (easier than calculating your LBM, etc.) and for carbs and fats, that up to you and your preferences. Personally, I eat higher fat and lower carb because that's what I like. My bulk is going slow--gained 3 lbs in 12 weeks, but it was 2 lbs muscle and only 1 lb fat . Women tend to build muscle slower than men. You should try to shoot for about 1 lb gain/week. Good luck!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    wait... there is a such a thing as stopping cutting?
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I was doing some research on building recently and ran across a video by a body builder out in california who is a promoter for Mutant Supplements. Name escapes me. Anyway he did a video on what he eats daily when adding muscle. Google #eatbigtogetbig and find the video. WOW!!!
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Below is a link to Dan Green's diet.

Dan Green is one of the top power lifters currently.

He is 5'10" ~240lb

A lot of the power lifters diets i have read actually do not use protein bars/powders etc. Most believe in whole protein sources. 1.5-2grams of protein a day these guys aim at. Might be an over-kill to some degree but i guess until i'm deadlifting 3+X my bodyweight I can't argue with them.

http://www.jtstrong.com/articles/logs/alpha-lounge-you-wanted-to-know-here-is-my-diet/
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try eating 300-500 cals over your TDEE to start with

This.
  • skipotronik
    skipotronik Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    if you want outstanding results you Gotta eat outstanding quantities of Protein.

Also you will gain strength with that.

Good luck
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was doing some research on building recently and ran across a video by a body builder out in california who is a promoter for Mutant Supplements. Name escapes me. Anyway he did a video on what he eats daily when adding muscle. Google #eatbigtogetbig and find the video. WOW!!!

That's Rich Piana, kind of a douche but he knows his stuff