About 50lbs down and no difference...

Options
Hi. I started using MFP in September (2013) and have lost about 24kg in the last 4 months going from 330lbs to 276 or so. My problem however is that despite the weight loss, my stomach is exactly the same size as it was before. I've lost a bit of the thigh and neck measurements which were the only other ones I did so I find this a bit strange.

Has anyone else had a similar experience during weightloss? I mean I have around 50-60 lbs left to lose and about half of that must be from my gut now!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    You're male? Stomachs are often the last place to lose weight in some men. You've surely seen skinny old me with big round bellys, right?

(1) Are you certain you're measuring the EXACT same spot? with the tape measurer the EXACT same tautness and same angle?
    (2) Have you been lifting weights?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Yes, and sorry to tell you that you cannot force weight loss from our problem areas . . . oh! how I wish we could.

It sounds like you have the same issue that I have with weight coming from areas we are least concerned about. I am at 70 lbs down, still not totally happy with my thighs and hips but generally happier and better off.

So, CONGRATULATIONS! on the weight you have lost, keep up the good work and know that in your stomachs own time it will go down :smile:
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You're male? Stomachs are often the last place to lose weight in some men. You've surely seen skinny old me with big round bellys, right?

(1) Are you certain you're measuring the EXACT same spot? with the tape measurer the EXACT same tautness and same angle?
    (2) Have you been lifting weights?

Yep I'm male, so that might explain it. I always assumed the bellies on some older guys were beer bellies and was hoping to escape that since I don't drink! :p
  • Dandman1990
    Dandman1990 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, and sorry to tell you that you cannot force weight loss from our problem areas . . . oh! how I wish we could.

It sounds like you have the same issue that I have with weight coming from areas we are least concerned about. I am at 70 lbs down, still not totally happy with my thighs and hips but generally happier and better off.

So, CONGRATULATIONS! on the weight you have lost, keep up the good work and know that in your stomachs own time it will go down :smile:

Thanks, you too! I'm just worried because I literally haven't lost a single milimetre so far on my stomach and it's the area that really needs to go down! lol.
  • FitForFunKanata
    FitForFunKanata Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not to worry. My stomach is the last place I lose weight. If there is fat anywhere else my body burns it first.. It's a bit cruel but it will be that much more awesome when your belly does go away.. and it will. You have been doing great so far.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    fat will just go in whatever order it wants too, it sucks, but its life
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I know lots of guys who gain and lose weight and never change pants size. They don't realize it, but the place they wear their pants just goes up or down. You could also take before and after pictures, so you can see how the body is changing. But obviously, once you get your BF% below 18% or so, your gut will be shrinking.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Stomach.. always last.. Always.
  • lavaughan69
    lavaughan69 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My stomach is the last place I lose. I seem to actually lose more from my back and the area above my knee but not as high as my thighs. I still have a little belly below the belly button and I may never lose that.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    pictures! my stomach still has the majority of my weight as well. and i pray god when i go to slepp at night that he can start taking from the stomach. true story. my hips down are fine. but i am "apple" shape and carry the majority of my weight up top. i can see with pictures its going down. but i cant wait for more to come off the top.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Stomach.. always last.. Always.
    This. :sad: