Not Enough Calories?

Options
So, I have been eating 1200 calories since Dec 26 and am now not losing any weight. I workout at least 5 days a week for at least 45 min. It's either Kickboxing, Spin bike, run/walk and then weights. My HRM shows on average 300 calories each session. I am wondering if I am not eating enough calories. One, my stomach is growling a lot more now lol. I am most always under my calorie intake. And no loss in almost 2 weeks :(

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What does your diary look like? Do you eat your exercise calories? How many pounds are you trying to lose? How tall are you?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Two week stalls happen sometimes and there's not always a good reason for them. It could be something as simple as some extra water weight from you exercise program masking whatever fat loss is happening.

That said, assuming your 1200 calories are accurate (I know we harp on it around here, but are you using a food scale yet?) then I would worry that yes, you may be undereating. It may not be stalling your weight loss, but you do risk losing more muscle.

Are you logging your exercise and eating back any of the earned calories?

Do you have your goal set to lose two pounds a week (most people set it to the most aggressive goal the site will allow)? With less than 20 pounds to lose now you should consider resetting it to lose 1 pound a week at the most.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What does your diary look like? Do you eat your exercise calories? How many pounds are you trying to lose? How tall are you?
  • mattgrenier9
    mattgrenier9 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Definitely increase your calories a little, your metabolism is probably use to the small amount of calories you have been consuming, also I recommend opening up your food Diary because then everyone can get a better idea of what you put into your body. One last thing you need to eat more than 1200 Cal if you are working out regularly or the days you do work out
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    So, I have been eating 1200 calories since Dec 26 and am now not losing any weight. I workout at least 5 days a week for at least 45 min. It's either Kickboxing, Spin bike, run/walk and then weights. My HRM shows on average 300 calories each session. I am wondering if I am not eating enough calories. One, my stomach is growling a lot more now lol. I am most always under my calorie intake. And no loss in almost 2 weeks :(

Any suggestions?

Are you "netting" 1200 calories ....or just eating 1200 calories?

Netting 1200 calories is how MPF is designed.....this means you eat 1200+300 (exercise calories).....or 1500 calories total.

Hunger is not the best indicator for "do I need more nourishment?" Some dieters can eat lots of fiberous (low cal/high volume) food and/or drink lots of water & keep a full stomach.

The reason MFP gives you 1200 calories NET.....is because you put in a weekly weight loss goal.....& MFP did the math. It's not really a statement about healthy weight loss....BTW .....1200 net is MFP's lowest possible number.

To see if you should be eating more look up your BMR ......http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

THIS is as low as you should go
  • Livin4Bliss
    Livin4Bliss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same exact scenario. I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and have lost ZERO in these last 2 weeks. I haven't done anything different: same weekly net calories and the gym 5 days a week. And NO I dont see a difference in my clothes. It seems to early to plateau, right? I started Cross Fit a few days ago in hopes by trying something new it will help. My net calorie goal is 1338. So, if I work out and burn 600 calories then i can eat up to 1938. is that right? But I usually eat under 1338 regardless of the workout and get the message at least twice a week that I am "eating too few calories". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same exact scenario. I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and have lost ZERO in these last 2 weeks. I haven't done anything different: same weekly net calories and the gym 5 days a week. And NO I dont see a difference in my clothes. It seems to early to plateau, right? I started Cross Fit a few days ago in hopes by trying something new it will help. My net calorie goal is 1338. So, if I work out and burn 600 calories then i can eat up to 1938. is that right? But I usually eat under 1338 regardless of the workout and get the message at least twice a week that I am "eating too few calories". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Eating 1338 & exercising for 600 is like giving your body 738 calories. These are the calories your body has available for everyday function....heart, lungs, kidneys, etc. When your body doesn't get enough nourishment it makes choices.....nourish the heart or nourish existing muscle mass.....your body chooses the heart (of course).

The problem with VLC (very low calorie) diets it you will lose weight.....but a fair amount will be lean muscle mass. A moderate weight loss goal (with protein & strength training) will allow you to keep the most muscle possible.

How to eat more........calorie dense foods......nuts, nut butters, olive oil, avocado, cheese, seeds. Think of your protein allowance as a minimum goal.

Just make sure you have a good handle on the number of calories burned for workouts....MFP & machines are "generous."
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same exact scenario. I lost 10 lbs in the first 2 weeks, and have lost ZERO in these last 2 weeks.

a healthy weight loss is about 1lb/week so you have lost 10 weeks worth of loss in 2..whats the prob
    I haven't done anything different: same weekly net calories and the gym 5 days a week. And NO I dont see a difference in my clothes. It seems to early to plateau, right?

No, maybe its due to the big loss, or overestimating calorie burn or underestimating calorie intake
    I started Cross Fit a few days ago in hopes by trying something new it will help. My net calorie goal is 1338. So, if I work out and burn 600 calories then i can eat up to 1938. is that right?

The way MFP is set up you eat back you exercise calories so YES. but you may opt to start off at 50% (eaten back) for over estimating purposes if you want, its up to you.
    But I usually eat under 1338 regardless of the workout and get the message at least twice a week that I am "eating too few calories". Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!!

Eat! :flowerforyou:
  • sydkel29
    sydkel29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2. (short lol) And I am always under my calorie goal. I am usually around 200-300 under my goal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Putting it altogether....

- 1200 calorie goal
    - usually 200-300 calories under goal
    - plus 300 calories exercise

Am I understanding correctly?
  • sydkel29
    Options
    I am using my calories that I burn towards my goal. So, if I had 1200 to begin with and burned 400 calories I make sure I am still under the 1600 that I am now allowed. Is this not correct?
  • sydkel29
    Options
    I will open my journal as well. I have allowed myself cheats here and there and you will see my bad days as well. But, I usually try to work out more on those days.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not about correct or not (yet), just clarifying what you're trying to say. So is it more like...

- 1200 calorie goal
    - 300 calories exercise, added to the goal, so 1500 calories
    - but usually 100-200 calories under, so typical day ends up being 1400-1500 calories
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Since you are eating exercise cals back, do you eat 100% (or close to)? How do you estimate the burn?
  • sydkel29
    Options
    I have opened up my diary to see if that can help some of you help me. I also rely only on my HRM. I do not go by any calories burned from the machines I use. I know I am losing inches but just figured I would have lost a few more lbs by now. I want to be under 150 so bad :)
  • sydkel29
    Options
    I usually have 200-300 calories left in my day. That is with my goal - intake + excercise. I only use my HRM to get a calorie count
  • sydkel29
    Options
    Yes that is correct. Now since you said that, should I stick to the 1200 instead of counting on the exercise calories to give me more food?
  • beccaleanne94
    Options
    im really confused
    ive just started dieting because i wanna lose weight for summer and ive been eating around 1200 cals a day but working off between 600 and 700 usually, is that wrong or?

im around 20stone and 6'2"
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have opened up my diary to see if that can help some of you help me. I also rely only on my HRM. I do not go by any calories burned from the machines I use. I know I am losing inches but just figured I would have lost a few more lbs by now. I want to be under 150 so bad :)

Your diary does not appear to be open yet. To set it so we can see it go to Settings > Diary Settings > Public
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stick to the 1200, you should still eat exercise calories back but now you need to figure out what %. Since caloric burns aren't an exact science, most eat back only a certain percent. Starting around 75-80% of them and adjusting from there is usually a good place to start. With that said, are you weighing and measuring your intake?