should eating poorly be used as an excuse not to exercise?

Lets say I didn't eat well today should that stop me from exercising tonight? I used this excuse often, feel like I will never get started back up! Help me....

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    No, it shouldn't.

I don't even understand how to infer that it "should".
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Being lazy on your diet should not compel you to be lazy in general.

Rigger
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Ah, this is like the "I went over my target calories, so I might as well eat a gallon of ice cream" situation.

You want to be close to the target. If you miss, that's ok. But closer is better. It's not an "all or nothing" situation.

Exercise is actually a good way to close the gap between intake and target calories when you go over. So if you overeat, you should be more inclined to exercise, not less.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    i use this excuse when i eat poorly and i dont FEEL well later enough to exercise. Like if my stomach hurts. Otherwise, no
  • sassymc86
    sassymc86 Posts: 91 Member
    DEFINITELY NOT! should inspire you to get off your bum and burn of some damage done! atleast your fitness levels may improve even if your waist line doesn't!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Lets say I didn't eat well today should that stop me from exercising tonight? I used this excuse often, feel like I will never get started back up! Help me....

No, but I did it this weekend. I've only starting exercising a month ago. Right now, it's a forward progress mind-set and when I screw up one aspect it affects the other aspect, BUT I intend to remedy that ASAP. Any forward step SHOULD be noteworthy. It's not all, or nothing, and shouldn't be treated as such.

Having said that, it's easy to fall into that trap. We have to find what motivates us to carry on and push through.

Nothing changes if nothing changes, y'know?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    One has nothing to do with the other...nutrition and fitness are two completely different things that happen to work together in concert to make you a better and healthier you. Having a crappy nutrition day has no bearing on whether you should exercise...actually, maybe it does...maybe it makes that exercise that much more important. You can't out exercise a bad diet, but I guess you could mitigate damage.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 569 Member

Why on earth would you do that??? If anything, eating poorly is a better reason to ramp up the exercise. In the end, it is nothing but what you said...an excuse.

Get back to it, chick!
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Why would you use that as an excuse, when you can burn it off???
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Only if you ate something that makes you sick to your stomach and you're afraid you're going to vomit.
  • KMS3372
    KMS3372 Posts: 2 Member
    thank you all for the positive feed back! I know the right answer just needed a shove... thanks again!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Uh, no. It's a terrible excuse. It doesn't even make sense. It makes the opposite of sense.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    If anything it should press you to exercise more often and with higher intensity to make up for eating junk.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    If you eat poorly you need to step up the exercise and not have to worry about it :) Work it to fit your calorie deficit!
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member

I don't even understand this question. Why would eating poorly, by with I assume you mean not with optimal nutrition, affect anything else you do that day? So not eating right gets you out of stuff?

Try applying this excuse to other things you need to do.

"I can't come in to work today, I had a Big Mac and fries so the day is a total loss"

"I had nothing but frozen waffles for dinner, that's why I didn't do my homework."

"Darn it I didn't get enough fiber today, I guess I won't go to bed on time."

"I forgot to eat my vegetables so there's no point taking out the trash."

"I had too much chocolate, so I guess I WON'T go to the gym."

Screwing up one thing is not license to screw up everything else. This isn't just an excuse, it's the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard for anything. Ever.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    You know you'll have great fuel for a workout, so go even longer!

And really, it's a 'dieting' mentality to do what you are talking about. If exercise is now part of your lifestyle, you don't quit because you ate more than usual one day. Of course not.
  • If anything, you should exercise more. Though I've been known to skip a run if I feel dehydrated and/or hungover.
  • In short, no.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Absolutely not! It should be more motivation to work out.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i think it's a legit excuse if the results are diarrhea.