Recovering anorexic

Options
2»

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    So that's about what I eat in a day, is it bad guys? I try to snack on nutrient rich foods like trail mix.... but it's not enough to repair my body?

Have you consulted with any health professionals ie: doctors, dieticians, eating disorder therapists? The food you listed is good and healthy but kind of low on calories and not sure of your age, height, current weight? How were you eating before you decided to make a change? I think you need to try and add more calories to your daily intake - I am not a health professional. This is a serious issue and you really should try and get some professional help with it. I tried to view your food diary and went through 3 days and nothing is entered :(
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Anna, I just read your previous threads. Ankle swelling is a sign of severely progressed anorexia. Another physical symptom that can occur around the same stage of progression is fluid build-up around the heart cavity that can lead to cardiac arrest.

I am not a doctor and I've never met you. I cannot tell you that you are anorexic, that your ankle swelling is related to your dietary restriction, or that you are at risk for more complications. No one on this site can tell you that. The 2 sentences above are just facts. In my opinion, you would be better of talking to a professional who can give you personalized advice and care. You can start wherever you're most comfortable - a family doctor, a therapist, a school counselor. Find someone you can open up to in real life rather than on a computer screen.
  • paintthinnr
    Options
    First off, good for you. I have been there and know how hard it is. How much you should eat really depends on how much you have been eating recently if you are working on recovery. There is a particular way of refeeding after prolonged anorexia. Youreatopia.com has some helpful information on recovery meal plans, but you should be under the care of a physician. There can be a certain amount of shock from eating again depending on your medical state. If you are willing to recover at home, a doc or nutritionist can give you the best guidelines. I think you are doing great so far and even though I don't know you, I'm really proud of you. I promise it's worth it!
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Please ask for help from a professional! Everyone is different and it is nearly impossible to get the help you need from anonymous people on the internet who only know little bits and pieces. You are more than welcome to add me and I will be happy to encourage and support you( if you seek help and want to get better).
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    So that's about what I eat in a day, is it bad guys? I try to snack on nutrient rich foods like trail mix.... but it's not enough to repair my body?

You need professional help to avoid refeeding syndrome. Please get some.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Seek help. And not the kind you get on an internet forum.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I agree with 'March7' - you need to go through recovery with PROFESSIONALS...not internet forum advice.

I too suffer from ana, and thought I could 'do it at home'. Are you kidding me? There is no way I would have forced myself to eat the amount one should be eating to recover your body to a healthy weight and function.

Once i finally accepted going into hospital (which was most of last year), I was given 3000-4000 calories to eat in a typical day. Do you actually think you can do that at home??

Suck it up, and seek medical advice and have someone carefully (again...professional) monitor your progress.

I'm still struggling, but am working through a bunch of stuff.

Good luck to you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    GET PROFESSIONAL HELP.
  • Whambam087
    Options
    Please get properly educated on the basics of nutrition because you seem to have no knowledge. A professional could help point you in the right direction
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You need too see a nutritionists, I'm not just saying that. When recovering your body you are also expanding your stomach. Your stomach shrinks with minimal food and you have too slowly introduce food.
    For instance the holocaust. A majority of people who survived the camps died after because they consumed to much food at a time that their bodies couldn't not handle it. Recovering from anorexia is not something you do at home. You need to get some kind of guidance.

I highly recommend treatment, group therapies help tremendously once you're ready for them.
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Having recovered from 3 years of anorexia myself, I'd be happy to talk to you about recovery if you ever feel alone or worried about it, just send me a PM. I know how life-consuming the problem is!

Does your family know about your problem, or have you talked to them about it? They can be a great help when you are unsure of whether you've eaten too little, or feel you are still hungry but are denying yourself more food - I often found that just by someone I knew and trusted replying to my question of "is it ok if I eat this?" with "yes, do it" it made things a little easier. If you don't have close family, do you have any friends you could talk to? If not, then perhaps going to a dedicated re-feeding place might be a good option (though I didn't do that, so I can't say for sure).

People say "go see a doctor, you can't do it by yourself". I saw people in the NHS to try to get help, and I'm still "on the waiting list" and ended up recovering at home, so it's not impossible. It is good to get professional advice, but YOU need to be ready to recover. Try to step back and see how much devastation this is taking on your body, and probably how you interact with people around you. Again, I found that by saying my anorexia was a demon sitting on my shoulder, I used to try to tell it (not very politely, mind you!) to p*** off when I felt thoughts creeping in. It might help you see the anorexic thoughts as not-you and help you ignore them, and hopefully conquer them with time!

Last thing - recovery hurts. I know people say you have to eat "the right things" but don't be afraid to eat "the wrong things" too. When I was recovering, I ate mostly cake, ice cream, etc (along with regular meals), because the cravings came after having denied them for so long. DON'T deny the cravings, as that may be taken in your mind as "letting anorexia win this round". There will be times when you're sad and feel like you can't take it, but it is WORTH IT in the end.
    A note about the "recovery hurts" part that I said - when I began to gain weight, my body took on a lot of water weight, which lasted a fair few weeks - this felt sore and achy, and can be perceived as "oh my gawd I have ballooned!" - ignore it and keep soldiering on, once you get past that bloating bit, you really feel your mind and body starting to heal!
    (I think the water weight is due to swelling as your body begins to repair, a bit like when you first start weight training, you get a bit of inflammation).

Once again, feel free to contact me with any questions, any time, and I wish you all the best in your recovery x
  • askyej2010
    Options
    Having recovered from 3 years of anorexia myself, I'd be happy to talk to you about recovery if you ever feel alone or worried about it, just send me a PM. I know how life-consuming the problem is!

Does your family know about your problem, or have you talked to them about it? They can be a great help when you are unsure of whether you've eaten too little, or feel you are still hungry but are denying yourself more food - I often found that just by someone I knew and trusted replying to my question of "is it ok if I eat this?" with "yes, do it" it made things a little easier. If you don't have close family, do you have any friends you could talk to? If not, then perhaps going to a dedicated re-feeding place might be a good option (though I didn't do that, so I can't say for sure).

People say "go see a doctor, you can't do it by yourself". I saw people in the NHS to try to get help, and I'm still "on the waiting list" and ended up recovering at home, so it's not impossible. It is good to get professional advice, but YOU need to be ready to recover. Try to step back and see how much devastation this is taking on your body, and probably how you interact with people around you. Again, I found that by saying my anorexia was a demon sitting on my shoulder, I used to try to tell it (not very politely, mind you!) to p*** off when I felt thoughts creeping in. It might help you see the anorexic thoughts as not-you and help you ignore them, and hopefully conquer them with time!

Last thing - recovery hurts. I know people say you have to eat "the right things" but don't be afraid to eat "the wrong things" too. When I was recovering, I ate mostly cake, ice cream, etc (along with regular meals), because the cravings came after having denied them for so long. DON'T deny the cravings, as that may be taken in your mind as "letting anorexia win this round". There will be times when you're sad and feel like you can't take it, but it is WORTH IT in the end.
    A note about the "recovery hurts" part that I said - when I began to gain weight, my body took on a lot of water weight, which lasted a fair few weeks - this felt sore and achy, and can be perceived as "oh my gawd I have ballooned!" - ignore it and keep soldiering on, once you get past that bloating bit, you really feel your mind and body starting to heal!
    (I think the water weight is due to swelling as your body begins to repair, a bit like when you first start weight training, you get a bit of inflammation).

Once again, feel free to contact me with any questions, any time, and I wish you all the best in your recovery x

Love this. Thank you for offering to support her instead of...well, you know. You rock!
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am also recovering at the moment, luckily my case was caught on to pretty quickly and it doesn't look like I have done any permanent damage. My dietitian has gradually increased my food so that I found it easier (but not easy!) mentally. Just to give you an idea, I am at approx 2500kcal a day at the moment (with a supplement to help me get there), and eating back exercise calories. There is no rule that says you have to eat unhealthy foods to get to a high calorie goal, and it sounds like you have the right idea with the trail mix if that's how you want to do it :smile:. That said, don't be afraid to eat foods you love - as others have said, you can't eat too much at the moment. Eventually if there are foods that you love that you have been denying yourself, it's probably a good idea to challenge yourself to eat them again. You don't have to eat them all the time, just on the odd occasion if that's what you want to do. I don't know exactly what you will need, I am only going on my own experience, and you could easily need much more food than what I am having. I have gained weight slowly, and I was shocked by how much food it really took. I am still technically underweight, and this amount of food may need to increase in the future. I don't mean to freak you out, I know that when I started recovery the thought of eating even 1000 calories a day seemed ridiculous and really scary. I know that it's really hard to fight the mindset and recover, but I can honestly say I am feeling so much better than I was, and have managed to gain back some muscle and I honestly think that I look better for it. Good Luck! :heart: