I'm sold on getting FITBIT????

Options
I want something that will count my calories burned for the day. I also do Leslie Sansone videos which are walking towards health. I wouldn't be doing much other than stairs, walking, and videos (walking with arm movements) for the next couple of months. I can only imagine joining a gym in the summer.. and having time to do it... with the kids after school activities, and homework... I'm home. I know there is plenty I can do without a gym membership.
I also am stuck at a desk and in a car about 9-10 hours a day... So... I think the fit bit will be great for me...

Which one??????????????? And why????????

Replies

• blinkfink182
    blinkfink182 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I got the FitBit Force for Christmas and I absolutely love it. The only downside is that the FitBit will be useless as far as tracking anything beyond walking/running, but that sounds like all you'll be doing at this point. As far as which FitBit, I wanted the Force because I wanted an actual display for replacing a watch on my wrist, as well as being able to actively check on how my stats are looking for the day. It works fantastic. It worked so well, and I was so happy with it, that I bought their wireless scale (the Aria) as well, and that, while being a pain for me to setup, is awesome as well. Hope that helps!
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If you...

-want the cheapest one, and don't care about tracking flights of stairs, get the Zip.
    -are afraid of losing it, get either the Force or the Flex (or the Zip, I guess).
    -want to be able to wear it on your wrist, get the Force or the Flex.
    -want to wear it on your wrist and be able to see the stats, get the Force.
    -want the most accurate tracker, get the One.
    -don't want to wear it on your wrist, and care about tracking flights of stairs, get the One.

YMMV.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and recommend it. It does everything and clips on to your pants or in a pocket. It's not seen by the world like the wristbands are (sometimes you just don't want it to be visible!).
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I am interested in getting a fitbit as well. I am leaning towards the force because of the watch functionality...I should be at my goal by summer and I am currently wearing a pedometer, but it is bulky and I don't want to stop wearing the pedometer once I reach my goal. The less reasons for me to ditch it the better.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit. I had an Ultra and now have a One. Aside from getting the stats you are looking for - having the device on you and being able to check it is just another thing to help remind you and keep you motivated.

I need all those reminders.
  • danaberge
    danaberge Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I was thinking the wristband might be annoying since i'm on the laptop computer all day (plus I see a lot of people) I work sales!! UGH.

I'm def. going to be buying myself the ONE!! I like that I can clip it on my sports bra also.. when i'm doing my walking videos at home.

Thanks!!!!
  • Tomahawk3Niner
    Options
    I got the FitBit Force for Christmas and I absolutely love it. The only downside is that the FitBit will be useless as far as tracking anything beyond walking/running, but that sounds like all you'll be doing at this point. As far as which FitBit, I wanted the Force because I wanted an actual display for replacing a watch on my wrist, as well as being able to actively check on how my stats are looking for the day. It works fantastic. It worked so well, and I was so happy with it, that I bought their wireless scale (the Aria) as well, and that, while being a pain for me to setup, is awesome as well. Hope that helps!
    Re: the downside/useless bit. That is not entirely the case. It is true it'll only automatically collect step based movements and log them, but you can log into your dashboard and log any exercise to it.

I've found that you'll pretty much want to log all your exercise in either MFP or Fitbit Dashboard but not both. If you do both, wonky things start happening to your numbers and you'll get false calories burned in MFP. (for me it seems to work best by logging all my activities in Fitbit and letting it sync to MFP in one lump of exercise calories earned back. It seems to be most accurate -- though I am testing other methods)
  • star9401
    star9401 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was not sure of my commitment level so I got the cheapest one, the Fitbit Zip. I also cannot wear a watch because it hate it when it catches on my laptop or keyboard and I work in sales and talk to a lot of people and didn't want to have to discuss it with every customer. I don't need to track sleep and stuff, I already know I don't get enough and I didn't need the vibrate alarm.

I have Myfitnesspal on my phone and the fitbit app as well. After finding out how to get them synced they work well together. So far I LOVE the Zip, it is small and does the adjustment to my calories in myfitness pal. To see my progress on my phone (Android) you just tap the face of the Zip and open the app and they sync to update. I found if I do a workout video instead of my walk it does not record well, so I just take it off and add manual exercise in on the >>FITBIT<< website (have not figured out how to do a manual adj from the Fitbit App), if you add anything into Myfitnesspal it just completely zeros out the fit bit and overrides it for the day and you don't get Mims or whatever on the fitbit. Adding Exercise to Fitbit does not post in your conversation stream in myfitness pal, so you have to just type 'I did this' if your friends are cheering you on. Tradeoff I guess. The Zip also has a display that you tap and it rotates through steps, distance, time, calories burned AND there is a little face like :P or :) or :D to let you know how you are doing for the day. Don't rule out the inexpensive Zip!!
  • sydkel29
    sydkel29 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I will say I had this one. I also used cardio trainer as it was GPS. I now have the Polar FT60 (HRM) and love it more than any of them. I use it for accurate calories burned. MFP is not accurate. I found that Fitbit was not as accurate as I thought. Just my opinion. If you are looking for a more accurate way to see how many calories you burn, I would go the HRM route.
  • capricorn2721
    capricorn2721 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Have had the Ultra for ages. Love it. Just have to remember to wear it.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit One!! I clip to my waist or pocket, and off I go. Like you, I spend a lot of time on the computer, and a wristband would have annoyed me (I usually take my watch off at work, and forget it).

Also, the One tends to be more accurate, especially if you clip it close to your torso. The flex/force may inaccurately log steps if you're swinging your arms but not walking, or not log steps if your arms are still (like pushing a grocery cart)

Enjoy your fitbit!!
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wear Flex on my ankle. Less change of random arm movements counting as steps.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit One and love it. I wanted something inconspicuous that would capture stairs and steps and it fits the bill. The wrist ones just didn't seem like they would fit any style of attire, while I can always find a place to hide my One.

A couple of months after the FitBit I bought an HRM. For walking, I've compared the calories burned and they are usually within about 10% of each other, which isn't bad. Both are much lower than the calories that MFP reports. I use the HRM for other activities that the FitBit doesn't capture like swimming.

I also have found the daily stairs and step goals motivating. I find myself going out of the way to walk further and meet that goal.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One for over a year and love it! It's great for those days when my only workouts are my long walks. Would definitely recommend getting one, but as someone pointed out, look into which Fitbit works best for what you want/need and your lifestyle.

Have fun!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and don't mind wearing it on my writs at all. I love it!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I got the One before the Flex or the Force were out and if I had to buy another I'd buy the One again. People have all said to clip to pants or pocket but being a woman has it's advantages: I clip mine to my bra. I usually put it right in the front middle, between the cups. No one else can see it and it's completely secure. I've had mine now for 13 months and I've never lost it. It even survived being chewed by my puppy, although I did have to buy a new silicon clip for it!
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have the One, mainly because I do most of my walking pushing my toddlers in the stroller so the arm band ones would be useless with my arms staying still! Although I do love that I can just clip it into my bra and forget about it for the day if I want to.

A few people said that I might put it through the wash etc but I pretty much have the wrist band on to track sleep at night and then take that off to get in the shower, when I get out it goes in the holder and onto my bra and then reverse scenario at night.

I love it so much, it really motivates me to move more than I used to. Being a wee tad competitive the leaderboard is total incentive for me each day. I see a friend just a few hundred steps again and off we go outside to run around so I can catch up.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have the force and I LOVE IT! It really motivates me to walk more! Plus I was grossly overestimating my TDEE when I don't go to the gym!
  • fitformidlife
    Options
    I recommend the One or the Flex. I've had Fitbits since the first model and loved my One because of the display. Unfortunately, I often forgot to put it on. That's the thing that sold me on the Flex, since I just wear it 24.7. I love that it's waterproof so I can wear it in the shower. That's the main thing that kept me from getting a Force, as I'd have to take it off for showering and would forget it like I did the One.
  • vancitychic
    vancitychic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit one last year and i love it! i wear it on my bra because I hate having to wear things on my wrist. also i would have to remove it to do my job or to sleep

i also lost my first one when shopping. i had an email receipt from apple and when i emailed fitbit trying to order another bit and holder, they sent me a whole new box with all the accessories for FREE! i was blown away and cannot rave enough about them.