Fat and excercising - is it so odd

Options
A big part of my losing weight has been walking. My daughter and I do in it in our lunch break. I am 295lbs but dont look quite that heavy - but obviously I am large.

So today in our gym stuff we started walking. We did 2.6 miles in 45 mins. which I was really pleased with. But ..... some people are just so inconsiderate. Obviously I am trying to sort my weight out or I wouldn't be excercising. Why is that funny. Just cos a fat women is marching past water bottle in hand doesn't mean that its fine to nudge the women your sitting next too and laugh behind your hands

Still I just walked right up to them and said its ok to laugh, go ahead and walked off - which made me laugh. Hopefully they will be out there on their cigerette break when I march past in a few months a lot smaller than I am now.

Replies

• johnthefatman
    Options
    You tell 'em - cheeky %^&(*&'s

Respect
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    ahhh don't pay attention to little girls who don't know squat! Life(karma) will take care of them! Keep doing YOUR thing!!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    some people just amaze me!
    You work you butt off 'literally' and give them something to talk about!!! =) That will sure give you something to giggle about!!
  • hplvt
    hplvt Posts: 62
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU! What a great way to handle that, you're right, you are doing something for your own good, and they can just stand on the sidelines and be a waste of space- you are facing your demons :flowerforyou:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... *you* were moving... *they* were smoking cigarettes... looks like you are the healthier one to me!

2.6 miles in 45 minutes is great and definitely a workout! Especially when you are "larger" and starting from nothing (and I am saying that as someone in the same situation as you so please don't take that the wrong way!)

I'd want to walk over and say, "At least I'm moving!" or some comment about how bad cigarettes are for you. I wouldn't do it but I'd sure want to!
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Lesley, The other ladies at my work decided they wanted to do a contest to see who could lose 20 lbs first. I overheard them chattering about it and said, "I'd like to get in on that." I had just adopted my dog Willow (June 25th), and so I was anxious to get started and this seemed like a great motivation to get me going. They looked at me and laughed (I was 197 lbs at the time and they are like 150 - 160), but they said okay. The day of the first check in - the person who was supposed to bring the scale conveniently forgot. I weighed in at the nurses office instead and had already reduced my weight by 5 lbs. The 2nd week, I went to check in and she had forgotten the scale again, but assured me she would have it again 2 days later (I of course had a training that I had to attend that day and would not be at work all day), so again I weighed in at nursing and had lost another 4 lbs. As I saw the others on campus off and on, they would make comments about how they had relapsed, hadn't made "much" progress, etc. Finally, I realized that I was "determined" to lose the weight - despite any prize that they might eventually come up with, and even if they chose not to follow through, I was going to do it for me. So, here I am - 2 1/2 months later - down 26 - 28 lbs from that first day, and I am still decreasing my weight and they are still complaining that they "need" to lose weight. Really? Who would have guessed? Those who laugh at us who are sincerely committed to doing this - reaching our goals - need to look in the mirror. Keep up the good work and don't let the big mouths of those with small minds have a negative impact on you. They aren't worth it. Keep up the great work.

Vickie
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    I was ok but it annoyed me to think that if I was someone who would be upset but it they could make you give up.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Don't let small minds and hearts squash your drive to exercise! You are doing fantastic, Lesleyuk!! I'm a good sized gal myself, but built big, so I don't show all of my weight as well, and I must look a sight doing martial arts, but who cares! I love it and it makes me feel good and I'm getting pretty good at it too. I guess you have to feel bad for two bittys that have nothing better to do than point and laugh, maybe that's why they just sit on a bench, if you do nothing no one has anything to point and laugh at, but you also aren't enjoying life if you're not participating in it actively. So, live life and do all that you want as though no one is watching and the heck with them if they are!!
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    cigarettes....at the gym....seriously? People laugh or try to hinder your progress because of THEIR insecurities. Can't wait to hear about their faces when you are held up as one of your gym's "success stories". You go girl!
  • vanillagirl86
    vanillagirl86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wow some people are so rude.
  • Buccinator
    Options
    It apparently is the craziest thing in the world to see a big person exercising. A "friend" of mine on Facebook, commented on my status. This "friend" LOVES the show The Biggest Loser. My status was about how I'm starting 30 Day Shred. "You're starting 30 Day Shred? You can't." Uhm, yeah, I can. Kinda like I've been walking four miles in an hour. How can you like The Biggest Loser so much but be against someone who needs to lose weight losing weight?!
  • shannie_134
    Options
    Just think Lesley in a few months you will have lost the weight look amazing and they will still smell of stale *kitten*,have bad breath,*kitten* stained teeth so who will have the last laugh xxx
  • BatCola
    BatCola Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    that's me... built well enough to hide it... but still wanting to lose.