p90x equipment question!

Options
So my P90x 90-day Beach-body Dvds came in the mail today and I'm excited to start it :happy: ... Only thing is, I didn't realize that I'll need equipment to use along with the program. Has anyone ever used P90X before? Can I get away with not having equipment at all?? Or I was thinking I could purchase SOME of the required equipment like the resistance bands and dumb bells only and nix everything else.... I guess I'm being a bit of a cheapskate. It's just that equipment can be pricey and I don't want to buy all this expensive equipment if It's not absolutely necessary! Help!

Thanks guys!

Replies

• Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands and dumbells (if they're the right weights) are enough, if you're okay with doing Yoga without a mat, and lying on the floor while doing Ab Ripper X. Basketball shoes, or cross training shoes with a thick sole are probably a good idea as well, due to the jumping around you'll be doing with Plyometrics.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    So my P90x 90-day Beach-body Dvds came in the mail today and I'm excited to start it :happy: ... Only thing is, I didn't realize that I'll need equipment to use along with the program. Has anyone ever used P90X before? Can I get away with not having equipment at all?? Or I was thinking I could purchase SOME of the required equipment like the resistance bands and dumb bells only and nix everything else.... I guess I'm being a bit of a cheapskate. It's just that equipment can be pricey and I don't want to buy all this expensive equipment if It's not absolutely necessary! Help!

Thanks guys!
    P90X only requires 3 equipments:
    -dumbbells ,
    -pull up bars,
    -yoga mat

Dumbbells can be substituted with resistance bands most of the times. Usually there is one person on the DVD which uses bands as an alternative to dumbbells. However , you get better result if you buy some dumbbells. ( do NOT buy tiny 3 lb ones ). Take a look at kijiji or craiglist , those things can be really cheap, if you are not keen on getting fancy vinyl coated colored ones.

Pull up bar exercises also can be substituted by resistance bands. In fact most women who just start strength training and/or overweight not even close to do pull-ups/chin ups and they use resistance band even if they have pull up bars.

If you budget is really tight, just get a couple of resistance bands.
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I only had a set of resistance bands.
    I used them in place of the dumbbells and the pull-up bar. Worked pretty well for me for quite a while until I bought some dumbbells.

I still don't have a pull-up bar, nor do I think I need one.
  • bekah818
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice. I have no problem purchasing dumbbells and resistance bands. I guess I'll nix the pull up bar, yoga mat, and whatever else and just stick with the dumbbells and resistance bands . I'll be working out in my living room which has carpet, so maybe I won't need a mat.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice. I have no problem purchasing dumbbells and resistance bands. I guess I'll nix the pull up bar, yoga mat, and whatever else and just stick with the dumbbells and resistance bands . I'll be working out in my living room which has carpet, so maybe I won't need a mat.
    If you have carper, you can skip the yoga mat easily. If my kid are sleeping , I workout in our carpeted bedroom and I do not bother with the yoga mat. I only really use it when I work out in our unfinished basement concrete floor, because that is hard surface and cold too.
  • bekah818
    Options
    Gotcha :) thanks!