Student Project on Omar Khadr

Options
whatthedeuce23
whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
I am a student in my final year at King’s University in Edmonton. I am doing an individual project in Drama this semester; I will write a one-act play-script based on interviews with a wide range of people who have had some interaction with the case of Omar Khadr.

I am using The Laramie Project as the model for my work. The Laramie Project is a play by Moisés Kaufman and members of the Tectonic Theater Project. It draws on hundreds of interviews conducted by the theatre company with inhabitants of Laramie, Wyoming, company members' own journal entries, and published news reports (Wikipedia). My finished project will take the form of a series of audience-address monologues with actors portraying the interview subjects. The character speeches will be taken from quotations from the interviews or excerpts from other found texts to portray a variety of perspectives. The project will culminate in a public reading of the new script by drama students at King’s, though once completed there is potential to publish the work.

I am interested in this project for many reasons, and am excited to start working on it. I strive to make a sincere attempt to create something objective about someone who is at the centre of a very real, polarizing and evolving issue. I intend to handle this project with grace and professionalism. I recognize I will be talking to a variety of people with very differing viewpoints in an attempt to explore the issues surrounding Omar and their effect on Western society over the past decade.

I would be very interested in talking to you about Omar Khadr - your thoughts, impressions, or anything you may have to say on the subject. If you are interested in the project please PM me.

Taylor