Acceptable treats?

Options
Hey all, first post! Here's where I'm at:

OW: 93kg
CW: 91kg
GW: 70kg

So, I grew up with moderate to serious asthma, recently had a gold standard asthma assessment (methicholine challenge) and it seems my asthma is nothing like what almost killed me when I was younger (almost 20 years ago). Since 3 weeks ago, I've started eating healthily, drinking less, exercising more.

I walk between 5 and 10 km a day, and 2-3 times a week I'm running 5km, with a 25km walk about every other weekend, so I'm burning off a lot of calories. As such, I'm often finding myself at 500+ calories under my goal (set at 0.75kg / 1.5lb per week), so am I being stupid to have a peanut butter kit kat chunky and a glass of wine on those days?

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If it works in your calorie deficit and you enjoy them, do it! You are not being stupid at all:flowerforyou:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If your asthma isn't triggered by anything you're eating then it looks pretty good to me
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,905 Member
    Options
    It's only stupid if you won't share! :laugh:
  • richardbigg
    Options
    You have to reward yourself, but in moderation. I had a hard day of working out and yes, I'm going to have a glass of red wine tonight. After I lost my first 10 pounds, I treated myself to a burger that was 1700 calories, which put me 500 calories for the day. You have to reward your success, just don't do it every day. My next reward comes when I lose another 5 pounds; I'm thinking hot wings and beer.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I had chocolate last night and still came in under my goal. And I woke up to a 1.6 lb loss (sporadic weighing so who knows when it really disappeared but the point is, the chocolate didn't ruin it. ) And I did no exercise yesterday or the day before.
  • doctorwalrus
    Options
    If your asthma isn't triggered by anything you're eating then it looks pretty good to me

Cheers - yeah exercise and cold air are the only triggers (they go together this time of year), so running from a low level of fitness is agonising, but I'm just knuckling down and getting on with it. Evening meals are way healthier than they look, mostly vegetables, and lean meat.

I am probably going to have to try to cut out peanut butter kit cat chunkies at some point though...
  • tgsoe
    tgsoe Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was in the same predicament yesterday when I received notification from the App that I had not consumed enough calories and basically faced my metabolism slowing down, and my body going into starvation mode and grasping onto that chunk like there is no tomorrow.

RaspberryKeyt is right that if you are under your goal and you enjoy them - treat yourself. I am a massive 'wino', and have limited myself (as of Monday) to a couple of glasses on a Saturday (my most active day). My partner is a massive chocolate fiend - so with our two weaknesses together - we could get in trouble.

I guess it depends on the type of calories you want to consume. I know, on this forum, I will be smashed for saying that by all the 'calories are calories - there is no difference' advocates out there. And in part, I agree on the "Input vs Output" scale of things. However, I now make cacao nut clusters or the likes and freeze them for those moments of weakness. You'll still get your fix, with minimal calories, and natural ingredients.

But, in the end, it is input vs output. I am just trying to push the quality of that input!!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Any treat is acceptable as long as it fits into your goals.
  • doctorwalrus
    Options
    I have a coworker who is dieting but hates exercise. I don't think he realises how many of these bad boys he could be having

http://www.chocablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/kitkat2.jpg