Need more protein...advice?

Options
I find myself eating less meat in my new lifestyle choice. Some days none at all, and I don't want my protein to suffer.

What are foods found at a regular grocery store with high protein and low calories? And please don't say beans, I can't eat them. I have a huge aversion to them. I gag when I try. I try with eggs, but don't really care for them either. Can only eat them boiled or the smell gets to me.

Or a shake would be good too. But I can't afford those costly ones. Something that would last at least 2 weeks, and only $20 or so. I'm a poor person, lol.

Replies

• Dangerdick
    Options
    Tuna is awesome. One can is 120 calories and like 30g of protein

Egg Whites. One carton is 240 calories and 56g of protein.
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    salmon. chicken.

the two absolute best sources of protein in the world. one of them is cheap enough to eat daily.

[edit] there are no beans that have a favorable protein:carb balance. I love some black beans, but they are carb overload.
  • curvyin2014
    Options
    Cottage Cheese Protein: 13g per ½-cup
    Quinoa Protein: 8g per 1 cup (cooked
    Greek Yogurt Protein: 15g per 6-oz container
    Peanut Butter Protein: 8g per 2 Tbsp
  • BreeJaxon
    BreeJaxon Posts: 128
    Options
    Milk should be your best friend!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    I go through phases like that, and even when I do eat meat I have a hard time eating a lot in one sitting. I mix egg whites into my smoothies & oatmeal, eat a lot of yogurt, fish chicken, I find chicken and turkey sausage to be easier for me to eat than straight chicken. Quinoa has a lot of protein. Cottage cheese, nuts & nut butters

Eta: also I like to make casserole type dishes, and soups or stews, feels less like eating a hunk of meat
  • lynleeg88
    lynleeg88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ah, just saw another active thread about this. so sorry guys! I'll go over there.

I'll look into tuna, and def that shake!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    lean meats
    nuts/ trail mix
    peanut butter or pb2 (whatever kind you like/works for you)
    protein powder
    protein supplements
    protein bars (Quest, Clif bars, Kind bars etc)
    shrimp
    tuna
    Maybe try different kind of beans that you have been using?
    Kale or spinach
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I usually only eat meat once a day at most. My go to's are 2% cottage cheese, boiled eggs, skim milk (taste preference), peanut butter, hummus, almonds, cashews, edamame, sunflower seeds, greek yogurt and various whole grains (quinoa is the only complete protein, but the others have more protein than you might think). I just bought some of the ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (2lbs/$27.99 on Amazon, 28 servings) to have something portable and inexpensive after my rides.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of dairy. Greek yogurt and cottage cheese mostly.

I use Body Fortress protein powder. A lot of people hate it but it's cheap and it tastes good. I get it at Walmart.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I put vanilla or ice cream flavored protein powder (1/2 scoop) into one serving of cottage cheese, ricotta cheese or greek yogurt. Then I add flavored sugar free syrup (like Davinci, etc - cookie dough, english toffee, orange, cherry, etc). You get lots of protein between the powder and the cheese/yogurt and it tastes a bit like cheesecake to me (a stretch, but think of it as protein pudding...)
  • Jocampgrl
    Jocampgrl Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I use Body Fortress protein powder. A lot of people hate it but it's cheap and it tastes good. I get it at Walmart.

Why do people hate it? Never heard of it
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    I usually only eat meat once a day at most. My go to's are 2% cottage cheese, boiled eggs, skim milk (taste preference), peanut butter, hummus, almonds, cashews, edamame, sunflower seeds, greek yogurt and various whole grains (quinoa is the only complete protein, but the others have more protein than you might think). I just bought some of the ON Gold Standard 100% Whey (2lbs/$27.99 on Amazon, 28 servings) to have something portable and inexpensive after my rides.

Hummus, mmm...I love that stuff. And I was eating edamame, I'll get some more next time I shop. Was delicious and filling.

Quinoa? What is that?
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    salmon. chicken.

the two absolute best sources of protein in the world. one of them is cheap enough to eat daily.

[edit] there are no beans that have a favorable protein:carb balance. I love some black beans, but they are carb overload.

Salmon is my favorite, and I eat mostly that and chicken when I do eat meat. Occasionally turkey meat.
  • rwam
    rwam Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://www.vitacost.com/designer-whey-protein-powder-chocolate-2-lbs-1
    These guys have good prices on protein shake powder and plenty of brands available. This one is my favorite, my wife likes the vanilla best. 100 calories gets you 18 grams of protein.
    I also like egg beaters brand egg whites to make scrambled eggs.
    Can't seem to do the greek yogurt thing myself...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Why do people hate it? Never heard of it

It's not one of the more expensive brands. But it's got a decent calories to protein ratio. And I think that flavors of protein powder are pretty personal. It's best to just try one and see if you like it, because no one else's opinion is going to mean much.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options

Hummus, mmm...I love that stuff. And I was eating edamame, I'll get some more next time I shop. Was delicious and filling.

Quinoa? What is that?

Quinoa is a grain, it's been around forever but more recently it's one of the newer trends because it's gluten free. similar texture too couscous, and you use it as you would rice and couscous. It's got a good amount of protein for a grain.
  • lynleeg88
    Options
    Ah, they sell that at the regular stores or only health foods?