With all the Boobs threads, I thought a PSA might be good

Options
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2275741/?tool=pmcentrez
That is a scientific study. It tells us that 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra. This, factually speaking is unhealthy for you.

Reddit's: A Bra That Fits is a subreddit dedicated to women finding a bra for them. Here is the link for them:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits

Here is the measurement guide:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide

Here is the FAQ.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/faq

This is my first time trying to post links so I hope it works...

edit: it didn't work :(

When copying the links, copy the whole thing, from http all the way down to the last letter!

Replies

• wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    That's so stupid. I've yet to meet anyone that dumb that they can't figure out their own size.
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    When you wean your baby - trust me... no idea what's going on with my bra size at the mo.
    But yeah... I pretty much agree with your statement.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have a tape measurer ready and I am free to assist.
  • Kurindal
    Kurindal Posts: 355
    Options
    While you may think it may be stupid, that study is solid statistics on the fact that most women are mistaken about their own measurements. Might be worth a read through the websites for all the women.
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    That's so stupid. I've yet to meet anyone that dumb that they can't figure out their own size.

Congrats on being one of a minority of women who either wears a common size (that can be purchased for less than $40) or was taught how a bra should feel.
    I personally wore the wrong size for most the time I have worn bras because 1) My mother taught me wrong, because her mother taught her wrong. 2) I have a 29 in. ribcage and only fancy department stores (not Victoria's Secret) even carries a 30D or 30E.
    3) Most bras of the correct size, for me, cost more money than a tank of gas
  • Kurindal
    Options

Congrats on being one of a minority of women who either wears a common size (that can be purchased for less than $40) or was taught how a bra should feel.
    I personally wore the wrong size for most the time I have worn bras because 1) My mother taught me wrong, because her mother taught her wrong. 2) I have a 29 in. ribcage and only fancy department stores (not Victoria's Secret) even carries a 30D or 30E.
    3) Most bras of the correct size, for me, cost more money than a tank of gas

Thanks, if I'm honest I felt marginally creepy posting this, but I thought it would be good for everyone to see, and maybe some people chiming in that it's true won't make people think I'm full of **** ^ _ ^
  • JeaninePaige
    JeaninePaige Posts: 464 Member
    Options

*waves* Another dumb one here lol...
    I was wearing the wrong size for a while until I got measured. Didn't realize the cups were too small for me and that's why something just felt "off" all the time. Now that I went up bras feel much better.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Really? Whats the point of fitting rooms in the store?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Many/most stores don't carry larger cup sizes, making them quite difficult to try on in stores.

Add me to the list of dummies. The measure your band size and add on a cup per inch method is what I was taught and it just doesn't work for everyone. Also, I didn't believe I could be a 34H, but here I am.
  • Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    So what is the proper way to do your measurement and figure out proper cup size? Right now I wear a 34D
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options

Waving wildly... me me... I am that dumb...
    I lost 150 lbs :) I had a really hard time figuring out my adjusted bra size after all that weight loss... then after being totally confounded I finally measured myself... it happens...

Then even more confounded when my cup size went up from where I was thinking I was especially since I was awesomely looking forward to going down a cup size or two....
  • Kurindal
    Options
    So what is the proper way to do your measurement and figure out proper cup size? Right now I wear a 34D

I included all the links you should need in the original post, just copy and paste the one for the sizing guide!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Also, the fact is that a lot of people don't know how they're supposed to fit. The tendency is to wear the band too big and then size the cups down to try to get them to fit right. SO someone should be a 34D, but they're walking around in a 36C and wondering why it rides up in the back and doesn't feel supportive.

The band is supposed to be tight enough that the whole thing stays up if you drop the straps off your shoulders. The cup is supposed to come up around but not cut in anywhere.

In addition, a number of the most famous lingerie brands actually promote wearing the wrong size. The models in the pictures with flesh curving up above the line of the cup are actually wearing badly-fitting bras. You can get away with it if you're posing in certain positions, or if your breasts are so silicone-filled they stand up on their own, but the look in the catalogs is often the result of a bad fit.
  • Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

I included all the links you should need in the original post, just copy and paste the one for the sizing guide!

Yeah did that first before asking here, but it says page not found
  • Kurindal
    Options

Yeah did that first before asking here, but it says page not found

http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/fit_guide

try that
  • truetarot1988
    truetarot1988 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was having a hell of a time finding a comfortable bra, until I went to JCPenney, they measured me & said the same thing.... MOST women are wearing the wrong size and don't even know it. It sparked my curiosity... yep, most of the chicks I asked said the same thing, "mine's uncomfortable", "I just thought no one liked wearing bras", "You mean everyone's straps aren't supposed to fit just right?" yeah, you are right, most women just don't know they have the wrong size. Thanks for posting this. (& I'm willing to bet there's gonna be tons of us measuring our chickens after reading this) :)
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    What I found interesting when I was measured is That I order to get it right, you really have to be wearing a pretty good bra to start. The women at nordstroms are my saviors! Without them, I'd definitely be wearing the wrong size! Most women have a smaller band and larger cup size than they expect. I know that was true for me. I've worn the wrong size for great portions of my life. By the way, VS never measures me correctly and ALWAYS think they have a bra that fits me. They don't.
  • Kurindal
    Options
    I was having a hell of a time finding a comfortable bra, until I went to JCPenney, they measured me & said the same thing.... MOST women are wearing the wrong size and don't even know it. It sparked my curiosity... yep, most of the chicks I asked said the same thing, "mine's uncomfortable", "I just thought no one liked wearing bras", "You mean everyone's straps aren't supposed to fit just right?" yeah, you are right, most women just don't know they have the wrong size. Thanks for posting this. (& I'm willing to bet there's gonna be tons of us measuring our chickens after reading this) :)

That's the goal! A lot of people here are losing weight, so the remeasure is likely going to be needed regardless, but I want everyone to be healthy!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

The fitting room is useless if none of the bras fit. I also didn't know they made a bra size for me until this past year. Prior to that I would cut and sew the bands myself. I have a 26 inch rib cage.

In the store they will say to increase the band by 4 inches, and even doing that they didn't have one in that size.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Jockey brand bras are sized volumetrically... You order a sizing kit and well, there are plastic cups you use to find the proper size. I haven't tried their bras yet but I really liked the idea of it.