Whey protein powder symptoms question...

Options
Hello everyone,

First of all, I am not a protein shake drinker. I started drinking some yesterday and today is my second day. My father got 2 different flavors and wanted to try them out. The first night, after 30 mins I noticed that my throat was getting itchy. I put water with the whey so it's for sure the actual powder. I did the same with the other flavor tonight and seem to be having an itchy throat again. I was wondering if I keep drinking those, will it get worse or it'll just be an itchy throat? I drink just 1 shake a day anyway and it's usually before bedtime since I do my workout late :smile: I do appreciate the help, advices and tips, thank you!

Sincerely,
~ Sophy

Replies

• creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Do you have any food allergies?
  • MsSophySticated
    MsSophySticated Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No, never have. I did research and many people who didn't have any allergies to milk are allergic to whey. But the itchiness isn't too bad, I do want to drink some and just wondered if it would worsen or not, that's my issue... :frown:
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I was trying to mix mine with a spoon. I think because it wasn't thoroughly mixed. I use my mini blender now and it's much better. No swelling or anything that might have been linked to some sort of allergies? If it was just scratchy, it might be that some of the powder got stuck or something. I found that happened with certain brands. Do you feel ok otherwise? Check the ingredients list too. Is there anything else that might have caused this? And what did you mix it with? I get that sometimes with coconut water (no idea why). Just be careful! If it's an allergy, there are other types of protein powder that you can look into. I had some vegan ones that had the best chocolate I've ever tasted. I can't remember the name though. Darn it!
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    This happened to me when I was trying to mix mine with a spoon. I think because it wasn't thoroughly mixed. I use my mini blender now and it's much better. No swelling or anything that might have been linked to some sort of allergies? If it was just scratchy, it might be that some of the powder got stuck or something. I found that happened with certain brands. Do you feel ok otherwise? Check the ingredients list too. Is there anything else that might have caused this? And what did you mix it with? I get that sometimes with coconut water (no idea why). Just be careful! If it's an allergy, there are other types of protein powder that you can look into. I had some vegan ones that had the best chocolate I've ever tasted. I can't remember the name though. Darn it!

That's very useful, I will try to blend it, we shall see *crossing fingers* I did have lots of chunks since it wasn't mixed perfectly but the taste didn't bother me. Thank you for the tip, hopefully that's it! :smile: Yes I feel great otherwise, I don't have the swelling, just itchiness.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is an inferior product.
  • creativerick
    Options
    If you think it is your (lack) of mixing...

Use warm water (not hot), drop 3 ice cubes in, add powder, mix until ice cubs are dissolved...

You can thank me later.
    Rich

BA in Biology & Chemistry
  • MsSophySticated
    Options

Use warm water (not hot), drop 3 ice cubes in, add powder, mix until ice cubs are dissolved...

You can thank me later.
    Rich

I am not sure if that's it yet, I have yet to try it out :smile: Thank you Rich, I appreciate it, I will try it for sure! :happy:
  • creativerick
    Options

You can thank me later.
    Rich

I am not sure if that's it yet, I have yet to try it out :smile: Thank you Rich, I appreciate it, I will try it for sure! :happy:

I know it may sound crazy... but it works and takes less than 60 seconds. I usually mix mine in my shaker cup with 2 ice cubes instead of the wire ball thingy.
  • MsSophySticated
    Options

You can thank me later.
    Rich

I know it may sound crazy... but it works and takes less than 60 seconds. I usually mix mine in my shaker cup with 2 ice cubes instead of the wire ball thingy.

How warm is warm? I know it sounds stupid to ask but since I can't boil it, I was wondering how warm it has to be HAHA I really hope this will work, I'll be forever grateful :bigsmile: I was using a spoon, never tried the ball :smile:
  • creativerick
    Options

You can thank me later.
    Rich

How warm is warm? I know it sounds stupid to ask but since I can't boil it, I was wondering how warm it has to be HAHA I really hope this will work, I'll be forever grateful :bigsmile: I was using a spoon, never tried the ball :smile:

Warm... as in not cold. If you make it too warm, it'll be fine. Your shake just won't be cold when you finish. And when you are mixing, remember there are ice cubes in there. If you go crazy with the spoon, protein will fly everywhere.
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    Warm... as in not cold. If you make it too warm, it'll be fine. Your shake just won't be cold when you finish. And when you are mixing, remember there are ice cubes in there. If you go crazy with the spoon, protein will fly everywhere.

Oh okay, I don't mind it being warm :smile: It'll be like a hot chocolate, sort of :tongue:. Also I read that you're not supposed to "boil" the protein powder, I have no idea if that's true or not but since the water will be really hot from being boiled, I wouldn't want it to be all messed up because of it. Sorry for all the questions, you're the best! HAHA
  • creativerick
    Options
    The nutritional value will be the same... I've never done it personally, but people cook with protein powder all the time. I've made protein infused pancakes before haha
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    The nutritional value will be the same... I've never done it personally, but people cook with protein powder all the time. I've made protein infused pancakes before haha

Oh perfect then, I thought it was gonna mess it up. Not get all the nutrients etc... Thank you so much, this all really helped and I cannot wait to try it out :bigsmile:
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem ..it was because i used to mix it with a spoon not a blender lol ..just blend it and u will be fine and u r gonna notice a big difference in the flavour specially if u add some ice !
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I kind of like the clumps of protein when I mix it with a spoon. :embarassed:
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    I kind of like the clumps of protein when I mix it with a spoon. :embarassed:

I did too but rather blend it all than to have this itchy throat :frown:
  • baptistforlife
    Options
    I stopped with the protein powder drinks but when I did drink them I would mix it before my workout and let it set in the fridge with a spoon the whole time i was working out (about an hour) then when i was done working out i would remix it and it was fully dissolved!!!
  • MsSophySticated
    Options
    I stopped with the protein powder drinks but when I did drink them I would mix it before my workout and let it set in the fridge with a spoon the whole time i was working out (about an hour) then when i was done working out i would remix it and it was fully dissolved!!!

I sadly did that the first day. I made the shake before my workout and since the water was room temperature I wanted it to be cold. So I put it in the fridge but I still had crumbs in there afterward. I can't wait to try if the ice will work, or the blender. Thank you all for the tips, I truly appreciate it! :heart: