Vacation Dilemma

kyoske
kyoske Posts: 16
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So tomorrow through Saturday my fiance and I are going to upstate NY to find a wedding venue. This means a lot of wine tasting. I'm a light weight, and i am also trying to lose weight. However, I don't want to be a downer about this, so I am worried about food/exercise. I won't be able to do my 5 x a week workout this week nor even next week as I am in a wedding. So there are 2 hard weeks ahead of time, that involve a lot of food, and no real way to get around it. I plan to eat as healthy as i can, but the alcohol alone is going to put me over my caloric allowance.

What can i do?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Enjoy your life, drink as much water as you can and get back on track when you get back.
  • Thanks. That is most likely what will happen in reality. I'm going to try and get at least a few workouts inbetween the two.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Thanks. That is most likely what will happen in reality. I'm going to try and get at least a few workouts inbetween the two.

Hey we are in this for the long haul, you still gotta live your life, and every day do what you can and enjoy it.
  • My hubby and I also have two vacations coming up so I know that there will be a lot of eating out. I just picked up the book "eat this, not that" and it gives you better choices for restaurants, snacks, etc. Also, if you know where you want to eat, you might be able to look up nutritional info online and plan your meals ahead of time. I'd also pack some snacks that you can control. Pringles fat free chips are my new favorite! Apples & bananas are easy to take along and you can eat one before you buy your meal so that you don't eat as much of the bad stuff. Anyway, don't stress too much, just do the best you can and get back on track when you get home. A couple of days shouldn't make too much of a difference as long as you don't binge~ :smile:
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    We are going to Disneyworld first week in October and I have really been concerned about the calories and exercise. I will not be able to check in and this site has been such a blessing. I am going to concentrate on water intake and having fun. Hope you have a lovely time!
  • Actually having recently been to Disney World I can tell you that you will probably come out even. A Disney vacation generally includes a lot of walking, and standing, and so on. I also got the benefit of the fact I basically did abdominal exercises while on the faster rides [as I tended to stress about them].

It is hard to be away from the site, and I don't remember them having free wireless.

Good luck!!! Keep in mind Disney does kind of keep health in mind, so it won't be abysmal for you :)
  • Actually having recently been to Disney World I can tell you that you will probably come out even. A Disney vacation generally includes a lot of walking, and standing, and so on. I also got the benefit of the fact I basically did abdominal exercises while on the faster rides [as I tended to stress about them].

It is hard to be away from the site, and I don't remember them having free wireless.

Good luck!!! Keep in mind Disney does kind of keep health in mind, so it won't be abysmal for you :)

This is pretty true. They try to cater to different diet styles and their is actually fresh fruit for sale in various parts of the parks. (Just keep reminding yourself the smell of cookies and cinnamon rolls on Main Street is fabricated. - Seriously it is. It's piped up from under the street. lol. Nothing is actually smelling that good. There's a mantra for you.)

And the walking is ridiculous, seriously, you could probably log 6-8 hours of leisurely walking in a day.

Recently I had to go on two work trips sandwiched around vacation. OMG, it was pretty much 3 weeks of not being able to work out or log food accurately. Just try to make the healthiest choices possible and be as active as you can. Go on a site-seeing walk in the evening if you're in an area for it. I ended up going up about 3-5 lbs but most of it was gone within a week or so.

Life involves these things and you can't be an A+ nutritionalist all the time. Have fun!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    We have our Honeymoon next month to Egypt and it's an all inclusive criuse along the Nile for the first Week, then go to Cairo for a while then fly tp Luxor and a 5* hotel with fabulous restaurants. Probably gain, but it's my Honeymoon, am I going to not enjoy my food?! :heart:

Enjoy your time planning your Wedding, taste the wine and just be good when you get back home.

Good luck and have fun!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mcpherson4
    mcpherson4 Posts: 287 Member
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. They do not have free wireless. I will miss this site so much.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    If the hotel has cable TV, I bet you can find an exercise program in the AM to follow along with, or whenever you have some free time. Take a walk, do pushups and situps, run the stairs, and so on. There are plenty of exercise opportunities that don't require a gym. Enjoy the wine, but go slow and get as much water as you can as well. Taste the food and just eat the things you like or are special. Skip the stuff you can have any/every day. Who needs another roll with butter? Shrimp or lobster on the other hand, GO for it!
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    You can live life and enjoy food without totally overindulging. I remember one technique from weight watchers called visualization. If you have a pretty good idea of what types of foods there will be, you can mentally rehearse, seeing yourself take only portion sizes or choosing the healthier options. You could decide to take a sip of the wine instead of drinking the whole glass... things like that. It may sound a little stupid, but I've done this before when I knew I had buffet meals coming up and it worked for me. I've seen a big change in the way I approach eating during social events and all-you-can-eat type situations.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    If you are going to a winery, check out and ask if they have any tours. Wineries are huge, you can get in at least two to three hours of leisurely walking if you're allowed to walk around it.
This discussion has been closed.